• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves are for sale and Darlo wants some smooth thighs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Useful analysis of the others DW - one benefit we have is not being loaded with debt, like some others at this level.

If whoever buys isn't going to put in £m then we are no worse off than now as Morgan clearly wasn't going to. Have no problem with that as its how the club is run by the CEO/Manager etc. which will define whether we can move forward as much as how much we spend.

- The failure to invest sufficiently to make us anything more than Premier League whipping boys once there
- Starting the stadium rebuild far too early resulting in a lop sided, silly Molineux that we're now seemingly stuck with when the old Molineux was fine as it was and just needed the proverbial lick of paint
- His handling/timing of the Mick McCarthy sacking
- The subsequent bodged hunt for a new manager culminating in the ridiculous appointment of Terry Connor
- The risky and ultimately poor hiring of Stale Solbakken
- The even more ridiculous appointment of Saunders
- A combination of the above seeing the club slip from the Premier League to League 1 in successive seasons
- During this period seeing a succession of so called lesser clubs leapfrog us and do what we should have done but have never been able/willing to do
- The amateur feel of the club
- Hot headed outbursts such as storming into the dressing room against Liverpool

There are however plus points:

- We achieved promotion as Champions of our respective leagues in 2009 and 2014
- We have invested in the infrastructure of the club
- The club is in a relatively healthy financial position

Surely those three plus points far, far outweigh the bad points, yes there has been mistakes during his tenure but a healthy infrastructure and finances are paramount as a basis of any successful business ?

Whilst there are far worse owners out there than Morgan, there are a number of factors about his time at the club that anger me:

- The failure to invest sufficiently to make us anything more than Premier League whipping boys once there
- Starting the stadium rebuild far too early resulting in a lop sided, silly Molineux that we're now seemingly stuck with when the old Molineux was fine as it was and just needed the proverbial lick of paint
- His handling/timing of the Mick McCarthy sacking
- The subsequent bodged hunt for a new manager culminating in the ridiculous appointment of Terry Connor
- The risky and ultimately poor hiring of Stale Solbakken
- The even more ridiculous appointment of Saunders
- A combination of the above seeing the club slip from the Premier League to League 1 in successive seasons
- During this period seeing a succession of so called lesser clubs leapfrog us and do what we should have done but have never been able/willing to do
- The amateur feel of the club
- Hot headed outbursts such as storming into the dressing room against Liverpool

There are however plus points:

- We achieved promotion as Champions of our respective leagues in 2009 and 2014
- We have invested in the infrastructure of the club
- The club is in a relatively healthy financial position

As I said, there are a number of factors regarding Morgan's time at Wolves which anger me and some have been downright ridiculous but there are far worse football club owners around but the main thing for me is the club has not developed or progressed as it should have done and we find ourselves now, on the pitch at least, in a worse position than when he took over. Whether this is good or bad news, nobody knows as yet. It all depends on the level (if any) of interest and by whom in taking over Wolves and what their aims and ambitions for the club would be.

There are worse owners we could have. There are also better ones. Finding the latter is the key.

I agree with all that and the problem is the same problem that has littered his tender, a decision without any planning and this one could do us over more than any of his others.

Brilliant analysis DW, fair play for that.

Out of interest, how much does Peace want for Albion? Anyone know?

It might. But the malcontents calling for it to happen since forever will not see their hand in the situation and still blame Morgan alone.

£80m is the figure banded around, but he wants it on his terms

I know these are uncertain times, but what is the point in having a rich chairman, who wasn't willing to invest his own money, to push for promotion?

Surely those three plus points far, far outweigh the bad points, yes there has been mistakes during his tenure but a healthy infrastructure and finances are paramount as a basis of any successful business ?

Kind of yes but the average fan wants to see a (relatively) successful team over a business. I know the business side of it is important and as I said, I like the fact that we are in a healthy position financially but I am not happy in how the club has gone backwards playing wise.

It hurts me to see how the likes of Albion and Stoke have long since left us behind and we are now seemingly further away from the PL than we were in the 1990s

What would you prefer? A pauper with his heart in the right place?

