• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

"Telegraph Sport understands a fee has been agreed with the Portuguese club for Raúl"

Top work there TS! How did you find out something that has been public knowledge since the day he joined on loan?

Tbf if we've haggled Benfica to get some of the fee made contingent (or it might've been the agreement all along, we don't really know) and we're only (!) paying £25m up front as opposed to £30-35m, then its an even better deal than it already was

If we get Raul for that price it is the bargain of the season (well - bar Moutinho, which is the bargain of the century!).

With regard to Happe, am I quite pleased to see that with all the other high-profile signings that we seem to be targeting, the lower level cheap gamble to come in and develop with us is not being ignored. I know nothing about the player at all, but it seems a sign that our scouting is very wide-ranging, and that can only be a good thing.

If we get Raul for that price it is the bargain of the season (well - bar Moutinho, which is the bargain of the century!).

With regard to Happe, am I quite pleased to see that with all the other high-profile signings that we seem to be targeting, the lower level cheap gamble to come in and develop with us is not being ignored. I know nothing about the player at all, but it seems a sign that our scouting is very wide-ranging, and that can only be a good thing.
Happe strikes me as a similar deal to when we signed Hause off Wycombe.

We've signed a fair few lower league players and turned them to shit. I think our scouting sat lower levels leaves a lot to be desired as we contrive not develop these youngsters.

It may of course be a coaching problem but that's yet to be proven.

Dan Happe is a very good young footballer. Left footed, tall and strong and good on the ball. Good lad too, his Dad is a boxer. Within the club people have said they think he can be a championship player at least. I’d be pretty pleased if we signed him.

No, no and thrice no. Full of mistakes and that's in the best side in the country who don't need to do too much defending

Easy Mendes link so we are put into the article.

Totally at odds with our recruitment. Not a chance.

Dan Happe is a very good young footballer. Left footed, tall and strong and good on the ball. Good lad too, his Dad is a boxer. Within the club people have said they think he can be a championship player at least. I’d be pretty pleased if we signed him.

It's playing time with the young players. Smallung thrived at Fulham because of his playing time, the same as Stones and Maguire.

We have stalled Hause's career and I don't want the same to happen to MGW and Vinagre.

If we're to sign young players we have to give them time or a season long loan out to a club that's going to benefit us, which to date we've been appalling at identifying.

On another note, I don't mind Otamendi but I think we can do better.

You’re mad if you would turn away Otamendi for a reasonable price

31 years old doesn't fit our recruitment policy normally. Obviously Moutinho is the exception to that rule.

I suppose Otamendi - Coady - Boly could be tasty, but I think we are going to look a bit younger in the summer and probably abroad. Hopefully Ruben Diaz.

He played under Nuno and was a big part in the build play with his long passing ability apparently, he played in the Coady role I think - would mean he could probably slot in as a Bennett upgrade and improve our play from the back.

Seems possible tbh, though I’d still prefer Dias obviously.

The view of Nuno’s tactics at Valencia that mentions him.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2015/07/29/tactical-philosophy-nuno-espirito-santo/

Last edited:
In his first season he was one of the worst defenders (for the price) id ever seen. So so rash, dives in and over commits, got a mistake in him. Basically a slower, smaller, weaker, less technical David Luiz. He’s been much better since.

On the flip side, defenders at big clubs often appear worse than they are because they are regularly playing a very high line with minimal help. So they Move from smaller clubs and all of a sudden get exposed. So playing in our system he may be just fine but his wages will be massive.

It was under Nuno that he showed the form that got him his move to City IIRC.

Still, no. There's better out there.

I may inexplicably sign him in every draft for PTG but even I'm not a fan of Otamendi.

Back