• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really ridiculous. It was pretty racist.

Not really ridiculous. It was pretty racist.

It seems ridiculous as it was joke between friends but it loses any defending when it is done on a public forum. The FA have to charge him, he won't get a game ban for this incident but it will be a good reminder to him and other players about their responsibility when using Social Media and the influence they will have on others.

To me it’s a classic case of someone (the FA) being offended on behalf of someone else. If Silva said he wasn’t being racist and Mendi didn’t take offence to it where’s the issue? I suppose the issue is, like you say, it’s on a public forum, which brings me back to my point about others being offended by proxy.

I wouldn't say this one is being offended by proxy but more a case that he posts that and millions see it and think it will be acceptable to post similar at any person. They think its acceptable because a Premier League footballer did it but in reality they are sending racist messages out.

This is the FA using their power to try and educate the players a bit here.

Uhuh, so racism is only racism if the racist says it is?

I don't think Silva gets to choose if something he says/does is racist or not to be honest. I am sure the joke between and Mendy had zero racist intentions but the moment he makes it public it deserves to be looked at. Like I say, in my view the FA are simply using this to try and educate the player (and others) about their responsibility when using social media rather than being offended on behalf of Mendy

Silva doesn't get to choose what is or isn't racist. By all means intent should be taken into account when considering the punishment, but ignorance shouldn't prevent a charge.

It's not racist at all. It's comparing a person to a cartoon character who looks similar. Just because they are both black that somehow makes it racist? If a white person was compared to a white cartoon character is that racist too? Because it's the exact same thing.

Metal is right. It's people seeing race when that wasn't even a consideration to the people involved.

Silva doesn't get to choose what is or isn't racist. By all means intent should be taken into account when considering the punishment, but ignorance shouldn't prevent a charge.

this

Also - Will he be suspended for Sunday? :D

The image Mendy was compared to certainly looks like a racist caricature of a black kid.

It's not racist at all. It's comparing a person to a cartoon character who looks similar. Just because they are both black that somehow makes it racist? If a white person was compared to a white cartoon character is that racist too? Because it's the exact same thing.

Metal is right. It's people seeing race when that wasn't even a consideration to the people involved.

Well the classic "they all look the same" comes into play. I don't think there is all white people look the same line used in a racist manner so that one doesn't work really. Some things are better kept off line really and I think that is what the FA are trying to get over.

But he wasn't getting confused by comparing two actual black people. He was making a simple visual comparison or look-a-likely.

It reminds me of how everyone used to say Bale looked like a monkey. No-one found that racist or offensive but if it was made about a black person...

Yes I'd agree with that.

It's taking someone's skin colour, using it as their defining characteristic as something that makes them different, and then creating a visual joke based on it.

How is that not racist?

Given the image he compared him to with the big red lips it can't be anything other than racist
5d621bef29eab22c472758a38cdab1c6.jpg

It's taking someone's skin colour, using it as their defining characteristic as something that makes them different, and then creating a visual joke based on it.

How is that not racist?

Precisely. And if you put something like that out into the public domain, you can't be annoyed if other people are offended by it. Don't want it under public scrutiny? Don't share it in the first fucking place - it's just downright stupid. And yes - it's also racist. A bit disappointed that this particular aspect is being argued against TBH.

It's depressing having to explain it to grown adults, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back