• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defoe looks like he’s fucked his ankle and while Bournemouth have Wilson, King, Afobe and Mousset behind him none are really scoring. Plus Howe seems to like having loads of strikers he doesn’t play so hopefully that’s why they’re recalling him.

This is why I think we’re getting linked with playrs like Martin - as it is we’re already pushing it, I think it’s why Miranda doesn’t make the bench if he’s not playing, we need Batth in there for the homegrown quota.

Also the emergence of Bonatini as a serious player at this level has likely changed the plan from “new main striker” to “new backup Bonatini, and possibly offering us a different style”. So no longer linked with the same foreign players we were in the summer, but a bunch of British top-end Championship/low-end PL players which can do the same thing we got Clarke in for halfway through our League One season.

Miranda seems to be our extra defender on the bench when we play away. At home is when he doesnt get in the 18 at the moment.

You only need 6 home grown players in the 18 this season it moves to 7 in the Championship next year according to this link https://www.sports.legal/2017/04/pa...d-the-introduction-of-club-developed-players/

Last week we had 7 as by my reckoning Bright now counts. The only none qualified players I can think of that weren't in the squad last week were Baz, German Phil, Zyro and Prince only one of whom we will see again. So we aren't in any real danger of breaking the rule even if we were to sign one other none qualified player in Jan, but as stated above would have to remove either Vinagre or Miranda from the matchday squad if everyone was fit.

Think we are now in a really strong position for the window: can effectively guarantee players Premiership football next season. We are now 1/50 to go up and - as we know from the incisive brain of D Saunders Esq - "the bookies are never wrong." At least two ins and two outs for me and wouldn't be at all surprised to see Danny Batth leave. Marshall must have already packed.

Last edited:
Batth won't be going anywhere in this window.

I can just about see Zyro and Marshall going, even then I don't think they will.

We don't need to sell and they give us insurance against injuries. If all goes well they'll be off in the summer, but unlikely before then

Not sure about that. We’ve already got enough depth up front that those two struggle to fight for a spot in our backup cup XI, and now all they’re doing is taking up space we could and should be giving to youth players we think could have a first team future. Only reason they might not leave is nobody wanting them, but I think we’ll find some suitors.

Yeah, Marshall and Zyro to go with a rwb and striker coming in would be my guess

For the reasons mentioned further up the page, the likes of Batth and Price won't go as we need them for bench duty for home grown reasons. Marshall doesn't even fill that role anymore - see Andy I told you he was shit and would be bombed out within a year[emoji6]. Zyro just needs a break, I hope he goes somewhere and just plays football. I can't see any other departures except for kids on loan, hopefully Wilson gets his after being robbed of it in the Summer. Ronan I'm unsure of, I'd like to keep him around and at least play the cup games, maybe see where we are at late in the month and take a view from there. I'm conscious that another 6 months of U23's could lead to stagnation though, so needs to be handled with care.

We had 9 home grown players in the match day squad yesterday. I’m not sure whether it should be 6 or 7, there’s contradicting info out there, but that leaves plenty of room to strengthen.

We had 9 home grown players in the match day squad yesterday. I’m not sure whether it should be 6 or 7, there’s contradicting info out there, but that leaves plenty of room to strengthen.

Ruddy
Bennett
Coady
Bright
Batth
MGW
Norris

Doherty doesn't count (we signed him after he turned 18) and nor does Douglas (developed in Scotland rather than England/Wales)

It's 3 years with an English or Welsh FA side before the age of 21 or in the season they turn 21. Although I put a link up yesterday saying it was 7 players from next season, the EFL site says it started this year, so I'm assuming that is correct.

Gibbs-White appears to have dislodged Price from the match day squad now.

He has, but if 2 out of Neves, N'Diaye or Saiss were injured for a league game I'd back Price to be the one that started and if any of the current 7 in the matchday squad weren't available Price would be the first back in.

You’d think it would be home nations.
It was put in place to develop young English players. The only reason Welsh is included is because of the Welsh sides in the English system. As with all these rules they are well meaning but flawed, with the International nature of academies these days all those players are classed as home grown - Fabregas being the famous one.

In Wolves' case we have ended up putting a token squad player on the bench at times this year like Price or Marshall instead of Vinagre to meet the quota which isn't developing the young talent the rule is supposed to do.

Window opens in just a few days. Any news coming out in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back