• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves are for sale and Darlo wants some smooth thighs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solbakken was the right type of appointment and showed a bit of vision from the board, but hindsight will tell a different story.

Yeah - it was a shame it didn't work out but at the time I thought it was an exciting, bold appointment.

Fun fact - I nearly typed 'bald' rather than 'bold'.

i liked a lot of what solbakken said, as a lot of the fanbase did, but that doesn't mean he's the right appointment. we have to take it as read that he's going to be interviewed properly and asked searching questions about how he's going to achieve what he's aiming for as well as assessing whether it makes sense particularly in a different country and a very competitive league. having a vision is not an implementation plan, and as it turned out stale's had some serious flaws. i suspect the i/v process did as well, particularly given what had happened before and what happened after.

that's why it's ridiculous to point the finger at fans who back one appointment or another, in the same way it's ridiculous of fans to simply criticise the non appointment of someone. fans don't have the benefit of the i/v process nor the full info of why someone might have been rejected.

i liked a lot of what solbakken said, as a lot of the fanbase did, but that doesn't mean he's the right appointment. we have to take it as read that he's going to be interviewed properly and asked searching questions about how he's going to achieve what he's aiming for as well as assessing whether it makes sense particularly in a different country and a very competitive league. having a vision is not an implementation plan, and as it turned out stale's had some serious flaws. i suspect the i/v process did as well, particularly given what had happened before and what happened after.

that's why it's ridiculous to point the finger at fans who back one appointment or another, in the same way it's ridiculous of fans to simply criticise the non appointment of someone. fans don't have the benefit of the i/v process nor the full info of why someone might have been rejected.

I think he was a little naïve and also unfortunate. Naïve that he thought he could change the style of play straight away and also unfortunate that he came at time where player power was rife throughout the club.

I think he was a little naïve and also unfortunate. Naïve that he thought he could change the style of play straight away and also unfortunate that he came at time where player power was rife throughout the club.

i wouldn't disagree, but don't you think that the club should have been in a position to
1. assess that naivety through the i/v process; and
2. have had sufficient knowledge of the "player power that was rife throughout the club" to determine whether Stale was the right personality to handle it.

what did i/v process entail? we like your vision, we can give you £xm to achieve it, let's hope it works, fingers crossed?

I don't think there was one for either Stale & Deano - they were both recommendations from Morgan's mates.

i wouldn't disagree, but don't you think that the club should have been in a position to
1. assess that naivety through the i/v process; and
2. have had sufficient knowledge of the "player power that was rife throughout the club" to determine whether Stale was the right personality to handle it.

what did i/v process entail? we like your vision, we can give you £xm to achieve it, let's hope it works, fingers crossed?

Indeed. Considering we have million page dossier on every player, the due diligence done on managers is horrendous.

I don't think there was one for either Stale & Deano - they were both recommendations from Morgan's mates.

I refuse to believe that anyone can sit in a room talking to Dean Saunders for five minutes and not leave shaking your head at what a certified idiot he is. I think you're right, especially as he was as good as installed while he was still employed by Doncaster.

We now the Welsh Wizard was but was Solbakken? If so, was it from Jan Molby? In which case, dear God what was he thinking!

I would hope if it was the case then Moxey should've been strong enough to say no. Especially to that Welsh clown.

the CEO of an owner managed business either has to live with the whims of his owner or pack his bags. that's flippant of course as he should at the very least diplomatically challenge decisions he didn't agree with. the presumption here is that Jez did disagree or was even consulted on it.

I'd have thought that an i/v process does need to include someone with "game/coaching" experience and not rely simply on a Owner/CEO, as we all know however, if that "advisor" is also a knobhead it doesn't mean you'll get the right result. but you'd hope it would improve the chances.

I would hope if it was the case then Moxey should've been strong enough to say no. Especially to that Welsh clown.

The only manager failure that Jez will admit to being involved with is Glenda.

The only manager failure that Jez will admit to being involved with is Glenda.

and you can imagine glenda being "too good to be interviewed", so i'd be surprised if that wasn't simply a nice cosy chat.

Jez definitely did make a show of acquiring Hoddle as a massive coup for the club. Despite the most cursory examination of his time at Spurs showing it to be full of mundane football peppered with terrible signings.

i think we've a bizarre history of managerial appointments and processes. my "favourite", which really isn't the right word, is the curbishley situation and not having everything agreed with him upfront. the rationale afterwards being that they didn't want to do the dirty on Mick. the problem being, to avoid doing the dirty on him, they had to sack him. i'm laughing as i write it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back