• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Am I the only one who's about ready to call time on Iorfa, then?

I'd say so. Why do you say that? Because his touch and awareness (which weren't the best already) were bad the other day when he was called in from the cold and shoved back in to a shite team?

Am I the only one who's about ready to call time on Iorfa, then?

I'd rather call time on the coaches who appear to have taken an England under-21 with a very bright future and turned him into a bomb scare.

Iorfa's still young enough for this to be a blip, not his new trajectory. There were plenty of us this time last year who thought Hause was going to be the one who wasn't going to make it, and that of the two we should sell him to raise funds pre-takeover. He needs to get his head right and get stuck in during pre-season properly, I'm sure we'll see the old Iorfa back next season.

I'd rather call time on the coaches who appear to have taken an England under-21 with a very bright future and turned him into a bomb scare.

all the backroom staff need to go including medical team - all been there too long and too familiar with old guard.

Iorfa himself needs to take responsibility for his poor season - you can't blame the coaches for EVERYTHING that goes awry with the players. If it's an attitude problem, I'm 100% behind Lambert leaving him out. Having said that, he's still young and it'd be ridiculous to write him off at 21 years old FFS!!

Alan - considering you've been criticising others for a lack of patience (and I'm not in total disagreement with that FWIW) I'm surprised you've taken this view.

Exactly this. We have to ask why he's gone backwards and how can we repair any damage done.

Yep, if the spine of the overall "team" come September is Ikeme, Batth, Edwards supported by Thelwell, Edwards, Mountain, Daley then we can write off another season. Momentous summer coming, and not just on the pitch. We simply cannot accept another season of cosy mediocrity

We could also look at Dave Edwards technical quality on the ball and wonder if the required work has been done during his time at Wolves to develop his passing and positional quality.
Surely after 300 games he should look above Shrewsbury standard.

We could look at THREE coaches and ask if that is enough to be fit for purpose at our level, even before we get to the general crap level of those that we have.

Every pre season we all discuss the players we'd like to see come in and they are very, very rarely signed.

Deep down we all know Costa will go, Silvio will be released, Ikeme will be number one when the new season starts, we'll have two or three Mendes players in who most of us have never heard of, Thelwell, Mountain, R Edwards and Daley will remain, Lambert will sign two players he has worked with previously, Jordan Graham will have a storming pre season then be left out for the first game of the season, etc etc.

But most of that is taking the disappointment of the Morgan era, and transplanting it onto Fosun with the bit about Mendes grafted on to it to try and look current. Which is spectacularly unfair.

But most of that is taking the disappointment of the Morgan era, and transplanting it onto Fosun with the bit about Mendes grafted on to it to try and look current. Which is spectacularly unfair.

It may well be unfair but without replacing the current regime that is exactly what will happen. I think it is up to Fosun to act on this now and I hope they are having conversations behind the scenes to replace much of the coaching staff and backroom team in general.

But I hope it's better appointments than Rob Kelly or the usual coaches at this level. We need a different approach to the game not the same tried and trusted mid-table method.

The hope is that Paul Lambert was delt someone else's hand and has just played it to gain safety as this season concludes but has the wherewithal to go out this summer and sign a different type of recruit. Players like Marshall who first and foremost can pass the ball well, have good technical skills and try to engage the brain. If Lambert signs like minded players Wolves can push on, at the moment we are in that wait and see period.

Iorfa himself needs to take responsibility for his poor season - you can't blame the coaches for EVERYTHING that goes awry with the players. If it's an attitude problem, I'm 100% behind Lambert leaving him out. Having said that, he's still young and it'd be ridiculous to write him off at 21 years old FFS!!

Alan - considering you've been criticising others for a lack of patience (and I'm not in total disagreement with that FWIW) I'm surprised you've taken this view.
Just feels like it's been almost two years since he's had a good game for us. I don't necessarily WANT to write him off, but I can't say I have much faith that he'll ever be nearly the player we hoped he'd be.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just feels like it's been almost two years since he's had a good game for us. I don't necessarily WANT to write him off, but I can't say I have much faith that he'll ever be nearly the player we hoped he'd be.

He's 21 years old. He's very very highly thought of. He's an England U21 regular. He was invited to train with the full England squad. It's way too early to write him off. I daresay a better defence around him and a better keeper behind him would do him the world of good.

That's just not true though is it, he had some good games at centre half very early on this season before the team started to collapse under Walter's maverick "I'll piss off to Dubai for three days, you boys look after yourself" strategy, he played well at QPR at RB, by all accounts he did at Stoke and Reading too, there are probably some others. Not to say he's had a good season at all of course because he hasn't, and there's clearly some work ahead to get him back to where he was.

Not to have a dig but I'm not sure how you can make such decisive black and white statements in the position you're in.

I still think iorfa had his head turned by the West Ham interest and started to believe the hype. You can't not argue he seems to have had a right cob on this season

All I can say is that I do want him to prove me wrong, but I'm not exactly counting on it.

The first people I would question would be the coaching staff early season who struggled to get the back four or defensive shape organised on a basic level. It was just a mess with players often facing the wrong direction with very little as regards teamwork. From there was it likely that a young player trying to make his way in the game struggled with his performance and confidence levels.

The first people I would question would be the coaching staff early season who struggled to get the back four or defensive shape organised on a basic level. It was just a mess with players often facing the wrong direction with very little as regards teamwork. From there was it likely that a young player trying to make his way in the game struggled with his performance and confidence levels.
I don't mean to imply that we should just chuck him overboard, I suppose my worry is that we're expecting him to be more than he is and may end up allowing players like Coady to fill that role for the foreseeable future.

Back