• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's had one and a half seasons at that level and never made a PL squads let alone played in it.

By this logic Cundle is worth the same and Hodge is worth £40m.

Alex Scott didn't go for £30m and he's one of the highest rated England youth internationals in the country

Palmer would be a better fit for us, but no chance we are getting him for less than £30m or that City would want him to leave anyway.

Johnstone's distribution is as bad, so what's the point? Mrs Sa will also be disappointed to learn that the climate in the East Mids is the same as the West.

From what I remember seeing of him when they were on last year and I watched, his distribution was probably the worst in the league. I described it as ponderous in the game against us and said we needed to press him, then we got the pen off him.

Its a downgrade if this happens. Keeper is too important a positon to be messing around trying to make this sort of move.

Johnstone is ok. If we can get a keeper that's of similar quality to Sa but is a safer pair of hands and less likely to do stupid things I'll take that tbh. I don't think it will go down too well because of the timing with Sa having one of his best games for us yesterday.
Is he less likely to do stupid things? In our last game against Palace he gave away a penalty and should have been sent off.

He is not no, I just checked the Palace game thread and found my actual comment. Johnstone is a backup level keeper than managed to get a run of games. Its notable Palace want to commit so much resources to replacing him and yet we are deeming him fine despite having previously wanted an upgrade on Sa. The team with the worst keeper in this league is nearly always relegated. Hence why I was so vocal when people were suggesting Danny Ward as a potential signing prior to last season.

"Johnson is so slow and ponderous on the ball for them when they play it back to him, he has a huge wind up compared to all the other keepers at this level, even just stroke passes over 20 yards it's noticable, I'd be highlighting that at HT with the instructions to press him really aggressively."

I think most keepers are less likely to do stupid things than Sa but it needs to be balanced against his generally good shot stopping and collecting crosses. Any alternative needs to be good at playing out from the back and we’re unlikely to get one within our budget that doesn’t have weaknesses in other parts of their game.

Makes no sense. Selling Sa isn’t raising enough funds to make it worthwhile, particularly if you are spending the majority on a replacement who isn’t noticeably better.

Just seems to be dicking around for no reason. Palace get what they want, Forest the same and we just get what’s left over but don’t get paid for the privilege

Makes no sense. Selling Sa isn’t raising enough funds to make it worthwhile, particularly if you are spending the majority on a replacement who isn’t noticeably better.

Just seems to be dicking around for no reason. Palace get what they want, Forest the same and we just get what’s left over but don’t get paid for the privilege
The selling Sa makes sense if he wants out. God knows what a stroppy Sa will do in games

If he joins Forest I reckon he will be loaned back to Olympiacos within the year.

His replacement needs to be better than him though unless we are preparing for our promotion challenge in 2024/25

Johnstone, Doyle, Brownhill, Cresswell are all terrible scouting and squad building.

Hobbs has credit at the moment but that could all be squashed if we get this kind of Championship level player in.
It does read like we know no happy medium between Mendes’ ‘problem tab’ in his Excel sheet and complete mediocrity. GON’s probably damned if he does damned if he doesn’t with his comments to some degree, but the worrying read is that our plan now is to throw out all the good from the last few years along with the bad and build a completely uninteresting 16th machine.

It does read like we know no happy medium between Mendes’ ‘problem tab’ in his Excel sheet and complete mediocrity. GON’s probably damned if he does damned if he doesn’t with his comments to some degree, but the worrying read is that our plan now is to throw out all the good from the last few years along with the bad and build a completely uninteresting 16th machine.
It also reads like there is a brief to sign British and Irish players, given the 2 who have come in. Lage said that's what he wanted, think that's what he was told

It also reads like there is a brief to sign British and Irish players, given the 2 who have come in. Lage said that's what he wanted, think that's what he was told
If Farage took the money Coutts handed back to him and stuck it in Wolves in return for a casting vote on transfers the timing, policy and funds available would all make sense.

I should have added it only takes one hitch at this stage for this scenario not to pan out or be put back until January. As is the way with transfer chains.

Only my opinion but I do think Johnstone would be a better fit for us moving forward.

I should have added it only takes one hitch at this stage for this scenario not to pan out or be put back until January. As is the way with transfer chains.

Only my opinion but I do think Johnstone would be a better fit for us moving forward.
Tactically or personally?

Far from convinced about Johnstone but I won't miss Sa if he does go. Can't be doing with keepers who you can't trust, outstanding yesterday but you know there could be a joke goal flying in next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back