• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

I think there is a lot of discussion at crossed purposes here with some false dichotomies being drawn. My views:

- No one is saying we were shit at the beginning of the season. No one.
- Some of us are saying that our IFs weren't pulling their weight in terms of goals/assists when we were playing 3-4-3.
- No one is saying the extra CM hasn't helped us - it plainly has. In fact, from my perspective, that is exactly my point: we've replaced an under-performing IF in Costa with an extra body in midfield in Dendoncker.

Now, whether the problem was the formation (3-4-3) or the IF personnel (Costa, Cav, Traore and Jota) is another point. Maybe the personnel were underperforming *because* we weren't dominating the game enough in central midfield. Who knows. But there is a clear difference between this season when we've played 3-4-3 and last and the difference is the lack of goals and assists from IF.

What's great is that Nuno has recognised the problem and resolved it.

I don't see why posters need to be criticised for simply describing how we've got to the great position we've got to. For T3ch to conclude that he was better off staying out of it seems pretty unfair IMV. It's a bloody discussion on an internet discussion forum.

It's a bloody discussion on an internet discussion forum.

So people countering what others say means the forum is doing its job? If it was just a place for people to put opinions and others to nod along all day it would be dull and a pointless place.

People interpreting what they read is their own look out, it might not be what the other poster was trying to say and hence....a discussion breaks out (some times normal, sometimes heated and sometimes it gets Johnny'd and we all log off...).

I just meant there's countering and there's criticising and we shouldn't be putting people off (t3ch) from wanting to contribute.

I do think a lot of it was at crossed purposes anyway as I don't think the points being raised by me, Alan, t3ch and YoungWolf were mutually exclusive from the points being made by Jonny, Mobnet and Deutsch.

Things like "Jesus you post some shit but this tops the lot." do not contribute to the conversation or the atmosphere.

but I'm glad to see the new responses, I had been anticipating waking up to something a bit more negative. there are some counterpoints to make about some respponses above but it feels belabored and better left alone at this point. :surrender:

I thought Alan was talking about Jonny and Doc as they are effectively our wingers, I didnt realise he meant the IF's
That was my fault for not being clear; I'd forgotten Nuno's definition of who our wingers are!

Side point - would we have been even better last season playing 352 with N'diaye in the Dendoncker role?

Side point - would we have been even better last season playing 352 with N'diaye in the Dendoncker role?
Possibly. But it was never really needed.

I still would have kept Alfred for depth, if he'd wanted to stay in that role.

Possibly. But it was never really needed.

I still would have kept Alfred for depth, if he'd wanted to stay in that role.

I don't think N'diaye is good enough for the premier league, good engine but not good enough technique / skill for me.

hmm interesting.... but no I don't think so. Our midfield/defense was pretty comfortable dealing with what was put in front of them, allowing the free flowing attacking options we had up front. And especially so since all of them were pretty successful.

We finished with (by far) the most goals in that season, while tying for the least amount conceded. It would be one thing if we were leaking more, not in good attacking form, or not having possession from the setup, but we weren't. I'm not sure what N'Diaye would've given us that would've been more valuable than the contribution of whichever of Costa/Jota/Cav he'd displace.

No, because N'Daiye is shit.
Last season we had significant quality all over the park, sufficient to overcome virtually everything put in front of us. This was helped by a blazing start. By November (Villa at home in particular) everyone started to realise we were for real, fans included. Arguably we could've used N'Daiye when Bonatini's goals dried up in december, but we didn't need to.

No, because N'Daiye is shit.
Last season we had significant quality all over the park, sufficient to overcome virtually everything put in front of us. This was helped by a blazing start. By November (Villa at home in particular) everyone started to realise we were for real, fans included. Arguably we could've used N'Daiye when Bonatini's goals dried up in december, but we didn't need to.

I though that N'Diaye did a half decent job when called upon last year, including scoring some vital goals. Wouldn't have got into my first choice XI and yes we've moved on to better things since but for where we were he was more than adequate squad member and played a role in getting us promoted.

So people countering what others say means the forum is doing its job? If it was just a place for people to put opinions and others to nod along all day it would be dull and a pointless place.

People interpreting what they read is their own look out, it might not be what the other poster was trying to say and hence....a discussion breaks out (some times normal, sometimes heated and sometimes it gets Johnny'd and we all log off...).

This made me lol a bit.

I think what Banjo may be trying to say (apols if I misrepresent you mate) is that the discussion is fine, but the elements where other posters in their response play the man rather than the ball seems a little unneccessary.

Yes, all views are open to debate. But there is a manner how we should debate, and there are occasions where it can seem that the poster is being got at rather than the point they are making. Only very occasionally, but this forum has usually prided itself on debating respectfully. Granted, some of that perspective comes from the reader rather than the poster.

I though that N'Diaye did a half decent job when called upon last year, including scoring some vital goals. Wouldn't have got into my first choice XI and yes we've moved on to better things since but for where we were he was more than adequate and played a role in getting us promoted.

I thought he was....ok, but nothing more. He was never PL standard, and I always hoped we would not sign him.
I never really figured out what he was, other than someone Nuno brought on to slow the game down in the 2nd half.
He is/was never above Neves or Saiss last year, and with MGWs progression, letting him go was totally the right decision.
To steal something from brexit discussion, he was dave edwards plus.

I thought he was....ok, but nothing more. He was never PL standard, and I always hoped we would not sign him.
I never really figured out what he was, other than someone Nuno brought on to slow the game down in the 2nd half.
He is/was never above Neves or Saiss last year, and with MGWs progression, letting him go was totally the right decision.
To steal something from brexit discussion, he was dave edwards plus.

He wasn't shit then?

I was generous with ok. I thought even last season he was a standard below most other players. Way beyond the direction we were travelling. & relative to our aims, yes, he was shit :icon_wink:

Yeah N'Diaye was ok to do a job in the Championship now and then, never a Premier League midfielder though for me.

When N'Diaye was on it he was great but he would then have a dire performance. His performance v QPR at home was painful to watch at times. He did score but even that summed up how he was playing.

Didn't he basically play as a 1 man midfield v Swansea in the Cup when we went down to 10 men and dominated?

I thought N'Daiye was fantastic for us last season. His performance away at Leeds was incredible.

He had his ups and downs for me and obviously would be behind Donck now but I feel he would thrive in our current formation.

His biggest issue was that he would wander too much and in a midfield pair that could be exploited.

I thought N'Daiye was fantastic for us last season. His performance away at Leeds was incredible.

Should have been sent off at Blues though. Ref had lost control by that point so he got away with it

Back