• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves are for sale and Darlo wants some smooth thighs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I liked it more when it was Robin Li as an individual buying the club, rather than some business conglomerate.

I think I liked it more when it was Robin Li as an individual buying the club, rather than some business conglomerate.

Why? Glazers were individuals, Lerner was an individual, Carson Yeung was an individual - a conglomerate suggests to me something that is not the potential whim of one super-rich person, who may get bored very quickly, or make poor egotistical decisions.

Why? Glazers were individuals, Lerner was an individual, Carson Yeung was an individual - a conglomerate suggests to me something that is not the potential whim of one super-rich person, who may get bored very quickly, or make poor egotistical decisions.

Equally if we are merely a business venture then things could turn sour very quickly if we don't succeed very, very soon.

Equally if we are merely a business venture then things could turn sour very quickly if we don't succeed very, very soon.

I suppose history tells us there are pros and cons to both situations - we might just have to judge them on what actually happens!

I suppose history tells us there are pros and cons to both situations - we might just have to judge them on what actually happens!

No doubt, I just personally have less worry in a man making a personal venture than a business making a monetary one.

Are there any other UK examples of a club being owned as part of such a diversified business empire?

Are there any other UK examples of a club being owned as part of such a diversified business empire?

ENIC own Spurs as well as a lot of other companies in different markets (software, leisure, film).

£45m is a bloody good deal for Morgan, putting 50% on his money in 9 years. Must be a CAGR of around 4-5% which is probably better than he would have got if he'd just left it in the bank

Despite building up hefty debts in the process, Guo made clear his continuing interest in consumer-led sectors, saying they offered strong value.

"We see more and more opportunities globally so we are adapting our strategy, " Guo, who has been ranked as China's 17th richest man, said during a visit to Portugal where Fosun bought market-leading insurer Fidelidade in 2014.

"Our target for the next five to 10 years is to become the world's leading service provider for individuals and families in terms of health, wealth and happiness, " he said.

"In the sectors where we have invested we will become a very important international insurance group and a very important tourism group, and we will become a world-leading healthcare provider, " he added.

Last month, Moody's credit rating agency restored its outlook on Hong Kong-listed Fosun International's Ba3 credit rating to stable from negative, reflecting its expectation that the group "will prudently manage its expansion and strengthen its financial discipline".

Guo said the company was working hard to reduce debts and obtain an investment grade rating - three notches above Ba3 - "as soon as possible", adding: "We are working on that and have a very clear plan to do that. "

Moody's noted last month that Fosun had slowed its overseas acquisitions since the second half of 2015, lowering its cash needs, although the agency also said its rating could come under pressure if it continued ambitious debt-funded growth.

Despite building up hefty debts in the process, Guo made clear his continuing interest in consumer-led sectors, saying they offered strong value.

"We see more and more opportunities globally so we are adapting our strategy, " Guo, who has been ranked as China's 17th richest man, said during a visit to Portugal where Fosun bought market-leading insurer Fidelidade in 2014.

"Our target for the next five to 10 years is to become the world's leading service provider for individuals and families in terms of health, wealth and happiness, " he said.

"In the sectors where we have invested we will become a very important international insurance group and a very important tourism group, and we will become a world-leading healthcare provider, " he added.

Last month, Moody's credit rating agency restored its outlook on Hong Kong-listed Fosun International's Ba3 credit rating to stable from negative, reflecting its expectation that the group "will prudently manage its expansion and strengthen its financial discipline".

Guo said the company was working hard to reduce debts and obtain an investment grade rating - three notches above Ba3 - "as soon as possible", adding: "We are working on that and have a very clear plan to do that. "

Moody's noted last month that Fosun had slowed its overseas acquisitions since the second half of 2015, lowering its cash needs, although the agency also said its rating could come under pressure if it continued ambitious debt-funded growth.

Happiness? In Wolverhampton? That's some project!

£45m is a bloody good deal for Morgan, putting 50% on his money in 9 years. Must be a CAGR of around 4-5% which is probably better than he would have got if he'd just left it in the bank

Nearly 5% TT. That's a decent return on most investment vehicles let alone the bank.

No doubt, I just personally have less worry in a man making a personal venture than a business making a monetary one.

yep, I agree and made the same point yesterday. plus there's less business politicking.

I've not checked but how quickly has robin li made his money and is he likely to continue to keep making it. cos if so, he's in a different league to glazers and lerner. why even mention carson yeung, was he worth anything?

One word of caution on Fosun, and Chinese companies generally. I wrote an article for an economics magazine about a month ago on Chinese Corporate Debt. The banks there are very exposed, especially to the State Owned Enterprises (SOEs) & there's a huge web of interconnected shareholdings. If there's a problem with the Chinese banking system (which is by no means impossible) then I'd suspect a company like Fosun would be in trouble very quickly. Yes, it looks like it will be an exciting ride - as it will be for many English clubs under Chinese ownership - but if the buyer is Fosun, I'd say there's a downside every bit as much as there's an upside. And Mendes hasn't suddenly become a Wolves supporter: he's a Mendes supporter, and always will be.

Other than the odd bit about the guy going missing for a bit, what's so strange in that article?

Him going missing, which in reality was him being taking in for questioning by the authorities in an anti-corruption investigation. Like I said I'm open minded but I'd much rather fancy a Robin Li owning us for the kicks than a private equity company owning us to possibly make a fast profit. At the end of the day we don't know what their intentions are so it'll probably all come good, certainly better than the slow death by neglect we've had the last 12 months.

Carry on knocking MM if it makes you feel better. I, like all other fans, will approach this news with an open mind but Fosun have had some strange goings on;

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0Y81UZ[/QUOTE

Said very few investments planned in the UK even prior to Brexit which doesnt suggest him as an investor.
But then again the interview took place in Portugal which putting 2 +2 together.....

Ah fuck it I'm more confused then ever

Tim II getting smoe pelters for this tweet: https://twitter.com/tim_spiers_Star/status/755521179398631424

Tim Spiers ‏@tim_spiers_Star 10h10 hours ago

Have to wonder where Lopetegui (linked again with Spain today) fits in. Initial reports said he was Li's man. Now Li said not to be involved

I know he's paid to have an opinion and an angle, but Lopetegui is clearly in bed with Mendes. He's hardly an old school chum of Li :icon_lol:

Think before you Tweet man!!

Him going missing, which in reality was him being taking in for questioning by the authorities in an anti-corruption investigation. Like I said I'm open minded but I'd much rather fancy a Robin Li owning us for the kicks than a private equity company owning us to possibly make a fast profit. At the end of the day we don't know what their intentions are so it'll probably all come good, certainly better than the slow death by neglect we've had the last 12 months.

Either option could go either way I guess. You could luck out with an Abramovitch or end up with one of the many dodgy individuals. At least with a Fosun-style deal, you'd expect there to be some sort of corporate governance at play and if they're look to expand into European territories more and more, they're not going to make themselves look very attractive by being complete arsehats with their investments.

Or it might be shit. Who knows? I guess as fans all we can do is try to enjoy the ride wherever it takes us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back