• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves are for sale and Darlo wants some smooth thighs

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it really is shit ownership to pick 3 bad managers in a row.

You could argue Sir Jack (or those who he chose to hand responsibility to) managed to pick five bad managers in a row before we dropped lucky with Mick being available at a time when Hoddle ditched us...

Morgan has invested in certain projects away from Wolves as well, isn't the building next to the bus station Morgan funded ?

But it really is shit ownership to pick 3 bad managers in a row.

Yup. Its been done to death, but I think the weight of the Albion defeat 'bounced' M&M into making a decision. They panicked, ditched Mick without any idea of what should happen next. So TC was the default option. SS was a risk that didnt pay off (a lot of people were happy at the time he was appointed). DS was a cunt.

I think (and so this is obviously my opinion and your mileage may vary) that the Bruce (and originally Curbishley) issue and Connor were rather related. By the time Curbishley had dicked us around and the approach to Bruce had proved to be somewhat unpopular, time to have any chance of escape was hugely short. So then Morgan made a panic decision that turned out to be bloody awful. Thing is, would anyone else have joined then, as we were suddenly getting cast adrift? I dunno - I obviously wasn't privy to the ongoings of the boardroom that week, but I get the impression it became a "no-one else will come, we may as well stick with TC and hope for a miracle" moment.

Yes, we did get a lot in from Jarvis and Fletcher, that is beyond dispute. However, our income, even allowing for parachute payments had been massively reduced by relegation. It was squad or ground really unless Morgan was to personally chuck the money in to cover both. With that not happening, the budget available was given to Solbakken for the squad. Sadly, bar Sako, it is was largely wasted money. Maybe you could lay the failure to do both by personally investing at Morgan's door, but that was as far as all the evidence indicates, never part of his business plan.

Morgan has invested in certain projects away from Wolves as well, isn't the building next to the bus station Morgan funded ?

I thought it was the one going up by the Penn Road roundabout that was Morgan funded.

Yeah, Morgan is behind the Way Youth Zone at the end of the Penn Road. No idea about the work by the train station though.

I think (and so this is obviously my opinion and your mileage may vary) that the Bruce (and originally Curbishley) issue and Connor were rather related. By the time Curbishley had dicked us around and the approach to Bruce had proved to be somewhat unpopular, time to have any chance of escape was hugely short. So then Morgan made a panic decision that turned out to be bloody awful. Thing is, would anyone else have joined then, as we were suddenly getting cast adrift? I dunno - I obviously wasn't privy to the ongoings of the boardroom that week, but I get the impression it became a "no-one else will come, we may as well stick with TC and hope for a miracle" moment.

We didn't actually play any games between Mick being punted and TC being appointed for the rest of the season - then we drew his first game up at Newcastle. So nothing really materially changed in terms of our survival chances. I always say we had no chance whatever as the squad was so obviously broken in key areas and morale was on the floor. No-one we could have realistically attracted would have saved us, although plenty would have done better than four points from 13 games.

Yeah, Morgan is behind the Way Youth Zone at the end of the Penn Road. No idea about the work by the train station though.

Is that the old Fox hotel? Or am I lost. Didn't realise it was going there

In regards to what?
What the land was bought for, how many houses were built and what they were sold for. Instead of buying the rhetoric that the Training Ground rebuild was a smokescreen for Redrow gain I'd like to know what is the truth.

Redrow gain does not actually equal money in the back pocket of S Morgan. Plus he is paying a chunk of the money for the rebuild of the school and tennis club there as well. Those houses there do not equal the same level of cash. Redrow is a PLC and Morgan is not the 100% owner. That is important.

The Bruce one is true but not the Conner part, most fans were pretty disgruntled with this and the majority said we may as well have kept MM. Huge bollock dropped there.

The Solbakken thing is also a misnomer, Wolves raised Over £20m by selling Jarvis, Fletcher and the rest but didn't spend anywhere near that amount. Although you could say Solbakken was allowed to waste money he didn't overspend what came in. This isn't Morgan supporting his manger, more letting the club run itself.

