• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

I hope it's just soundbites, as it makes me really worry ahead of next season. I'm quite sick of this attitude towards foreign players are club seems to have, we've heard the issues from the start of the season and despite our two best players being from Portugal Lambert comes out with this nonsense. I'd love to see our record under Lambert with Cav in the side versus out of it. Our two best runs have come when he's played regularly for him.

With Cav: 9W, 4D, 6L
Without: 2W, 1D, 7L

why? I want premier league football, not championship mid to low table stuff...

I totally agree. But Lambert hasn't said he isn't going to buy foreign players. And I'm hoping we might get a couple of clients from Mr Mendes.

And yes, if Doherty et al are still regular fixtures in the side by the end of August then I'll grab a pitchfork and join in the lynching. But a bit premature to say that when the season hasn't even finished yet. How about we let Fosun and co get on with the important business of fixing the squad?

I think that's what pissed me off about the article the most. It isn't going to be Fosun it's going to be Thelwell and Lambert. These pair of clueless clowns are going to be spending the money we get from Costa, Cav and Saiss. Do you trust them?

I certainly don't.

I think that's what pissed me off about the article the most. It isn't going to be Fosun it's going to be Thelwell and Lambert. These pair of clueless clowns are going to be spending the money we get from Costa, Cav and Saiss. Do you trust them?

I certainly don't.

me neither

I certainly don't.

Not Thelwell, no, but I can't say I don't trust Lambert to improve the squad. Marshall is a good buy, Weimann decent enough when he's played in the right position so a decent enough start from PL for me.

We've not had a full Fosun post/preseason yet so I don't know how much the process/budgets/contacts have changed from previous years.

Not Thelwell, no, but I can't say I don't trust Lambert to improve the squad. Marshall is a good buy, Weimann decent enough when he's played in the right position so a decent enough start from PL for me.

We've not had a full Fosun post/preseason yet so I don't know how much the process/budgets/contacts have changed from previous years.

This is the bit I hope we find interesting and I hope we get some Mendes magic in there and forced on Lambert.

I'd also point out that Lambert has said:

Lambert said:
I know I’ve got the nucleus of a good side

Still trust him?

This is the bit I hope we find interesting and I hope we get some Mendes magic in there and forced on Lambert.

Forced on him? You make it sound like he's got a mandate for purely average dross and abhors the idea of any kind of foreign talent whatsoever. I daresay he'd welcome another Costa or Cavaleiro!

Anyway - from THIS article - keep or release?

Mike Williamson - release
Jack Price - release
George Saville - release
Silvio - undecided, probably release
Stearman - nah

Personally, I don't see the point of a new deal for Williamson as he's just not played enough. Silvio has the option for another year but it might be too late for him to stake a claim. Price and Saville should go - I don't think either are good enough to be anything other than squad filler. Thanks Stears, but no thanks. Back to Fulham.

Forced on him? You make it sound like he's got a mandate for purely average dross and abhors the idea of any kind of foreign talent whatsoever. I daresay he'd welcome another Costa or Cavaleiro!

I don't think he and Thelwell will be capable of identifying let alone buying players of Costa's class so yes these players would have to be forced into the squad without the acceptance of either Thelwell or Lambert.

I say this as Thelwell was shown up saying to the FP all of the nonsense about Costa being out of reach for the club (sic) and then we suddenly buy him. This is probably me reading too much into this but it looks like business is done without the consent of Thelwell and that seems to be the only way we get top class players in. I'm not convinced by Weimann but I concede Marshall has done well but Lambert has a pretty shoddy transfer record all told across his various clubs so I'll be pleasantly surprised if he and Thelwell can bring in anything but average players.

On your second post - only Silvio for me. A proper full back and we are in desperate need for one of those. I know it's going to be George Saville and Stears.

I'd give Silvio another year and sign a proper left back on top of that. That will hopefully see Doherty's chances of a start in that position greatly reduced.

Price can stay - he's fine as a squad player.

Saville & Stearman can go.

Williamson I'm undecided on.

well I dont trust Paul Lambert and Kevin Thelwell to do any magic in the modern football..maybe 10 years ago, yes..not now..Im not sure they know what is required these days..not able to play more than 35 games a season and they are not interested... if you are messi is irrelevant..you should not lock yourself in for 15 years and not develop as a manager/scout/coach, be flexible goddamit and dont say those things..game develops all the time..please do the same PL and KT

Lambert has learnt his trade all over the place and with some fine coaches in Germany...I'm not ready to write him off yet by any means but Thelwell can do one for me

This place is Molineux Mix-esque this morning. Lambert is correct IMO, we need a group of reliable players in this league mixed with a touch of creativity and plenty of goals. We have had some superb wins this season so the makings of a team has been there. Our problem has been we are too one-dimensional so in certain styles of games, we have been poor. Sort this out and we'll have a chance. Not going to be easy (probably losing Costa too) trying to improve but this is Fosun's first real go at it so let's wait and see shall we. I think this squad will be revamped a lot more than people think.

This place is Molineux Mix-esque this morning. Lambert is correct IMO, we need a group of reliable players in this league mixed with a touch of creativity and plenty of goals. We have had some superb wins this season so the makings of a team has been there. Our problem has been we are too one-dimensional so in certain styles of games, we have been poor. Sort this out and we'll have a chance. Not going to be easy (probably losing Costa too) trying to improve but this is Fosun's first real go at it so let's wait and see shall we. I think this squad will be revamped a lot more than people think.

22nd in the league at home...NOT OK with these owners..how is Lambert ok picking those teams? not got a clue about football IMO..anyway..I hope you are correct the squad will be totally revamped next season..not sounding like it when you read PL...

What would you like him to say, "Doherty and Edwards are fucking shit, the sooner they're no longer in the team the better"...not going to happen is it.

Nothing has changed regarding the owners. They've bought us ultimately to bump up their brand exposure and much later on, make money out of us. Can't do that in this division. So they won't let us muddle on with a squad that's fit for about 15th place because that makes no sense to them.

Totally agree.

What would you like him to say, "Doherty and Edwards are fucking shit, the sooner they're no longer in the team the better"...not going to happen is it.

Nothing has changed regarding the owners. They've bought us ultimately to bump up their brand exposure and much later on, make money out of us. Can't do that in this division. So they won't let us muddle on with a squad that's fit for about 15th place because that makes no sense to them.

I hope youre right but he has admitted that he made the wrong decision already appointing Zenga...so does Jeff Shi know what it takes to get to the PL? not sure myself..

..and I will gladly stand here and hang my head in shame if PL and KT takes us to the premier league..

Get Ranieri in, let him buy whatever he wants..get us promoted and then we can build from there..

Back