• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Both sides of the argument have been heard.

Liverpool to be fined £200,000 for fielding an ineligible player in Carabao Cup win over MK Dons. They will not be expelled from the competition. £100,000 of the fine will be suspended until the end of next season.

Liverpool to be fined £200,000 for fielding an ineligible player in Carabao Cup win over MK Dons. They will not be expelled from the competition. £100,000 of the fine will be suspended until the end of next season.

Understandable given their financial position.

I guess so, if you want to infer the complete historical context of an image that was used completely innocently.

The image itself is not innocent; it cannot be divorced from its historical context. Try wearing a Swastika out and about and tell people you're using it in the Buddhist sense. Likely you won't get very far with that.

Silva may not be racist and he seems genuine that he didn't mean anything racist by the joke. But that does not make the joke less racist or more acceptable.

Saying it’s a cartoon is disingenuous in the extreme. That’s a racist caricature of a black person.

The last time I saw that caricature used with the big lips and bald shiny pate was for King Flaturtha of the Numidians in Asterix. I think we can all agree that social mores have moved on somewhat since Gosciny and Uderzo created that character in the 1960s

Shouldn't it be the same for everybody?

Punishment seems disproportionate to me.

For many years I played and acted in an official role for a W'ton Sunday League team. As Secretary one year we inadvertently played an ineligible player [his 7 day registration hadn't arrived back, but we thought it would be okay as it had been posted by the League].

We won the game, but a 3-0 result was awarded to the opposition and we were out of the cup. We were also fined. As far as I'm aware that still stands and we are all members of the same FA (although I appreciate this was a FL competition).

I agree, it should be the same for everybody but the professional bodies have avoided it before [see Sunderland]. Unlike unpaid volunteers on a Sunday morning, pro clubs have well paid, full time employees to ensure this doesn't happen as well

EFL Statement on the fine for Liverpool

"The EFL Board has today fined Liverpool FC £200,000 - of which £100,000 will be suspended until the end of Season 2020/21 - for having breached the Rules of the Carabao Cup by fielding an ineligible player against Milton Keynes Dons in a Carabao Cup match on 25 September.

The circumstances leading to this breach are that Liverpool FC had not received international clearance for their existing contracted registered player, Pedro Chirivella Burgos, on expiry of his loan agreement last Season with Spanish club Extremadura Union Deportiva.

Following a comprehensive review of all the evidence, the Board determined that it wasn’t appropriate to expel the Club from the Competition because of a number of mitigating factors.

In particular, the Board noted that the Club had sought the assistance of the Football Association in securing the return of the International Clearance prior to the start of this season, and the Club had been able to include the player on team sheets for Premier League Two matches (under Premier League Rules) and one Leasing.com Trophy match, which resulted in the breach not being identified until the Club reported the issue to the EFL and Premier League following the MK Dons match.

As a result, the Club has also been found guilty of misconduct in relation to the same breach for having fielded the player in the defeat against Oldham Athletic in the Leasing.com Trophy on 7 August, with the sanction incorporated into the financial penalty.

The Club will be liable for the suspended sum of £100,000, plus an additional sanction, if they were to again field an ineligible player in the Carabao Cup between now and the end of next season.

An EFL Spokesman said: “The rules of the Carabao Cup require Clubs to ensure all players are registered and eligible in line with their respective League’s rules before they play. The player was always contracted to Liverpool FC during this period, and the reason he was not eligible was because the Club did not have the relevant international clearance following expiry of an earlier loan agreement.

The Club’sbreach was in part due to the challenges it encountered with securing the correct international clearance, and its subsequent ability to include the Player on teamsheets despite the lack of clearance.

“As a result the Board concluded the most appropriate sanction was a financial penalty.”

What a load of old shite. Patting themselves on the back for getting something right.

The fine still looks massively disproportionate to me. I wonder what other clubs have been fined. I hope Liverpool appeal it and tell the EFL to fuck off.

What a load of old shite. Patting themselves on the back for getting something right.

The fine still looks massively disproportionate to me. I wonder what other clubs have been fined. I hope Liverpool appeal it and tell the EFL to fuck off.
They've already accepted it

Fines for drink driving are based on your earnings I believe. This is no different proportion the fine relative to how much the club has.

Fines for drink driving are based on your earnings I believe. This is no different proportion the fine relative to how much the club has.

That seems wrong to me. The whole point of football is it's supposed to be a level playing field.

Not many Sunday League teams in the League Cup.

Apparently the fine is similar to what Sunderland had a few years back, and that was for playing someone in both league and cup games.

Stay classy Villa fans
Aston Villa is disgusted and appalled by footage circulating on social media of supporters chanting a racist song which makes reference to two of our first team players.

The club wholly condemns the chant and urges other supporters to help us identify those responsible.

Chants of this nature besmirch the good name of Aston Villa Football Club and our fans. If the perpetrators are identified they will be dealt with in the strongest manner by the club and be reported to the Police immediately.

Our security staff will be vigilant at forthcoming games to ensure that anybody attempting repetition of this chant will be dealt with severely.

We know we can rely on the assistance of the majority of our fans to eradicate this toxic behaviour immediately.

If anyone has any information please contact the club on 0121 327 2299.

Marvelous Nakamba
Marvelous Nakamba
He is a rasta
McGinn is his master
His cock's fucking massive

Morons.

Tbf there's also a song that references Boly's schlong, is there not? Appreciate it's not got the slavery angle but still unsavoury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back