• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

On the contrary, Paul, I'd quite happily never see any of those players play for us again.

And there you have it. Crystal clear proof that the problems that have plagued us for two years will get the chance to infect us a third time. Does our home record show nothing? OK Paul buy British. If that mean the like of Martin, Ward GK, Friend lb,then that's a start. I fear it will be Hanley, Ruddy and Hoylett or similar. I suppose then it would be harder to spot who is really playing shit cause all of them would be. Fucking Saunders lite. Please surprise us.

Surely we shouldn't be limiting ourselves to "buying British" We should be looking everywhere to find quality players to improve us, and their passport should have nothing to do with it. Hate this narrow-minded, "championship experience" crap.

Buy good footballers, and if they need time to adapt to this league, give them it.

We're not limiting ourselves to buying British.

That’s not to say you don’t look foreign because you get robust foreign players who play 40+ games a year, play in front of big crowds and they know the demand of it. It might take them a few weeks to adapt but they can be robust, so you can’t dismiss it.

I'll wait to see who it is we bring in before getting hysterical. The name dropping of the current squad members doesn't overly bother me - I think he's just making the point that they've played plenty of games without fawning over their performances.

This summer will be our first proper, full transfer window under the new owners so let's wait and see what they can come up with - we won't be bringing in a shitload of unsuitable players in a very short space of time like last year.

Don't mind 'British' if he means top talent from lower leagues, but if it is Championship dross then we're fucked for another season. But talent is the requirement: as PQ says, playing 40 games is all well and good but if you're shit for 35 of them you'll still finish 15th.

fucking hell Paul, get your coat

..and please take Thelwell with you..

this know the league nonsence is doing my head in..it is a myth

Don't mind 'British' if he means top talent from lower leagues, but if it is Championship dross then we're fucked for another season. But talent is the requirement: as PQ says, playing 40 games is all well and good but if you're shit for 35 of them you'll still finish 15th.

What if it's decent championship standard? What if it's a Premier League player out of favour who wouldn't mind dropping down a division for regular football?

Pointless moaning about all this when we don't know which players we're after, other than some (not all) being British. Mountains and molehills spring to mind.

We're not limiting ourselves to buying British.

I'll wait to see who it is we bring in before getting hysterical. The name dropping of the current squad members doesn't overly bother me - I think he's just making the point that they've played plenty of games without fawning over their performances.

This summer will be our first proper, full transfer window under the new owners so let's wait and see what they can come up with - we won't be bringing in a $#@!load of unsuitable players in a very short space of time like last year.

They've only played plenty of games because he's picked them. It's a silly argument anyway and by that reasoning Dave Edwards is a better championship player than Helder Costa or Ivan Cavaliero.

The top sides in this division have brought in top class players of all nationalities so it is really annoying to hear the nonsense about Dave and Co as their experience has us performing worse week in week out. It sounds like Lambert is preparing us for Edwards and his underperforming band of morons are the core he is building his squad around. That will end horrifically for Lambert and Thelwell.

It's a nonsense interview and frankly if Dean Saunders was here I would expect him to say such things and Lambert is getting that way.

We will see who he brings in but if the start of the season's first team is polluted by Dave, Doherty, Batth and Coady people will have every right to be thoroughly pissed off by the 20th of August.

I disagree a bit.

It is setting out a philosophy that has been categorically proven to be borked, and was clearly issued from the pen of K Thelwell, esq. Who should have been given the bullet fucking ages ago.

What if it's decent championship standard? What if it's a Premier League player out of favour who wouldn't mind dropping down a division for regular football?

Pointless moaning about all this when we don't know which players we're after, other than some (not all) being British. Mountains and molehills spring to mind.

What does it matter what nationality they are? Good players are good players as Costa and Cav prove.

They've only played plenty of games because he's picked them. It's a silly argument anyway and by that reasoning Dave Edwards is a better championship player than Helder Costa or Ivan Cavaliero.

The top sides in this division have brought in top class players of all nationalities so it is really annoying to hear the nonsense about Dave and Co as their experience has us performing worse week in week out. It sounds like Lambert is preparing us for Edwards and his underperforming band of morons are the core he is building his squad around. That will end horrifically for Lambert and Thelwell.

It's a nonsense interview and frankly if Dean Saunders was here I would expect him to say such things and Lambert is getting that way.

We will see who he brings in but if the start of the season's first team is polluted by Dave, Doherty, Batth and Coady people will have every right to be thoroughly pissed off by the 20th of August.

spot on Johnny

I don't mind us "buying British", or players like Weimann who are not British but have extensive experience in the English leagues, if they are a vast improvement on the players he himself (Lambert) has listed as the shining examples in that article.

If Dave Edwards, Conor Coady and Matt Doherty are anywhere near our starting 11 next season, I won't be visiting Molineux for a while.

I agree with his points that it's important to have "robust" players, capable of managing with the physicality of this league - but using a "robust" David Edwards for 30+ games achieves nothing as he's, in the main, shite.

As a side note, I saw someone on Facebook last night saying we should go "all out for Michal Vorm". There's a fine line between aiming high and being realistic. I suppose without knowing the exact thoughts of Paul Lambert on our existing playing staff, along with exactly how much money Fosun will be making available for transfer targets, it's impossible to know whether a player like Vorm is a realistic shout. My guess is, the player himself would not be willing to drop to our level unless we're paying Premier League wages.

The article pretty much confirms what I thought. Batth, Edwards, Doherty etc will be playing 30 plus games again and he/we will value working hard over any kind of technical ability. We'll be 18th by November and he'll get the boot and we'll start the whole process again. Unless Thelwell and the coaches get a complete overhaul then nothing will change.

What does it matter what nationality they are? Good players are good players as Costa and Cav prove.

I totally agree. But Lambert hasn't said he isn't going to buy foreign players. And I'm hoping we might get a couple of clients from Mr Mendes.

And yes, if Doherty et al are still regular fixtures in the side by the end of August then I'll grab a pitchfork and join in the lynching. But a bit premature to say that when the season hasn't even finished yet. How about we let Fosun and co get on with the important business of fixing the squad?

I guess that's Lambert's way of saying that it's not a racial/country of origin matter but a matter of being able to turn up and put your kit on 46 times a season.

get ranieri in, knows what it takes

Back