• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Silvio/Iorfa right back, new left back (maybe Sam McQueen on loan is another option?) would be nice. Doherty can make the tea.

Saw Amari'i Bell speculation to Wolves along with a host of other clubs.

If he sees Doherty as a right back, why has he been playing Coady there? As it is, we've been playing with 2 full backs who are playing out of position.

I think Doherty has been playing purely because there's no options whatsoever at LB and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a much smaller role next season.

If PL brings in Danny Graham as his British type player to win the league next season then he should be chased now.

I can see us maybe getting Ruddy - there was a rumour in January about us already sorting signing him on a free this summer - but the others are all well past their best.

I absolutely despised Bassong when he was here. Stinking attitude, overweight, actually worse than Berra who he replaced. Mulumbu was a Billy Bargain for Albion back in the day but as Proslo says is past it now.

I could see Ruddy happening and he's way better than what we have now, I'd want better yet than him though, he's very much on the way down. We have the money, don't piss about with keepers. Sign a proper one (with serious backup, Ikeme would actually do in this role if he can stop getting injured all the time) and then you don't have to worry about it. Sign them early enough and it's taken care of for years potentially. Having a repeat of the last two years where whoever we stick in nets is chucking goals in constantly is simply unacceptable. Seriously, it's easily been the worst spell for goalkeeping I've ever seen down here, by a long way. At least Paul Jones Mk II was bombed out inside nine months and the likes of Lange/Beasant didn't play very much. We've had so many goals go against us down to pure goalkeeping errors that it's silly. Comical ones too, Ikeme's highlight reel of 2015/16 and 2016/17 should get shown to Britney on a loop, Martinez let in some shockers and Lonergan is Lonergan. Tough gig for Burgoyne given he's nowhere near ready and under the normal run of things he wouldn't be near the team, but still, not very good.

I still want Jordan Archer from Millwall, he was my second choice last summer after Dan Bentley (I'll slag off the FL for missing out on him due to the takeover dragging on, though I suspect Ken wasn't interested anyway).

agree Ruddy is better than what we have but also want better

yeah I agree not sure Ruddy is the answer, seems he's been declining since his injury, I liked Bentley at Southend I reckon that was the time to get him if any

I saw glimpses of Preston's GK Maxwell, he was in the sweeper keeper role, not half bad but haven't seen him play enough to know if he's good enough ??
Love to see something like that here at Wolves, doubt it'd go down well though

Hadn't realised Ruddy was only 30 - seems to have been around for ever

I'd take Ruddy - a definite improvement on what we currently have.

I'd take Ruddy too, he looked as good as ever against Brighton the other week and he commanded his area better than i've seen a Wolves keeper do for years. My only problem with him is that he never looks the fittest.

I'd take Ruddy - a definite improvement on what we currently have.

I would too. Hopefully that few years he's good for us allows Burgoyne and Jack Ruddy to develop properly and be a true #1.

Stockdale may well be on his way from Brighton yet as he's not signed a new deal and they're being linked with new keepers.

Stockdale may well be on his way from Brighton yet as he's not signed a new deal and they're being linked with new keepers.

He would be an incredible signing, his command of the area against us was superb - Ruddy is more realistic however and would operate well as a number 1 for 2-3 years in which Ruddy Jnr should hopefully be pushing by that point

I'm concerned Paul Lambert rates Ikeme. I'm not sure we'll sign a keeper to replace him. The club will probably role out the line that Ikeme is our number 1 and we have enough young & promising youngsters coming through as back up to not require another one.

* this isn't my opinion. I just have a feeling Ikeme is held in high regard by the people that count.

Whether the club rate him or not (and they shouldn't, he's not very good and never has been), what they can't ignore is that he always gets at least one injury a season, he's actually had three this year. As he gets older his fitness record isn't that likely to improve so at very, very least we will require a proper back up that we can actually rely on, even if it's along the lines of De Vries*/Kuszczak when they were here. Total shite like Lonergan just isn't an option. You can't have your keeper missing games and being terrified of playing his deputy.

Of course it would be easier to just buy better than Ikeme and relegate him to second choice, doesn't make a whole lot of sense given our financial circumstances to actively think "Let's sign a keeper who isn't quite as good as Carl Ikeme, who himself is probably in the bottom third of Championship keepers".

*I actually think Ken made a mistake in 2013 when he first came in, I'd have had Doris as #1, especially as we moved to a possession based style later on. He's not great but he's better than Ikeme.

Ex-Falkirk player Vaulks is one of those under consideration, with Wolves also interested in one of the few players to earn pass marks during Rotherham's relegation from the English Championship.
Vaulks, 23, prefers a holding role but can also play centre-half and deputised at right-back in recent weeks for ex-Celtic defender Darnell Fisher.

Ex-Falkirk player Vaulks is one of those under consideration, with Wolves also interested in one of the few players to earn pass marks during Rotherham's relegation from the English Championship.
Vaulks, 23, prefers a holding role but can also play centre-half and deputised at right-back in recent weeks for ex-Celtic defender Darnell Fisher.

No ta.

Back