• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brentford 0-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I don't understand this sudden negatively/pessimism that's befallen us all of a sudden... from my perspective:

1) We're 4th with 10 from 5 games and won 3 games against some of the sternest opposition for this season (like it or lump it - it appears cardiff will be up there) and Brentford are 100% better than 23rd - I would love to see who genuinely believes Brentford will finish there this season.
2) We have gained 7 points from 3 away games.
3) We kept 3 clean sheets in these first 5 games against challenging opposition
4) We are playing with a clear identity and purpose that has only just been started since pre-season. The international break will give us another 2 weeks nearly to prepare even further.
5) At the risk of sounding stereotypically British - a lot of our coaches/Nuno/the players we've bought in will have gained valuable experience in these games to take on and use in the international break.
6) We are putting round pegs in round holes, very rarely have we had to see players being played out of position (Graham at RWB is the only major example in my mind as I do not count Coady in this regard)
7) We are still looking to bring in 3 players.
8) We have been playing without Costa and Marshall who were the standout players of last season. Yes, Marshall was crap/below average/poor etc. against Southampton but he was unfit and I seem to recall the out roar after his first game in January/February when he was also unfit and the subsequent improvement that came along as he became match fit.

I'm delighted with the start and fully believe that we will improve further
Excellent post.

Having watched the game, I could see what we were trying to do but it wasn't so easy on such a small pitch. We could easily have nicked a win though, we created the chances to do so.

By the way not sure if mentioned but Jeff and Laurie were in the Griffin before the game. Jeff actually left the pub and walked up the road with his pint. He does what he wants I guess ;)

Only seen the sky highlights but we created chances today. Bonatini and Jota both had clear chances and should have scored. Jota also seemed to have several other chances and with Costa to come back and further players coming in we will be more than fine.

By the way not sure if mentioned but Jeff and Laurie were in the Griffin before the game. Jeff actually left the pub and walked up the road with his pint. He does what he wants I guess ;)

Did he have a sip?

Im really not buying people saying it was shit game, for me it was an end to end game against two decent footballing sides. Both teams had decent chances and can arguably say we should have won. Leo and Diogo had clear chances and should have scored and they had a good couple. Granted its not as fluent as what we saw against Derby and Hull but this team what they give you is excitement, Wolves of last year would have dropped deep and probably lost this, however Nuno's lads give you off the bums football, create chances and give you a chance that we can score. Im not buying all the doom mongers already, bloody hell Miranda you wanker, Saiss you Morrocan idle cunt etc etc. Come on ffs this is retard thinking of the highest order this football is a million times of last season. Im loving it.

Unless its what else happens during the transfer window - then nothing

On an Int break till 9th Sept
Yes transfer window still hopeful of another striker and CM. Not sure we need another LB though.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

This isn't a terrible result, but it is a game we should have been looking to win.

I'm in the camp that this formation won't bring out the best of our offensive players, and I don't agree that there is no way Nuno will ever change it. He hadn't played this formation before coming here (?), so I don't see why he should be so attached to it that he wouldn't ever consider changing it. I get that he's stubborn, but it doesn't seem too far fetched. Not saying he will, but I hope he'll think about it.

This isn't a terrible result, but it is a game we should have been looking to win.

I'm in the camp that this formation won't bring out the best of our offensive players, and I don't agree that there is no way Nuno will ever change it. He hadn't played this formation before coming here (?), so I don't see why he should be so attached to it that he wouldn't ever consider changing it. I get that he's stubborn, but it doesn't seem too far fetched. Not saying he will, but I hope he'll think about it.

I don't understand this obsession with "the system" either. There's no doubt he has a plan but it isn't like he has a history of only using this formation or even stubbornly choosing a formation and sticking with it. When Costa, Phil and Marshall return...plus any other additions, he will have options and other than the fact he has started out with this formation there is nothing in his history or anything he has said that suggests he is wedded to this formation.

4 clean sheets in 7 games with a completely remodelled defence is a strong base to work from. 10 points from 5 games isn't too shabby either. 7 points from 3 away games, only failed to score in 1 game out of 7. The positives seem to outweigh the negatives.

The positives seem to outweigh the negatives.

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. But to bury your head in the sand and pretend there aren't *some* concerns is folly. They might turn out to be unfounded but the giddiness about us romping the league should definitely have been put to bed now, we're not that good.

For a start we've got rid of crap like Mason, Edwards, Bodvarsson, Saville, Stearman etc (and though it's probably still taboo to say it, Ikeme)...yet there's still one horrible remnant of the previous era sticking out like a sore thumb and he's in an absolutely key position now. It'll cost us.

