• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome back Benik Afobe

Yep, I don't think Benik is making comments like that unless the bridge to Bournemouth was already burned before he got here.

Yep, I don't think Benik is making comments like that unless the bridge to Bournemouth was already burned before he got here.

Not sure i agree, i just think he is being naive, if there is even a 10% chance we won't sign him (which there surely is) then he will be going back to Bournemouth with his tail between his legs having made all of these comments.

I also struggle to swallow this "coming home" line, as if that really was the case, he wouldn't have left in the first place.

Not sure i agree, i just think he is being naive, if there is even a 10% chance we won't sign him (which there surely is) then he will be going back to Bournemouth with his tail between his legs having made all of these comments.

I also struggle to swallow this "coming home" line, as if that really was the case, he wouldn't have left in the first place.

I don't think he's being naive at all, I think that, in conjunction with the club, he has embarked upon a huge PR exercise to get the fans back behind him - which judging by Saturday's crowd reaction to him has worked really well. I think the aim is to get the fans behind him and if he impresses then permanent contract in the summer - part one accomplished!

Naive, staged, genuine, whatever. People take this sort of thing FAR too seriously and seem to hang on every word to try and see something that isn't there. It's just an interview with a new signing FFS.

Naive, staged, genuine, whatever. People take this sort of thing FAR too seriously and seem to hang on every word to try and see something that isn't there. It's just an interview with a new signing FFS.

You're the one who is getting in a tis.

This is a forum, the place to talk about things, and this interview is probably the most emotional i've ever seen from a player, he's talking about himself being in tears, and how it was his worst/best moment in football it's definitely a talking point, no?

I'm cool as a cucumber, ta. Talking point - yeah, absolutely. But I think people look a bit too hard between the lines to find something that isn't there. Not so much on here - I was referring to the t'interweb in general. Have you seen some the arguments on Twitter?

I'm cool as a cucumber, ta. Talking point - yeah, absolutely. But I think people look a bit too hard between the lines to find something that isn't there. Not so much on here - I was referring to the t'interweb in general. Have you seen some the arguments on Twitter?

Ah, yeah fair enough.

There has been a bit of an explosion (as much as there can be) from Bournemouth fans this morning, but i can't really blame them. Rolls reversed we'd be pretty pissed off if one of our players (and he is still their player) was saying the things he has.

Another point is that BA's comments may actually make his negotiating position weaker when it comes to what he earns from Wolves.

Ah, yeah fair enough.

There has been a bit of an explosion (as much as there can be) from Bournemouth fans this morning, but i can't really blame them. Rolls reversed we'd be pretty pissed off if one of our players (and he is still their player) was saying the things he has.

Another point is that BA's comments may actually make his negotiating position weaker when it comes to what he earns from Wolves.
I’ll put what. Said the other day to respond to this.

Well if it was a player who was surplus to requirements you wouldn’t really give a shit. They think he’s surplus so have let him go. If Joe Mason went back to Cardiff on loan and started shouting “it’s great to be back” then I don’t think anyone would care.

I don’t really get the issues with what he’s saying. We know why he left, whether he loved it or not (and he clearly did at first), to further his career as we were going backwards and there is also the argument he was ushered out by M+M to cash in.

He wants to get his career back on track and he’s seen an opportunity to join a big club looking to go to the top, where he is already loved by the fans and had a great time. I’d be excited!

Yep, I agree with that Mason comparison.

Afobe had slipped to 4th/5th choice down there, I doubt their fans really care too much about a surplus player leaving or what he has to say. If Mason went to Cardiff and said he was determined to stay there then I'd be pleased, because there'd be less of a chance of him ever coming back and we might one day get him off our wage bill.

Bournemouth will probably end up breaking even on the fee that they paid for him which isn't bad going considering he failed there.

There might even be a few of our fans on Twitter* that would slag the comments that Average Joe makes about his new club.

*It could be argued that this platform doesn't quite make up a representative sample of that clubs fans.

Oh god I had forgotten about that. Was it O'Hara he started wide for the first ten minutes?

Away at Hillsborough he put O'Hara at holding mid and had Henry and Foley in CM in front. I cant remember if O'Hara was subbed on for that role, but I can still picture Henry motioning towards the bench as if to say 'Am I hearing this right?' prior to Saunders directing him further forward.

Texted my bro and told him to put money on us getting relegated on the tram home. Think he got as high as 14-1 on us at that time.

I've changed my mind about Afobe. As others said I don't think he fits into this system. Bonatini is excellent at bringing others into play and Afobe isn't. He needs to add that to his game.

Afobe does look more dangerous than Leo from crosses though.

I've changed my mind about Afobe. As others said I don't think he fits into this system. Bonatini is excellent at bringing others into play and Afobe isn't. He needs to add that to his game.

Afobe does look more dangerous than Leo from crosses though.

You changed your mind about that from 12 minutes of play?

Yep, it seemed pretty obvious to me that his link up play needs a lot of work to fit into how we play
I mean, fair enough, but I came away much more impressed than I expected.

What a bizarre way to form an opinion.

He came on for 12 minutes in a game we had already won, weren’t really making an effort to attack/score, taken off our 3 attacking players, and were purely seeing the game yet nearly scored twice?

Yeah I can’t judge him on that. Over than that he was clearly very keen and worked very hard in that short time. He also played slightly to the right for a tiny bit which won’t happen again

I too was impressed with his cameo against Sheffield United and that, with his buzzing attitude, I am more than willing to see what he has to offer in the remainder of the season. He may not be Aboubakar or Andre Silva but people seem to have forgotten just how good his record was for us in his first spell and our team is much better now too

I didn't say he didn't look dangerous or that he could have scored. What I'm saying is he doesn't have the link up play element in his game right now. Nuno said he needs to adjust and I think Nuno is right. If he can play with this team he'll be deadly.

Back