• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation 24/25 Thread

I always remember Solbakken saying something along the lines of 'Someone has told Berra that he can't pass the ball well but it's not true'.
Stale Solbakken also thought it was a good idea to park our defensive line somewhere around 10 yards shy of the halfway line, with Berra and Johnson as centre halves and that moron Zubar outside them playing everyone onside every single time.

Made our defensive approach on Saturday look like AC Milan circa 1991.

Stale Solbakken also thought it was a good idea to park our defensive line somewhere around 10 yards shy of the halfway line, with Berra and Johnson as centre halves and that moron Zubar outside them playing everyone onside every single time.

GoN reminds me of Solbakken.

Wedded to an approach that doesn't work and completely lost when trying to charge.

Wedded to an approach that doesn't work and completely lost when trying to charge.
Looks like the same comedy defending from corners. Zone marking, just continually not in the right zones and seemingly unable to fix it.

That's actually a very good comparison.

Both started well (well it took eight games for GON to look promising) but eventually the deck of cards fell apart for both of them.

We'd have probably been relegated with Solbakken - Saunders made sure sure of it - but having just reviewed the season in the last few days (the horror . . . the horror), we could well have survived under Saunders if late season injuries to Sako and SEB didn't occur. SEB was in a rich vein of goal scoring form until his serious injury at Birmingham.

The last 6 games we lost 5 and won 1 - another 4 pts and we'd have survived and in an alternate universe Saunders wouldn't have got the sack and DW would have been committed.

The relegation allowed the club to totally reset in League 1 (thank God for only 1 season) under the steady hand of Kenny Jacket.

Last edited:

He also thought it was a criminal offence to actually tackle your opponent.

Ipswich v Everton and Southampton v Leicester this weekend, so at least 2 of our rivals picking up points this weekend.

Starting to look like even the much-anticipated win v Crystal Palace isn't going to move us up the table very much (if at all)

Ipswich v Everton and Southampton v Leicester this weekend, so at least 2 of our rivals picking up points this weekend.

Starting to look like even the much-anticipated win v Crystal Palace isn't going to move us up the table very much (if at all)

This is the thing plus it ramps up the pressure on those fixtures massively.
It’s why the “we’re doing our best” or “it’s just to damn difficult” attitude always bites you in the arse.
There’s being in poor form and there’s being demoralised, we’re definitely in the latter.

Last edited:
Very good chance we’ll be a more than 3 points from safety going into November. That in itself creates different pressure on the side.
It doesn’t take a soothsayer to see how this unfolds. Loses the next 2 and picks up 4 points from Palace & Saints going into the international break.
From then leading into Xmas we pick up about another 6 points points leaving us on 11 going into the festive period and probably adrift. At this point the likes of Jeff and Matt realise they’re in deep shit and need to change things.
By then it’s to late and most managers of any quality will know it’s beyond recovery meaning they recruit another cheap substandard option.

Very good chance we’ll be a more than 3 points from safety going into November. That in itself creates different pressure on the side.
It doesn’t take a soothsayer to see how this unfolds. Loses the next 2 and picks up 4 points from Palace & Saints going into the international break.
From then leading into Xmas we pick up about another 6 points points leaving us on 11 going into the festive period and probably adrift. At this point the likes of Jeff and Matt realise they’re in deep shit and need to change things.
By then it’s to late and most managers of any quality will know it’s beyond recovery meaning they recruit another cheap substandard option.
I don't think we will get 4 points from Palace and Saints.

I think 3 keeps him in a job unless one of the others is an embarrassment of some sort.

People I speak to that support other teams (Forest, Everton being the most pertinent) still seem to think that we’ll be fine and we will stay up no bother.

I tell them they’re talking shit.
I had that under Lage.

"You're doing alright aren't you, you'll be ok".

No we won't, we are fucking terrible.

The only non-Wolves supporting person I've spoken to recently who agrees that we're in trouble is a Southampton fan and that's because he can see all the same signs at his own club.

People I speak to that support other teams (Forest, Everton being the most pertinent) still seem to think that we’ll be fine and we will stay up no bother.

I tell them they’re talking shit.
If you look at the fixture list, the squad on paper, the public perception of O'Neil, some of the other teams, our 'hard luck' late defeats after dominating games, the fact we aren't adrift at the moment and it's easy to come to that conclusion from a helicopter view.

I think you need to be watching as closely as we are to see how that's fools gold. As GON is such a fan of odds I'm sure he's heartened by the bookies still having us staying up too.

If you look at the fixture list, the squad on paper, the public perception of O'Neil, some of the other teams, our 'hard luck' late defeats after dominating games, the fact we aren't adrift at the moment and it's easy to come to that conclusion from a helicopter view.

I think you need to be watching as closely as we are to see how that's fools gold. As GON is such a fan of odds I'm sure he's heartened by the bookies still having us staying up too.
GoN second favourite to get the boot next after ETH.

I think the bookies may have looked at the squad and thought they can't be that bad under a new boss.

The bookies clearly haven't factored in the useless cunt that is Jeff Shi.

GoN second favourite to get the boot next after ETH.

I think the bookies may have looked at the squad and thought they can't be that bad under a new boss.

The bookies clearly haven't factored in the useless cunt that is Jeff Shi.
can't even win that either!

Apparently Liam was suggesting last night that Fosun are reluctant to get rid of O'Neil as they fear him going to another PL team and smashing it (what, like he did after Bournemouth?) and remain convinced that he's the next big thing

Back