• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

We did play five further games after that with a midfield two though.

We've gone back to it since as well at points, Newcastle away, Fulham away, Palace at home and Shrewsbury at home.

We didnt change after Watford though. That was the start of the crap run of results over the next 4 or 5 games.

We tried to be different v Cardiff and got it wrong and then we put MGW in as a false 9 v Chelsea. Then it slowly changed through December, without the injured Jota. Donck didnt come in until Spurs (not inc his sub appearance v Chelsea for 10 mins)

We changed v Cardiff with Traore up top. Nuno got it wrong but not helped by players having terrible days. Raul did a great impression of Gary Madine for example.

We were still ahead in that game, and should have garnered a point had Junior Hoillet not decided to unleash a ridiculous worldie. And also their first was a foul on Patricio but that's old ground and he should have found his inner Matt Murray to deal with that one situation.

We were shit that night. Regardless how or where the Cardiff goals came from.

We got what we deserved just as we did v Huddersfield.

Watford play a unique system it's a 4231 without the ball and a 442 with it, the work Pereyra, Deulefayu and Hughes do off the ball is really unrecognised

Yeah - we were. But we got ahead and could have gone on. Huddersfield we were just mind-bogglingly atrocious. It was bizarre, especially in the context of the best season in my actual meaningful memory.

United lost at home to Middlesbrough (and were 3-0 down at one point) in their treble winning season. It happens.

Watford play a unique system it's a 4231 without the ball and a 442 with it, the work Pereyra, Deulefayu and Hughes do off the ball is really unrecognised

Deulofeu is a really REALLY good player, and Gracia is getting some belting returns from him. There is a lot to like about that Watford side.

Not with a ten foot barge pole ta.

In response to those posts above - Watford was the showing of the problem, the catalyst for change was probably Cardiff and Huddersfield.
Still think he'll make a wonderful footballer. But not with us, neither on our system. We've got the ideal midfielders already, and quite a few of them too.

Would not touch him also. He was truly abysmal at Swansea and his attitude is terrible.

Would not touch him also. He was truly abysmal at Swansea and his attitude is terrible.

His attitude improved a lot in this season, according to reports I've read from Germany. But he still wouldn't fit, so I don't want him to come either.

His attitude improved a lot in this season, according to reports I've read from Germany. But he still wouldn't fit, so I don't want him to come either.

If his attitude has improved then I'd want him and play him in the 10 role as he's got bags of talent and is a good physical specimen. He'd have to go behind Moutinho for at least a season unless we get into Europe so I'm not sure he'd have the patience for that.

Sanches makes sense for a few obvious reasons (agent, for one :icon_rolleyes: ) and as a long term investment for the midfield I could see it - I would trust Nuno to whip him into shape, and in theory being surrounded by his countrymen would help him settle a lot easier.

There is a player in there somewhere, as we've seen. Whether he can reach those heights again is another question.

Bit harsh?

Apart from Doherty's poor crossing, I dont think our wingers were the problem, it was our midfield

can't understand how anyone would defend our IF's play when running 343 the first half of the season. they were... not good.

Easy. They were not that bad. Not outstanding and the odd really poor performance thrown in but not a weekly show of shit.

The 3 up top played there part in having us in midtable and had taken points from City, United & Arsenal.

can't understand how anyone would defend our IF's play when running 343 the first half of the season. they were... not good.

This is nonsense. Costa was excellent against both Manchester clubs. Cav scored with his first touch against Saints and Jota was decent. We had 20 shots against Burnley and we were good against both Palace and West Ham away.

We changed because teams decided to pack the midfield and overrun our pair meaning the rest of the team were on the periphery. Nuno changed the tactics and they work much better for us with the personnel we have.

Back