I put Moxey not Morgan in the frame for this, but the sale of Fletcher and Jarvis showed a lack of understanding or arrogance, everyone knew they were both going to go, but in squeezing an extra couple of million out of the respective deal Moxey left Solbakken with a trolley dash to build a team once the season had already started. Good business financially poor football wise. One of Morgan's biggest mistakes was keeping Moxey on. Moxey equally as the man in charge of the football club couldn't manage his boss; Liverpool, Bournemouth, Solbakken, Saunders, over reliance on the Academy.

As a point of order the reason we didn't want Bruce wasn't because of his Blues links, but because he'd just been sacked by Sunderland who at the time were worse than we were.

What the land was bought for, how many houses were built and what they were sold for. Instead of buying the rhetoric that the Training Ground rebuild was a smokescreen for Redrow gain I'd like to know what is the truth.

It's my understand that the yield on that kind of project isn't especially lucrative. I mean obviously Redrow (not Morgan) will make some money off it or they wouldn't bother in the first place, but in the grand scheme of things relative to football finances it'll be completely insignificant.

I also believe we had to buy all that land anyway to extend the Academy, whether houses got built on some of it or not.

On Bruce: my position was that he looked completely broken at Sunderland by the end, I didn't see him as likely to keep us up and I didn't see him as more likely to get us back up than Mick would have been. So as far as I was concerned had we gone for him we'd have swapped roughly like for like (except Bruce is infinitely more irritating than Mick was), so what was the point.

When we sacked Mick I thought the right managerial appointment could have kept us up, hindsight says that Wigan's stupendous run means I don't think anyone would.

Just over the road. Used to be a club called "First Base"/"Screamers".

http://thewayyouthzone.org/

Morgan is Chairman of TheWay and along with the council and other businesses around Wolverhampton have created a brilliant facility for the young people of Wolverhampton.

As for Compton, I'd say that Morgan instigated Redrow building on there to allow Wolves to build the academy at a cheaper price. Wolverhampton is one of the last places in the Country you'd look to build luxury houses if it was based purely on a business decision by Redrow.

Phase two didnt happen because the money wasnt there. So if the club couldnt afford it (and thats what the emphasis should be - can the club afford it, not the chairman), it shouldnt happen.

Yes, you can argue that we should speculate to accumulate. Like we did when we built the John Ireland stand...

And as for the manager, yes, bad decisions were made. If you think we can get an owner in place who will never pick an unsuccesful manager then good luck.

The money for the Steve Bull was " ring fenced". Phase 1 and 2 were to go ahead. The South Bank was to be completed at a later date.

Why not build the stand that needed doing, that Is over 40 years old and has structural problems first, if you weren't sure you were going to complete 2 stands?

We were given this massive national TV presentation, about the new development at Molineux. Phase 2 was always part of the build that was going to be completed.

Could you remind me, what Steve Bruce did in his next season in football management, after we refused to give him a job?

Morgan is Chairman of TheWay and along with the council and other businesses around Wolverhampton have created a brilliant facility for the young people of Wolverhampton.

As for Compton, I'd say that Morgan instigated Redrow building on there to allow Wolves to build the academy at a cheaper price. Wolverhampton is one of the last places in the Country you'd look to build luxury houses if it was based purely on a business decision by Redrow.

Thanks Penk

The money for the Steve Bull was " ring fenced". Phase 1 and 2 were to go ahead. The South Bank was to be completed at a later date.

Why not build the stand that needed doing, that Is over 40 years old and has structural problems first, if you weren't sure you were going to complete 2 stands?

We were given this massive national TV presentation, about the new development at Molineux. Phase 2 was always part of the build that was going to be completed.

Could you remind me, what Steve Bruce did in his next season in football management, after we refused to give him a job?

And what did he do at the end of his third season, correct, relegation, just as McCarthy. I still prefer going down and offsetting the wasters rather than maintaining the status quo of being stuck with managers spunking millions of pounds and peaking at 15th.

And what did he do at the end of his third season, correct, relegation, just as McCarthy. I still prefer going down and offsetting the wasters rather than maintaining the status quo of being stuck with managers spunking millions of pounds and peaking at 15th.

Peaking at 15th , reaching a cup final , playing in Europe and challenging straight away when relegated. No I would hate that here................

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back