• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brentford 0-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Not as the manager wants the whole squad playing that way. Bin off Doherty.
He can have his ideals but that's three out of five league games now where we haven't created a huge amount.

He can have his ideals but that's three out of five league games now where we haven't created a huge amount.
Yet we have scored 7 goals, 1 less than Cardiff who are top and 2 behind Ipswich who lead on goals scored. We did create chances today, maybe not as clear cut as you would like but chances none the less. Wait till you see the Jota chance, keeper does well but he should have buried it we also missed a header (Cav I think should have buried it)

With Cav or Costa on the other side and a replacement for Doc I think we will create plenty. I would also like to see a CM who can challenge Saiss, when hes on form hes great, he wasnt as good today.

We never got control in CM today which was the main issue. Saiss getting a bit of stick here but IMO Neves was clearly the weaker of the 2, he was off the pace and frankly pretty disappointing.

On way home will post full one later.
Not impressed with Bonatini,
The ref was awful, i really would like to read the report.
Really impressed with Miranda
Doherty was poor.
Neves is so Strong real quality

Doherty was poor.

Jota MOTM and Boly also really good.

Need a challenger for Saiss, a striker or start involving a kid a lot more if he has faith, someone getting fitness quickly and challenging Doherty. IMO

One more thing for me, we have to work on our set pieces we just don't look a threat especially seeing as we are playing 3 CB's.

So in summary, it was a poor game with no atmosphere, end to end decent play and chances for both reams to win it.........gotta love a verdict thread lol
Sums it up. Saved by a good day on the beer in the sun.

One more thing for me, we have to work on our set pieces we just don't look a threat especially seeing as we are playing 3 CB's.

They keep putting in set pieces for the flick on reckon it's as we're no good direct?

Doherty was poor.

Agree with this. Thought Bonatini was okay though, should've done Better with that chance in the second half but apart from that did well.

Very disappointing result. Lets not dress it up - we should be beating a side like Brentford. I'm not saying that in a big headed way - but they've not won a game this season and had lost 3 out of 4 games prior to kick off. If we have aspirations of finishing top 2, we need to find a way of beating sides like this. We're still 2 or 3 first team quality players off being a top 2 side in my opinion, and hopefully this will be addressed in the next week.

Nuno needs to realise very quickly that the standard of refereeing in this division is poor - and we will not be protected by the officials, so we need to get smarter in the way we manage games, otherwise we will see every team we come up against "do a Cardiff" on us. I'm also not totally convinced by the system. We seem fairly solid defensively, but with players like Cav, Jota & Neves in our side, we should be creating more chances and looking more of a threat going forward.

It sounded from the radio commentary that Neves had a real off day, and Saiss wasn't much better. Vinagre/Boly and Jota possibly the pick of our players, but Jota should have scored.

Disappointing result to head in to the international break with.

Again it is clear we need a goalscorer. I cannot quite understand why our limitations in front of goal has not been addressed.
Because the right prospects don't grow on trees. You can't just say "we need a goal scorer" and have one magically appear the next day for the right price and with the right attitude.

They keep putting in set pieces for the flick on reckon it's as we're no good direct?
Yes it looks that way (and most of the time not clearing the first man arrrgh) although at times it reminds be of the Dave Jones era. Perhaps if we get a bigger guy up top we will do things differently at the moment we aren't even looking threatening.

Not going to get that down hearted by this result. Either side 'could' have won it & whilst Brentford are towards the bottom of the league at the moment they are better than that.

Our midfield was nullified & seemed subdued today & we were ineffective down the right hand side. Jota was a bright spark, but is not a natural goalscorer (though his best opportunity was foiled by a good save by Bentley)

Either way 2 pts per game average will get us there or there about at the end of the season. Ipswich slipped up today & Cardiff will. There are gaps still to fill, but still 5 days to go in the window to deal with those. Don't think our business is finished yet.

I don't understand this sudden negatively/pessimism that's befallen us all of a sudden... from my perspective:

1) We're 4th with 10 from 5 games and won 3 games against some of the sternest opposition for this season (like it or lump it - it appears cardiff will be up there) and Brentford are 100% better than 23rd - I would love to see who genuinely believes Brentford will finish there this season.
2) We have gained 7 points from 3 away games.
3) We kept 3 clean sheets in these first 5 games against challenging opposition
4) We are playing with a clear identity and purpose that has only just been started since pre-season. The international break will give us another 2 weeks nearly to prepare even further.
5) At the risk of sounding stereotypically British - a lot of our coaches/Nuno/the players we've bought in will have gained valuable experience in these games to take on and use in the international break.
6) We are putting round pegs in round holes, very rarely have we had to see players being played out of position (Graham at RWB is the only major example in my mind as I do not count Coady in this regard)
7) We are still looking to bring in 3 players.
8) We have been playing without Costa and Marshall who were the standout players of last season. Yes, Marshall was crap/below average/poor etc. against Southampton but he was unfit and I seem to recall the out roar after his first game in January/February when he was also unfit and the subsequent improvement that came along as he became match fit.

I'm delighted with the start and fully believe that we will improve further

I don't know about negativity. It's alright to raise concerns though.

Given the residual quality we have, I think we're set up in a way that is relatively easy to nullify. Which is negligent really.

I thought Bonatini played well, his hold up and link play is exceptional. He's not a direct goal threat but I'm not sure he can be in this system. Cav needs to start next game, he's too good to leave on the bench. Jota was superb, he's so strong and elusive and Brentford couldn't handle him. I was incredibly excited about Vinagre after seeing him on Wednesday and nothing about today dampened that, the kid is exceptional and for me it's his shirt for now. Doherty as others have said is a clear weak link. I would have liked to see Ronan but Price was perhaps the safer option and taking a point from these off the back of a defeat wasn't the end of the world.

I actually thought the ref was ok until the final 10 minutes when he seemed to lose it and made a series of nonsense decisions (or rather non-decisions) and had me finally (and spectacularly) blowing my cover in the home end but talk of refs not protecting us after this game is ridiculous.

I don't know about negativity. It's alright to raise concerns though.

Given the residual quality we have, I think we're set up in a way that is relatively easy to nullify. Which is negligent really.

I'd agree with this, I don't think a striker is the answer.

It's not like the current incumbent is spooning chances off left and right. We just aren't creating.

The games I've seen so far have seen our opponents create more chances than we have

Let's not forget we expected a much slower start as fans and were spoiled in the first few games. This team is still coming together and the recruitment process not finished. We were better today for example than against Cardiff IMO however we do still have a few weaknesses and need better options from the bench.

Overall I'm very happy with our start and league position Nuno said we must be better in attacking areas and he is right.

I have complete faith in Nuno from what I have seen so far, Brentford were really good (ignore results) their Jota played his first game of the season I think and looked quality but they had several others than looked decent.

On the thought process that we should automatically beat them our cack Zenga side beat Newcastle yet they improved became more consistent and went up.

I agree we are still a few players off an automatic challenge however with what we have and a returning Costa we would be up there IMO.

Having watched some of the crap served up over the last few years we are a giant leap ahead of that already, let's wait and see what happens next week.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Back