• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

RACE OVER: Wolves finished 7th

This. ALL OF THIS.

Get into Europe. Have better players. Win more stuff, more regularly.

Fuck fucking tea leaves, runes, or any other nonsensical witchcraft. More chance of Nagini slithering across the table at the London to have a bite out of Pablo.

Ambition is one thing. World domination another.

I just want us to walk before we run.

If course if Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar and others come to Wolves to play next year that increases our chances!

It is a marathon, not a sprint. Leeds wanted jam tomorrow and it set them back 20 years.

We are a good side with excellent coaches who have performed well this season by and large. We are on the right track but we are not rivaling the big six yet . I will take it as it comes thanks.

The interesting correlation is the sky six. The sky six europa league has little effect on their league position according to the figures, when they qualify the EL rather than the CL.

Spurs 4 better 2 worse 2 same position
Chelsea 1 better
Liverpool 1 better 1 worse
Man City 1 Better
Man Utd 1 worse
Arsenal 1 worse

Then it gets a bit more interesting
Everton 1 Better 3 worse 1 same
Newcastle 1 better 1 worse
Middlesbrough 1 better 1 worse
Aston Villa 1 worse 1 same
Blackburn 2 worse

Then the following all were worse the season following their only qualification, Leeds, Bolton and Swansea.

Of those non sky 6 only Everton have not been relegated since 2002! All the other 7 have.

Now there are many other factors to consider I am sure. You can see why the EL can be seen as negative in spite of the facts, especially if youre not in the big 6.

It aint rocket science, the people who qualified by finishing 7th have fuck all chance of improvement the next year, unless they break into the top six.
In effect have to finish best of the rest again just to equal the qualifying years performance.

It aint rocket science, the people who qualified by finishing 7th have fuck all chance of improvement the next year, unless they break into the top six.
In effect have to finish best of the rest again just to equal the qualifying years performance.

Yep, to an extent it's regression to the mean. Same as the Manager of the Month "curse". Teams drop off...but it's not witchcraft. The manager won it more often than not because the team overperformed in the previous month, got a stunning result, won every game or something. Fergie got a surprisingly low amount of awards because United were always expected to win most matches, so they go 4 for 4 and no-one bats an eyelid.

Yep, to an extent it's regression to the mean. Same as the Manager of the Month "curse". Teams drop off...but it's not witchcraft. The manager won it more often than not because the team overperformed in the previous month, got a stunning result, won every game or something. Fergie got a surprisingly low amount of awards because United were always expected to win most matches, so they go 4 for 4 and no-one bats an eyelid.

Exactly

I want us to be in Europe, if course

We need to prepared though. To say being in Europe won't have any effect just isn't true.

We absolutely should see it as an opportunity but we'll have to recruit to cope, even then, we won't we swapping 10 players around between Europe and the league games so it will have an impact

No one has said it will have zero effect. Quite obviously it will, therefore we will prepare for it. You are answering your own question.

I’m just saying (as most people are), that finishing in Europe doesn’t not automatically equal shit second season.

Unfortunately doing well means you play in Europe, if we want to progress to the levels we hope we are going to be doing it more often.

No one has said it will have zero effect. Quite obviously it will, therefore we will prepare for it. You are answering your own question.

I’m just saying (as most people are), that finishing in Europe doesn’t not automatically equal shit second season.

Unfortunately doing well means you play in Europe, if we want to progress to the levels we hope we are going to be doing it more often.

Quite correct - if we get there then will need a season to learn how to deal with it alongside the PL

No reason why we can't, but it won't come easy. We will need to do so if we are going to progress any higher

And No one is saying Europe qualification as 7th guarantees a shi t season the next year, but there seems to be some caution. That's all.

And No one is saying Europe qualification as 7th guarantees a shi t season the next year, but there seems to be some caution. That's all.

“It will also probably mean a poorer season in the league next season”

Is your exact words. You then spent a whole afternoon using “cyberFACTS” to back this up.

“It will also probably mean a poorer season in the league next season”

Is your exact words. You then spent a whole afternoon using “cyberFACTS” to back this up.

Poorer season is what I said

Shi t season is what you said. The facts Support a poorer season
It's puntsfacts that introduced shit

Poorer season is what I said

Shi t season is what you said. The facts Support a poorer season
It's puntsfacts that introduced shit

They do not, but you can’t be reasoned with. Good night

Can you all stop agreeing with each other? I think everyone is saying more or less the same thing

it doesn't HAVE to mean a poorer season at all. It may well if you are Burnley and considered that high finish a complete shock and don't want to burn budget that you maybe can't afford. It shouldn't do if you are Wolves with multiple billions behind you where that finish is what you want as a minimum.

It's like saying whoever wins the Premier League always seems to have a poorer season the following year.

If we finish 7th this season then our objective next season is to improve.

That doesn't necessarily mean we have to finish 6th or higher, but to get closer to the top 6 and do better in cup competitions, improving squad depth and performing more consistently at a high level.

It's like saying whoever wins the Premier League always seems to have a poorer season the following year.

The last 10 seasons, the side winning the league finished lower the next season. So the lesson there is don't win the Premier League

FAKTS!

I think the impact of being in the EL may well depend on when you start. Playing games in the early rounds in July must change pre-season preparation. The Top Six teams who end up in the EL generally bypass that which could explain why there is less impact on them. If we qualify it could impact on our transfer plans as we would undoubtedly need a bigger squad so might have to sacrifice a bit of quality for quantity.

No its not. You cant get a better position than first so you immediately are only left with same or worse. Despite yours and others ire I do remain cautious. I would love to see us in europe and see us improve on this season. That would be out of this world. On probability we will do well to match this seasons effort next year, although Leicester went and won in their second year so anythings possible. I hate disappointment especially when its something you know you are longing to see. All the signs from Fosun are good. The results on the pitch are generally good. We are where we wanted to be a little ahead of schedule. I just dont want any setbacks. Watford in the cup was a big enough set back for the team and fans to deal with. I still think we should get 7th. Whether that gets us in europe is down to Man City.

Back