You are asking for one of two things. The boyhood fan made good with millions to happily chuck, or the oligarch behemoth for whom the millions needed are loose change down the sofa. Other "rich chairmen" are hoping to make things self-sufficient at some point at this level, or they don't stay rich for very long.

It hurts me to see how the likes of Albion and Stoke have long since left us behind and we are now seemingly further away from the PL than we were in the 1990s

It wouldn't surprise me to find we are a lot further away from the PL now than we were at midday.

The thing is, as I put in my analysis, Coates is minted and has bankrolled Stoke to an enormous degree for ages now. He makes Morgan look like a bloke who nurses a half in Wetherspoons and that is also a model we haven't had since Sir Jack's last push in 2001.

Albion have had more or less the same exact model as we've had. They've just been much more effective at doing it, so it's not a question of approach there or how the club is run. The two are ideologically very similar.

This season just gets worse by the day. Great optimism at end of last season - just missing out on playoffs. New players coming in pre-season to give that extra push !!!!!
We sell our current best centre half for a bag of crisps and still don't bring in a 'player of note'.
Dicko gets injured and out for the season. Dave Edwards becomes our very own Messi, till his injury.
Now the owner has had enough, cashing in his chips and leaving the building !!!
No more investment this season - we'll be lucky to stay up !!!!
Totally pissed off with the club at present -

This season just gets worse by the day. Great optimism at end of last season - just missing out on playoffs. New players coming in pre-season to give that extra push !!!!!
We sell our current best centre half for a bag of crisps and still don't bring in a 'player of note'.
Dicko gets injured and out for the season. Dave Edwards becomes our very own Messi, till his injury.
Now the owner has had enough, cashing in his chips and leaving the building !!!
No more investment this season - we'll be lucky to stay up !!!!
Totally pissed off with the club at present -

hmmmmm

what did I say earlier in the thread?

Oh yes

Something like:

"Get your chequebook out or fuck off Morgan you Scouse wanker"

SM - "I am leaving immediately"

"Fucking Morgan leaving us in the lurch, Scouse wanker"

So utterly predictable. Sorry Mick, I know your heart is in the right place but look at what you have written. A large vocal part of the support have been anti-Morgan forever. Either Scouse mafia or where is the investment? He clearly said if he felt he wasn't wanted, he would leave. Well, guess what, he has. People need to consider that.

Net worth

S Morgan approximately £450-£500m

Robert Plant approximately £170m

Don't expect Fabregas in midfield if Planty was the owner of the purse-strings.

hmmmmm

what did I say earlier in the thread?

Oh yes

Something like:

"Get your chequebook out or $#@! off Morgan you Scouse $#@!er"

SM - "I am leaving immediately"

"$#@!ing Morgan leaving us in the lurch, Scouse $#@!er"

So utterly predictable. Sorry Mick, I know your heart is in the right place but look at what you have written. A large vocal part of the support have been anti-Morgan forever. Either Scouse mafia or where is the investment? He clearly said if he felt he wasn't wanted, he would leave. Well, guess what, he has. People need to consider that.

Well said Paddy. My thoughts exactly. The abuse he had, for a while now, I don't blame him for one minute.

I know these are uncertain times, but what is the point in having a rich chairman, who wasn't willing to invest his own money, to push for promotion?

Because relying on a rich chairman means you're fucked when he sells up/dies.

At the end of the day, if you want someone to come in and get Wolves established in the Premiier league (and by that I mean solidly mid table, with infrastructure (ground, staff, training facilities, overseas networks)) you're talking literally hundreds of millions of pounds.

So that needs to come from either a businessman who thinks he can spend that and still turn a profit (and god forbid the idea that, ten years from now such a person might take some money back out...) or someone who is so rich they can afford to write it off as spending for fun.

Thats very naive.

A large vocal part of the support have been anti-Morgan forever. Either Scouse mafia or where is the investment? He clearly said if he felt he wasn't wanted, he would leave. Well, guess what, he has. People need to consider that.

Even leaving aside that, there have been plenty of comments along the lines of "if Morgan's heart isn't in it then he should get out and let someone else take over". Almost as if people hadn't really thought through the consequences of the owner doing one suddenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back