• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

I don't mean to imply that we should just chuck him overboard, I suppose my worry is that we're expecting him to be more than he is and may end up allowing players like Coady to fill that role for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We are supposed to be a player development club with a high number of young players in need of top coaching to help them unlock that potential. You dont just cast them aside you seek the reasons why their development has stalled.

Who stays and who goes? I have no idea who is going to come in, playing staff wise, but as an exercise I wondered what I would do if the new season begins tomorrow and what team I would put out. So, here goes:

BURGOYNE

IORFA - - - WILLIAMSON - - - HAUSE - - - SILVIO

MARSHALL - - - EVANS

COSTA - - - CAVALEIRO - - - GRAHAM

WEIMANN​

SUBS: (Pick from) RUDDY, BRESLIN, PRICE, SAISS, ZYRO, ENOBAKHARE, GIBBS-WHITE, WILSON, RONAN, BRESLIN, JOHN, HERC, ENNIS.

So long and thanks for all the fish
: IKEME, LONERGAN, DOHERTY, COADY, EDWARDS, BATTH, STEARMAN, SAVILLE, MASON, DICKO, BODVARSSON, GLADON. 12 players being shown the door - I am sure others will reckon some of those should stay... ?

Straight away we see where the gaps are which need filling to give the squad some depth:
Goalkeeper
Central Defender
Left Back
Right Back
Central Defensive Midfielder
Central Attacking Midfielder
Striker (possibly 2 ???)

Even before we start talking about changing the entire backroom coaching and recruitment staff, that's one hell of a shopping list... !

Last edited:
BURGOYNE

MARSHALL - - - EVANS

WEIMANN​

SUBS: (Pick from) RUDDY, BRESLIN, PRICE, SAISS, ZYRO, ENOBAKHARE, GIBBS-WHITE, WILSON, RONAN, BRESLIN, JOHN, HERC, ENNIS.

Those two in holding midfield would result in teams literally running straight through the middle. Both decent creatively, not much guts or guile in the tackle though.

Who stays and who goes? I have no idea who is going to come in, playing staff wise, but as an exercise I wondered what I would do if the new season begins tomorrow and what team I would put out. So, here goes:

BURGOYNE

MARSHALL - - - EVANS

WEIMANN​

So long and thanks for all the fish
: IKEME, LONERGAN, DOHERTY, COADY, EDWARDS, BATTH, STEARMAN, SAVILLE, MASON, DICKO, BODVARSSON, GLADON. 12 players being shown the door - I am sure others will reckon some of those should stay... ?

Straight away we see where the gaps are which need filling to give the squad some depth:
Goalkeeper
Central Defender
Left Back
Right Back
Central Defensive Midfielder
Central Attacking Midfielder
Striker (possibly 2 ???)

Even before we start talking about changing the entire backroom coaching and recruitment staff, that's one hell of a shopping list... !

Looks a good side to me, shame we haven't a top keeper.

giphy.gif

Looks a good side to me, shame we haven't a top keeper.

Not for me. I want a goalscorer up front akin to a Gayle, Bamford, Murray etc etc. I dont want to be lining up with Williamson as first choice, again a half decent young defender. Marshall is ok for me there but somebody decent next to him. Could Herc kick on early if he has a good pre-season not sure, I would dream of the likes of Ronan, Ennis, Bright, Bresnan all playing a good part next season. And of course a decent goalkeeper, again like I said looking at the academy could Ruddy kick on early doors.

Ronan is the one I have very, very high hopes for. A proper footballer in a position we've largely neglected for years.

Ronan will 100% make it at this level, fitness permitting. Probably go higher.

My uncle works at Compton and he says Herc is going to be a very very special player. He also says he will be in the first team next season.

Yes Paul they can play 40 games a season, but they're not very good for 30 of them ffs...

Out of all our players in that article he mentions that have 'done it' - they've all been universally failures in this division apart from possibly stearman and dicko

I agree in principle with his sentiments but they need qualities other than workrate and being robust.

It's the list of 'shining' examples that concerns me - Edwards, Doherty, Coady, Batth, Dicko. If this is the core we build around then god help us

More Saunders-sequel bullshit from a man increasingly out of his depth. I don't like the fact Thelwell is behind this and every single piece of recruitment PR is a sly dig at the previous regime and Mendes. It's pathetic.

Lambert and Thelwell should be gone in 2 weeks.

That article has made me very depressed, what he is saying isn't wrong but the highlighted players are the ones we need to replace. I am starting to get quite worried about this, as others have predicted it could be a mid table January with Lambert getting the boot and another season of change.

I really hope its just a smokescreen.

I agree in principle with his sentiments but they need qualities other than workrate and being robust.

It's the list of 'shining' examples that concerns me - Edwards, Doherty, Coady, Batth, Dicko. If this is the core we build around then god help us
You could understand if he said proven, quality Championship players but, as you say, that list seems a bit light on the quality bit.

I hope it's just soundbites, as it makes me really worry ahead of next season. I'm quite sick of this attitude towards foreign players are club seems to have, we've heard the issues from the start of the season and despite our two best players being from Portugal Lambert comes out with this nonsense. I'd love to see our record under Lambert with Cav in the side versus out of it. Our two best runs have come when he's played regularly for him.

Back