• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the second half of the season I can see Costa absolutely tearing the league apart again. He was excellent against Millwall, setting up both goals and has made contributions in other games already despite being bit part so far.

In such a physical league as the season wears on he's going to be too sharp for everyone. It will almost be unfair. I'd be stunned if he was sold too, he's far too valuable.

Looked very good against blues (yes I know), didn’t look selfish at all. My worry is he is literally the same as Bonatini. Maybe a little bit quicker but who isn’t. He’s probably got a better finish on him too

Looked very good against blues (yes I know), didn’t look selfish at all. My worry is he is literally the same as Bonatini. Maybe a little bit quicker but who isn’t. He’s probably got a better finish on him too
I just remember at the beginning of the season he was in a spat with their manager over playing time and he really didn't handle it professionally, IMO. Not sure that's the character we need.

TheHeron on mol mix is saying we've got oliveria. From what I understand TheHeron is reliable

TheHeron on mol mix is saying we've got oliveria. From what I understand TheHeron is reliable

It wouldn't surprise me. Fits into our style, experience in this league with a decent record, Norwich are going nowhere and if we decide he's a six month only project, he's easy enough to get rid of at break even at worst.

Tbh I'd rather us not bother unless it's somebody that we're pretty confident can step up to the PL

Tbh I'd rather us not bother unless it's somebody that we're pretty confident can step up to the PL

And what if it's Oliveira (or someone of that ilk) or no-one...

We've been bloody lucky that Leo hasn't got injured so far, especially given the clobbering he takes in a lot of the games. We need a striker. I'm all for not wasting money on utter shite like Hugill, but Oliveira's about as risk free as it gets.

It wouldn't surprise me. Fits into our style, experience in this league with a decent record, Norwich are going nowhere and if we decide he's a six month only project, he's easy enough to get rid of at break even at worst.

Fair point. Regardless of how he does at Wolves half the championship would be lining up to sign him during the summer.

I'd take nobody. Jota, cav, costa, bright, Leo. We're gonna have to be very unlucky to lose three at a time, and then we've got some youngsters we could chuck in. We're promoted, there's no point in wasting money or space

If Leo's ruled out for the season on February 1st then I don't want our choice of central strikers to be made up of that lot. They're ok for a game or two, you might even do it by choice tactically occasionally, but they are not proper options.

Would be a pointless risk when we have the money and as I say...sign Oliveira for say £8m now, you'll have that £8m back if you want it in July.

I agree with that del - olivera’s Ok but nothing amazing. I’d rather get a younger backup that we can bring on, or an experienced loan given that we’ll then need a really good striker for the prem. Olivera isn’t prem quality. (And there’s no guarantee we’d get the £8m back, norwich haven’t had people falling over themselves to buy him since they got him)

Mixed norwich view here

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-davitt-column-on-oliveira-1-5307700

Or he could be meh, on wages the rest of the champ can't afford and we end up loaning him out until his contract finishes. I've seen nothing in him to suggest he could make it in the Premier league. It'd be not top dissimilar to when we signed Clarke in league one

Except we knew full well that Clarke was shit, and he was already 29 (?) when we were signing him, and had failed multiple times in the Championship, and sending him back to L1 wasn't an option because those clubs have no money whereas plenty of Championship clubs do have money, especially for strikers (tot up what Wednesday have spent on them in the last three years), and as a L1 club trying to sign a Championship standard striker for £1-2m, we had an immense amount of choice. Other than that, exactly the same ;)

We aren't going to bring him in and plonk him on £50k a week, are we. I don't think he's a PL player, he's too slow, though that said if Glenn Murray can still get goals up there then who knows.

Newcastle brought Daryl Murphy in as a short term project, they managed to get rid of him at roughly break even. He's 34 and has had about two good seasons ever.

And what if it's Oliveira (or someone of that ilk) or no-one...
Why would it be Oliveira or no-one? It just wouldn't happen. Plenty of players would be happy to join us.

I think we could do better, but am happy to trust Nuno on this. Most likely get him in to do a job for as minimal outlay as possible then look for someone better once we're up.

Didn't work that way at the end of August, did it? It ended up being no-one when we got stiffed on Locadia.

Get a good striker in for this level - which Oliveira is, though I would prefer Zohore if we could get him - ASAP and then that's that area dealt with. It needs doing, so get it done. If people seriously think we're going to lamp him on a massive contract and have him wasting away for years then words fail me.

Or we can go after say, Tiquinho all month, potentially not get him and then hope our one striker continues his record of no injuries for the entire season, as well as maintaining form. In a season where we really need to go up or we have to totally rebuild again while the likes of Boly, Neves and Jota slip through our fingers. Seems sensible.

We only went after Locadia at the end of the window though. I doubt he was first choice all the way through the summer or we'd have had him much earlier. We had him as well until PSV did the dirty on us.

What Del is suggesting is that we should sign no-one, absolutely no-one in that area unless we think they are definite PL quality. Irrespective of whether they can do a job for us in the final 20 odd games. Because we have an assortment of wingers, number 10s and inside forwards, plus Donovan Wilson, Duckens Nazon, Austin Samuels, Sherwin Seedorf and a crocked Niall Ennis who can fill in there if need be.

I say that's fucking barmy at a point when money isn't an object.

If we can sign better than Nelson Oliveira then go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back