• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We could probably find a handful of candidates, both here and in Europe. It'd mean overpaying though. And we could only play him or Leo not both. And the new guy would be expecting to play if he was good enough for the PL.

I guess we were interested in Oliveira in the summer but couldn't get him and we dithered too late to find someone else. We likely want to get him in nice and early this time.

I agree with Dan.

We are far too reliant on Leo and need someone to share the workload over the remainder of the season (especially as Leo looks knackered around the hour mark of every game).

There’s absolutely zero chance that Fosun are going to gamble on 1 senior striker over an entire season. If Nelson O is the man to come in, he’ll do a job and should fit the system well. I actually reckon we’ll sign a couple of strikers in Jan.

He's got better ability from what I have seen, than what Preston ask him to do. He wouldn't be as good as the one and two touch stuff than Bonatini does, however I think he'd be better at running in behind than Leo, and he is brutal in the air. The goal he got against us was a sublime finish.

I give you that he is better on the air. However, his touch is abysmal and link play shows all the vision of a mole.

Oliveira wouldn't have been my first choice, but as DW says, we could spend all month chasing after Tiquinho. Better to have Oliveira arrive on 1st Jan - besides, look at the improvement Nuno and coaching staff have brought about in some players. Oliveira at Wolves could be very different to Oliveira at Norwich

I don't buy that we are already up, I do agree that we should go up from here but gambling on Leo's fitness for another 5 months when we have dropped lucky in doing so for the last 5 would be reckless in the extreme and jeopardises our chances.

I want someone early in the window and realistically that will be someone on a par or backup to Leo rather than his replacement. If that's Martin, Oliveira or Grabban then I'm OK with that as long as the fee isn't stupid, we can then make the big signing in the Summer if and when we go up.

You might be right Norman, but you could equally apply that potential improvement to the likes of hugill - Olivera at the moment is massively selfish, doesn’t link llay, and barely even passes the ball if he’s within 25 yards of the goal.

We’re good at the moment because as well as having excellent players, we’re an even better team - the first time in my memory that the team is greater than the sun of its parts. Olivera isn’t a team player, he’s a massively selfish individual player.

While its fun to speculate, I'm sure Nuno knows who he wants and what he can get out of those players, so I'll be happy whoever he chooses, even I think he's a donkey

Under Nuno, I just don't see as signing any half decent championship striker for the sake of it. They have to be the right fit for the squad and the way we play, working towards the long term goal. If we identify Oliveira as that, fair enough but I don't agree with just signing the first player available ASAP. I'd rather we continue to give opportunities to Bright, for example, than do that.

If the right player becomes available I am all for it but I'm equally conscious of blocking young player's chances. It's a shame Ennis has been injured so often and we can't rely on his fitness because I'm a huge fan of his mind.

We have a squad that is better than everyone already by some distance, if we can strengthen great but I'm honestly not that worried if at the end of the month we don't sign anyone because we didn't fit the right fit. Just like I wasn't panicking when our only recognised forward was Bonatini when we sold Dicko and didn't manage to bring in a back up.

You might be right Norman, but you could equally apply that potential improvement to the likes of hugill - Olivera at the moment is massively selfish, doesn’t link llay, and barely even passes the ball if he’s within 25 yards of the goal.

We’re good at the moment because as well as having excellent players, we’re an even better team - the first time in my memory that the team is greater than the sun of its parts. Olivera isn’t a team player, he’s a massively selfish individual player.

Not sure I agree with this. He might prefer to shoot than pass, most strikers do (except Bonatini, but he should Possibly shoot more although his distant shooting has so far been poor). However watching the Blues v Norwich game he was the opposite, often coming deep and laying the ball off well.

He might also be more selfish as he thinks everyone else in the team is rubbish, whereas If he was playing with far superior players it might change his mindset and he also might be able to get involved in the 1-2s etc which might not be a thing at Norwich.

What we need to bear in mind is that I genuinely can't remember the last time I called it wrong. Oliviera would not be a good signing. /thread

Would you not expect that we already have someone lined up and ready to be unveiled as soon as the window opens?

Would you not expect that we already have someone lined up and ready to be unveiled as soon as the window opens?

Quite possibly. We worked pretty quickly in the summer in general.

Depends if the target is a first team player or not. Someone like Jota at Madrid is easy as he wasn’t wanted. Signing a teams first team striker like Oliveira might not be so easy.

Depends if the target is a first team player or not. Someone like Jota at Madrid is easy as he wasn’t wanted. Signing a teams first team striker like Oliveira might not be so easy.

Would you not think those are the type of players that Mendes has been offering though?

If Oliviera is a chosen signing by Nuno it must be because he feels he has some qualities that could be beneficial to this Wolves side during the second half of the season. Wolves open the field up far better than the other English clubs Oliviera has played for so his ability to run with the ball could prove to be a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back