Im really not buying people saying it was $#@! game, for me it was an end to end game against two decent footballing sides. Both teams had decent chances and can arguably say we should have won. Leo and Diogo had clear chances and should have scored and they had a good couple. Granted its not as fluent as what we saw against Derby and Hull but this team what they give you is excitement, Wolves of last year would have dropped deep and probably lost this, however Nuno's lads give you off the bums football, create chances and give you a chance that we can score. Im not buying all the doom mongers already, bloody hell Miranda you $#@!er, Saiss you Morrocan idle $#@! etc etc. Come on ffs this is retard thinking of the highest order this football is a million times of last season. Im loving it.

What do you expect? Edwards has gone!

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. But to bury your head in the sand and pretend there aren't *some* concerns is folly. They might turn out to be unfounded but the giddiness about us romping the league should definitely have been put to bed now, we're not that good.

For a start we've got rid of crap like Mason, Edwards, Bodvarsson, Saville, Stearman etc (and though it's probably still taboo to say it, Ikeme)...yet there's still one horrible remnant of the previous era sticking out like a sore thumb and he's in an absolutely key position now. It'll cost us.

I personally think that Coady has fitted well into this new system. Of course it may be just possible that you could be thinking of someone else :hmmm::icon_twisted:

Because the right prospects don't grow on trees. You can't just say "we need a goal scorer" and have one magically appear the next day for the right price and with the right attitude.

But we have had plenty of time to bring a forward in, which I think is needed given the forwards who have left the club recently. I said a while back that we needed another striker, and was told that you don't build a lovely new house without putting a roof on it. So hopefully there will be a striker brought in before the window closes.

Im really not buying people saying it was shit game, for me it was an end to end game against two decent footballing sides. Both teams had decent chances and can arguably say we should have won. Leo and Diogo had clear chances and should have scored and they had a good couple. Granted its not as fluent as what we saw against Derby and Hull but this team what they give you is excitement, Wolves of last year would have dropped deep and probably lost this, however Nuno's lads give you off the bums football, create chances and give you a chance that we can score. Im not buying all the doom mongers already, bloody hell Miranda you wanker, Saiss you Morrocan idle cunt etc etc. Come on ffs this is retard thinking of the highest order this football is a million times of last season. Im loving it.
yes yes yes and yes this completely can't add any more other than yes and very well put!!

But we have had plenty of time to bring a forward in, which I think is needed given the forwards who have left the club recently. I said a while back that we needed another striker, and was told that you don't build a lovely new house without putting a roof on it. So hopefully there will be a striker brought in before the window closes.

We defiantly need one and I'd be very surprised if we don't have one by the end of the window.

It wasn't a good game but not because either team played particularly poorly, it was just a bit of a tactical stalemate. The two Jotas were the only two who looked to break the lines and create something.

I thought Bonatini played well, his hold up and link play is exceptional. He's not a direct goal threat but I'm not sure he can be in this system. Cav needs to start next game, he's too good to leave on the bench. Jota was superb, he's so strong and elusive and Brentford couldn't handle him. I was incredibly excited about Vinagre after seeing him on Wednesday and nothing about today dampened that, the kid is exceptional and for me it's his shirt for now. Doherty as others have said is a clear weak link. I would have liked to see Ronan but Price was perhaps the safer option and taking a point from these off the back of a defeat wasn't the end of the world.

I actually thought the ref was ok until the final 10 minutes when he seemed to lose it and made a series of nonsense decisions (or rather non-decisions) and had me finally (and spectacularly) blowing my cover in the home end but talk of refs not protecting us after this game is ridiculous.

Bonatini is a forward he was rarely in the box, far too slow in thought and pace. Second half he should have been on to the ball but he was slow to react and even.slower to move.

No where near championship standard.

They are loking at bringing a striker in. 100% guaranteedas any one in the Griffin will agree with.

Not sure this has happened before or will happen again but I actually agree with Tims assessment of the players from yesterday and the ratings.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Positives. Trying to play to an agreed style whomever plays. Better quality across the whole back line. Better quality in midfield. More creativity. Sharper passing. Better keeper. Keeping clean sheets. Manager and staff look switched on, capable and in tune.
Negatives. Stop Jota and Neves equals stop Wolves. Doherty not good enough as wing back. Leo not the solution at centre forward.

So in the last week of the transfer window we may still see two or three newbies! Summary so far B+ . Good potential but room for improvement

Back