• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is, rapport. Mendy and Silva have a rapport as friends and can make that joke without anybody interpreting it as racist, when it's posted publicly that interpretation is opened up to anybody who sees it.

I love dark humour and comedians who push boundaries almost nothing is off limits, does that mean I'd walk into work and tell one of those jokes to a customer I've never previously spoken to? If I did I certainly wouldn't be surprised when I found myself suspended/dismissed about how me and our kid tell these jokes all the time.

It's taking someone's skin colour, using it as their defining characteristic as something that makes them different, and then creating a visual joke based on it.

How is that not racist?
Because that's not what he's doing. He's not saying hey you are black, this character is black, therefore you look alike. It's not the defining characteristic in the joke, and it's not pointing out anything that makes them different. All that is just YOUR own personal bias coming into it.

He's saying when you were younger you had a bald head, big eyes, round head and big lips, and looked a lot like this caracature. It ultimately is nothing to do with the fact they are both the same colour. It's a mate taking the piss out of an old pic.

And I find it disappointing that too many people nowadays have to find some offence or racist undertone in any joke aimed at people of colour that happens to make a joke about their appearance or description.

I suspect people would be more willing to accept it as racist if it had been criticised as such by some actual black people rather than a bunch of suits in an office.

I occasionally get called Casper because I've been known to be pale or pasty at times (anaemia).

Is that racist? It meets all your definitions of making a joke purely based on someone's skin colour. That's a more offensive comparison that what Silva did.

I can't see how anybody can look at what Silva posted and think that it is ok to post that on a public forum!

Because that's not what he's doing. He's not saying hey you are black, this character is black, therefore you look alike.

and if he had kept between the 2 of them or via some City private WhatsApp group - Top (dodgy) Bantz BUT he put out in the open and allowed people to take their view on it. A player with millions of followers, some of them young all of a sudden see "Hey you look like this drawing of a black cartoon, big eyes, lips etc" and they think well thats fine to send to other people, thinking they are making a joke but the person receiving it probably won't think that way, especially if they have had abuse about their skin colour before. Essentially opening up the cyber version of chucking bananas at people.

The tweet was not intended in a racist manner but the fall out will go that way.

I can't see how anybody can look at what Silva posted and think that it is ok to post that on a public forum!
No it's a stupid thing to do purely because of the nonsensical outrage it will cause. He should know better.

TBH, it is people thinking that the outrage is nonsensical that is part of the problem.

Just keep it behind closed doors, it doesn't need to be out in the open.

There's more outrage from the people defending it from what I can see.

Then explain to me how the joke is purely about his colour and not just his physical appearance.

I can only assume you are being deliberately obtuse. Mind you, you did the same about perceived sexism before so I am not shocked.

I occasionally get called Casper because I've been known to be pale or pasty at times (anaemia).

Is that racist? It meets all your definitions of making a joke purely based on someone's skin colour. That's a more offensive comparison that what Silva did.

If being white meant you were in an historically oppressed minority that has suffered massively just based on the colour of your skin then maybe you'd be a bit more sensitive to the comparison.

Also you not being offended doesn't then mean that say albino sufferers wouldn't be uncomfortable with the normalisation of skin colour based jokes.

Personally, I think your personal bias is causing more issues than mine.

There's more outrage from the people defending it from what I can see.
Well that's just reacting to the, what can be life changing and very serious, claims about someone.

Raheem Sterling has had plenty of cause to be upset about racism towards himself and he thinks it's nonsense too.

------------------

“I feel in that situation Bernardo has made a joke to his friend," said Sterling. "He has not referred to his skin colour or lips and he and the cartoon have both got small heads."

“The most important thing to me is that he didn't refer to his colour."

“We can all see Mendy is a black lad and we've all got to be proud to be black as well. If someone refers to our skin colour with an image you can't really be upset about that."

---------------------

I can't see how anyone can argue with that. Sure you can bring into the question the cartoon it is from given it's context in history, and the stupidity of putting it out in the open to be analysed, but the actual act of comparing two images doesn't contain that historical context so shouldn't be treated as such.

Personally, I think your personal bias is causing more issues than mine.

I'm just treating it as a physically comedic joke in pure isolation, without adding historical context that wasn't given or intended.

The bias in this comes from adding that. I can see why people would make that jump but I don't think it's fair. Yes call him stupid but don't accuse him of being something he's not.

I'm just treating it as a physically comedic joke in pure isolation, without adding historical context that wasn't given or intended.

The bias in this comes from adding that. I can see why people would make that jump but I don't think it's fair. Yes call him stupid but don't accuse him of being something he's not.

Can I call it a racist remark without calling the perpetrator a racist?

The remark in itself should be treated as such because that's what it is, 'joke' or not.

Can I call it a racist remark without calling the perpetrator a racist?
I guess so, if you want to infer the complete historical context of an image that was used completely innocently.

I can at least understand the uncomfortable history behind it. But then again so many things that happened in human history are unsavoury and can be reffered to without everyone getting upset about it.

Halloween is coming up. Can we ban all witches hats and costumes because of all the people persecuted and killed in witch trials purely because they were different (using science and intelligence to explain things instead of religion)?

I'm going to take the advice I normally give to others here and just leave the thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back