• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brentford 0-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Obviously our highlights are likely biased. But there are a lot of more than half chances there. We know we're more likely to be a team winning 1-0 than 4-2, but away from home you can't be too disappointed.

Not sure which side is Jota's strongest. I thought it was left but I've seen him take a few shots on his right but then I've also seen him spanner it on both sides so it's not clear anyway! Needs some work in that department.

Well I've only seen those highlights but going on that not sure what people are moaning about, theres more passing, movement and action (from both sides) than I saw in the 4 live matches combined I went to last season

Well I've only seen those highlights but going on that not sure what people are moaning about, theres more passing, movement and action (from both sides) than I saw in the 4 live matches combined I went to last season

Not sure anyone's moaning, just saying it wasn't a great game, which it wasn't. Two very good sides who by and large defended well and cancelled each other out. Not sure I'd be able to single out any of our players for criticism really, apart from maybe Bright who had a few dodgy touches.

The clue is they are highlights. But it was nice to see them as a day in the beer in the sun had somewhat clouded the memory of the match.

One thing I've not seen mentioned was there was probably 15 or so Wolves fans in the home end. Towards the end of the match they'd given up sitting on their hands and were starting the chants!

Just watched the full match back - like this addition to Wolves TV, particularly with the one camera angle rather than the multi feed from Sky which tends to merely follow where the ball is.

When you know the result & when goals/major incidents occur then allows you to look at other aspects of the game/team structure, which you don't tend to so much when at the ground or watching live, from which much can be learn't.

Champagne moment was Boly getting beaten to the ball, giving the attacker a 5 yrd start then merely catching him up within 4 strides, dispossessing him & firing a good pass out to the right as if nothing had happened.

After watching Liverpool we have the players to play the same 433 formation they did today which doesn't involve a theoretical 10 like we have in the past as Firmino is almost the false 9. Without any further signings, but no injuries:
Ruddy

Phil
Miranda
Boly
Douglas

Saiss
Neves
Ronan

Costa
Cav
Jota

That would be a stronger line up (with the possible need of a right back as I've never seen Phil play) than I feel we are playing with a 343 / 3241

I think yesterday showed exactly why Nuno favours the 3-4-3. We're much harder to break down than we would be playing 4-3-3, Brentford spent a long time yesterday passing the ball around searching for an overload through the middle but they never got it. For all their possession they never really harmed us, apart from the one where Jota hit the post and when the striker did his best Dave Edwards impersonation by falling over as he was about to hit it.

I think yesterday showed exactly why Nuno favours the 3-4-3. We're much harder to break down than we would be playing 4-3-3, Brentford spent a long time yesterday passing the ball around searching for an overload through the middle but they never got it. For all their possession they never really harmed us, apart from the one where Jota hit the post and when the striker did his best Dave Edwards impersonation by falling over as he was about to hit it.

+ the Jota chance came from a ricochet which can happen whatever formation we had been playing

I didn't see the game, but the flip is would we have created more chances? Doherty isn't for me as a RWB, not sure Saiss can be trusted in a midfield 2, Cav would offer more as a falseish 9 than Bonatini as a proper 9.

Like Dean Smith said after the game, we are very tough to break down, and then we can get forward in numbers because we defend with five, then are able to attack with five.

I really like this formation. Teams now have to deliberately set up to nullify our wing-backs with their wide players forced to stay out wide, which gives us plenty of opportunities either in the channels or through the middle, depending on where the two inside forwards can find the most space.

Once we get a better striker in, and Costa back the chances will only increase and we'll score even more goals.

I think saiss looks much better in a 2 in this formation than he did as the holding player last season. Worse team (And manager, and tactics) but I see that as the best midfield pair in the division too in him and Neves. And people definitely wouldn't have entertained that idea with Saiss last season

Liverpool don't have a holder in the sense that Lambert had Saiss holding hands with the centre halves last year though, so I don't think you can judge want Saiss did last year versus what he could do this year in my suggested formation

As I said yesterday, I can't see any point in discussing formation changes with Nuno in charge.

As I said yesterday, I can't see any point in discussing formation changes with Nuno in charge.

I like 3-4-3. I just dont think Mr Gloves is a top 5 championship wing back and we look a bit light at centre forward.

I didn't see the game, but the flip is would we have created more chances? Doherty isn't for me as a RWB, not sure Saiss can be trusted in a midfield 2, Cav would offer more as a falseish 9 than Bonatini as a proper 9.

Nuno is defence first. That's just the way he is. It's not like we're not creating chances though, against Hull & Derby we created chances at will. Against Brentford it did become a bit 'give it to Jota and hope he scores' but that was because Brentford were hard to break down as well, their attacking players work hard to get back and defend in numbers.

I'd be doing everything I could to keep, Miranda, Coady & Boly together as well. The longer those 3 spend on the pitch together the better for us this season IMO, they were fantastic as a unit yesterday. Jota gets my MOTM for his individual performance but I was far more impressed with how the 3 centre backs worked together, they've got a real understanding and give us a fantastic base to build from.

I'm also a big fan of Bonatini as well tbh, I thought he had a good game overall although he did fade in the second half. I wouldn't be upset if we kept Nouha and didn't sign another striker tbh, I like our options up front as they are now (obviously if we can improve on them then great)

Yep. Like he said, we're trying to build an identity. We're not going to change this formation apart from the odd minor tweak.

3 clean sheets in 5 games having played 4 teams in the top half of the league , albeit an early table. I would have taken that in any season ever yet alone a start pf season with so many changes in squad and management and coaching. Nope I am happy so far and hope to see a couple of shortcomings addressed this week.

Fair enough, just got back from holiday today, so Boro is the only game I've seen in the flesh, but watched the Liverpool game and thought the way they set up would suit us.

The first two games, given plenty of space, Doherty looked right at home at RWB. With less space in the following games as teams figured out he was getting too much room to play, he has had to work a lot harder to get up and down and also to find room to play when he receives the ball, and he looks like he struggles more. Put him under pressure and get tight to him and it's noticeable. Whereas with someone like Douglas he has a much better footballing brain and passing technique and can play his way out in a way Doherty can't.

Back