• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Things that make you SAD thread.

Hope it goes as well as these things can, Langers.

Hope your family are looking after each other right now Langers. Celebrate the life and the good times you shared.

To Langers, hope all goes off ok today as you say a goodbye to your Nan.

Although it's difficult to see beyond the sorrow, may looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.

Kevin Smith has had a massive heart attack

So looks like Toys r us and Maplin are going bust.
Someone called the TRU one about 18 months ago on YouTube..
How Maplin has survived so long is a mystery,so expensive for everything and its like walking into fucking Tandy's circa 1986,infact it seems to be replicating Radio Shack in the states.

So many folks losing their jobs, such a shame.

The problem when retailers start to get into trouble is it comes out into the public domain when they could still find a way through. It then becomes a self fulfilling situation as consumers abandon them worried that they are going under and they won't get their goods or be able to return them if necessary.

Didn't know about Maplin, might have to see if I can get me a bargain on a Nest thermostat thing.

Didn't know about Maplin, might have to see if I can get me a bargain on a Nest thermostat thing.

Get one Mark, even if you can't get it at a bargain, it will be worth it. Love mine.

Get one Mark, even if you can't get it at a bargain, it will be worth it. Love mine.

You love a thermostat?

I'll only plump for a bargain as I think our heating system is setup as dual zone so we'll need two of them, plus it's not a job that's going to be done imminently and it'll end up being a right faff as what appear to be two different zones at the moment have completely different means of control so it might be a right mess to sort out.

Plenty of other jobs to cross of the list first!

You love a thermostat?

I'll only plump for a bargain as I think our heating system is setup as dual zone so we'll need two of them, plus it's not a job that's going to be done imminently and it'll end up being a right faff as what appear to be two different zones at the moment have completely different means of control so it might be a right mess to sort out.

Plenty of other jobs to cross of the list first!

Well maybe not ' love it ' as in I'd like to take it to bed, not that kind of love. but it is a clever little bugger which is more than I can say for me.

Which reminds me to go to the Annoy Thread...

Well maybe not ' love it ' as in I'd like to take it to bed, not that kind of love. but it is a clever little bugger which is more than I can say for me.

Which reminds me to go to the Annoy Thread...

How much of the 'smart' side of it do you actually use?

From what I've read the feature that's supposed to learn your routine and create it's own timings based on that usually ends up being a crock of shit, I don't think I'd really use much of that side of it like controlling it from your phone (although that could occasionally be useful when you're heading home earlier than expected) and some of the other stuff, I was more taken by it learning how quickly it takes for you house to warm/cool so it can offset the timing on your boiler to suit when you actually want it at the set temperature because our old-ass house holds heat like a sieve holds water. Also, Nest apparently has better long term prospects for adding lighting and other appliances in the future which I think could be useful.

The problem when retailers start to get into trouble is it comes out into the public domain when they could still find a way through. It then becomes a self fulfilling situation as consumers abandon them worried that they are going under and they won't get their goods or be able to return them if necessary.

Bricks and mortar retailers are always going to struggle when they don't have the ability to keep the same inventory as Amazon or invest in their toy experience in their stores. Particularly Toys 'R Us whose parent company filed for bankruptcy in the US last year.

Maplin are a different story and I don't think they'll go under. They're owned by venture capitalists who want to sell and they have a billionairre buyer who wants to buy, just not at the same price. I'm sure they will come to an agreement, get a an administrative deal with creditors or let it go and immediately 'phoenix' the company the next day.

Watching a family member go from being a very active person, physically and mentally,to someone who can no longer do very much of anything really.

How chemo sort of perks the person up a bit for a while, giving the person that little bit of hope....and then it all goes tits up.

Fucking heartbreaking. And religious people who try to convince me there is a God. FUCK OFF IS THERE!

How much of the 'smart' side of it do you actually use?

From what I've read the feature that's supposed to learn your routine and create it's own timings based on that usually ends up being a crock of shit, I don't think I'd really use much of that side of it like controlling it from your phone (although that could occasionally be useful when you're heading home earlier than expected) and some of the other stuff, I was more taken by it learning how quickly it takes for you house to warm/cool so it can offset the timing on your boiler to suit when you actually want it at the set temperature because our old-ass house holds heat like a sieve holds water. Also, Nest apparently has better long term prospects for adding lighting and other appliances in the future which I think could be useful.

Google Nest?

If so, you can also do home security monitoring from it. The team are based in the building I work in.

Think it was the Independent that commented on Maplins strange business plan of selling £50 hdmi leads in-store but only selling cheaper ones online.
Price wise,even a place like Wilkos pisses on the very same imported (but packaged differently) electrical accessories.

Oddly enough I think the only time I've been into Maplin in town was when I was after a HDMI cable. They wanted the thick end of £20 for their cheapest one. Fuck that, Poundland sell 1m ones for £1. Ridiculous business model.

Incidentally anyone spending big money on such a cable has been done over, they all do the exact same job. So long as they connect at both ends then it's job done. I still have said £1 cable, still working fine now five years later.

I do think there is a place for such a shop but recently I needed some contact cleaner, Maplins was £8 and next door at Halfords (another "all over the place" shop) it was £4 for the very same brand!..Surely they price check items?

Apparently (according to reports) people love the Maplins "knowledge" which I can only compare to the Currys "knowledge"

Strange how some things get priced.

The only thing I have ever bought from Maplins was the two LED security lights we have, originally saw them in B&Q at something like £70 a piece, had a quick look online and got two for little more than that at Maplins, where I'd never even have thought to look.

Not long ago had a text from our bowls club chairman. He's found out that one of our players died suddenly a month ago. No illness or anything.
The fellas funeral is next wednesday.
He'd only been playing with us for a couple of years, but was a nice fella. Had a disabled son, and I don't know what will happen with him. He was infuriating, in that he couldn't master text messages, and so we had to make sure he knew where matches were, and call him if a game was cancelled. He was half deaf too. But he was pleasant, and a character.

Dunno if it a reminder of my own mortality or what, but really feel for the fact he was a nice guy, and it's a real shame. Was looking forward to the start of the new season until I read that text.

Not long ago had a text from our bowls club chairman. He's found out that one of our players died suddenly a month ago. No illness or anything.
The fellas funeral is next wednesday.
He'd only been playing with us for a couple of years, but was a nice fella. Had a disabled son, and I don't know what will happen with him. He was infuriating, in that he couldn't master text messages, and so we had to make sure he knew where matches were, and call him if a game was cancelled. He was half deaf too. But he was pleasant, and a character.

Dunno if it a reminder of my own mortality or what, but really feel for the fact he was a nice guy, and it's a real shame. Was looking forward to the start of the new season until I read that text.

Lost 3 of our members at the end of last year (though as the average age profile will be 60+ thats merely a fact of life)

Plus 2 others who had serious heart attacks (both happily survived thanks to the Air Ambulance service - something we have as a club always supported - a number of our fundraising events send the proceeds to them)

Back