• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Things that make you SAD thread.

Like I've said before, there are few things in life I actively hate, that disease is one of them.

Puts getting knocked out of a World Cup into perspective for me.

My mum passed away the day before England v Argentina in 1998. The football was a good temporary distraction but because of the circumstances Owen's 'wonder goal' provides nothing but sad memories.

Somethings pinched and ate the 4 baby birds that were in my tree.

Seeing a homeless old man being picked on and made fun of.

Absolutely. Lost my father to it, and also a bloody good friend. Vile disease.

+1 - lost my father & nephew (when aged 5) to it. Plus sister in law just diagnosed with bowel cancer (+ secondary's which is not good).

Just glad that she is in an area that have funding & access to the best drugs - pissed off that the chance you have depends on where you live.

That I couldnt be bothered to take the labels off my England shirt.

And that I am looking forward to tonights USA match more than I was Englands last match

+1 - lost my father & nephew (when aged 5) to it. Plus sister in law just diagnosed with bowel cancer (+ secondary's which is not good).

Just glad that she is in an area that have funding & access to the best drugs - pissed off that the chance you have depends on where you live.

Does anyone else think the disease is more prevalent now than ever before, or just as we get older were noticing it more ?

Does anyone else think the disease is more prevalent now than ever before, or just as we get older were noticing it more ?

Not clear cut as whilst lifestyle clearly has an impact, suspect that in earlier days deaths were not necessarily ascribed to cancer as not enough was known about it to define this as the cause of death.

We are now more aware & hopefully funding greater research to combat. Still a problem (at least in the UK) that many treatments are either not available on the NHS due to cost or only in some areas who have managed to access funds from the government special drugs fund. My sister in law has access to Avastin (a high cost, but effective drug) through this scheme. Whilst I am glad that she has this option it should be available to all that need it.

Not clear cut as whilst lifestyle clearly has an impact, suspect that in earlier days deaths were not necessarily ascribed to cancer as not enough was known about it to define this as the cause of death.

Also previously it was much more common for something else to kill you long before cancer was likely to become an issue. We have cures for most of the diseases that limited life expectancy before. Also a generally more healthy lifestyle - most people in this country pay at least some attention to diet, exercise, not drinking/smoking too much, we all work in much better conditions these days - again it leaves cancer as the remaining thing that will get you.

Also a generally more healthy lifestyle - most people in this country pay at least some attention to diet, exercise, not drinking/smoking too much...

I wouldn't have thought that's the case. Most people in this country are overweight, don't exercise and enjoy to excess on the booze front.

By what measure though?

35-40 years ago huge sections of the public went down the pub every single night as there was bugger all to do at home.

I wouldn't have thought that's the case. Most people in this country are overweight, don't exercise and enjoy to excess on the booze front.
Is it really the case that over 50% of people are overweight?

2 lads 1 fish.

Really wished I hadn't asked now :facepalm:

By what measure though?

35-40 years ago huge sections of the public went down the pub every single night as there was bugger all to do at home.

Well that's kind of my point. You can't really say either without any degree of accuracy.

Those people who go home instead of the pub.... They could well be drinking at home, not doing any exercise, getting takeaways etc.

I can only go by what I see everyday and that is ever increasing numbers of overweight and obese children who never partake in any after school exercise/play, stay in and chat/game online, eat convenience food, fizzy drinks, crisps etc. It comes from the parents too. These are the next generation and they are unhealthier than ever!

Back