• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves are for sale and Darlo wants some smooth thighs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morgan's tenure has been fraught with poor decisions, but equally it has been the most exciting time I have had supporting Wolves.

2 relegations, a last gasp survival in the prem and 2 title winning seasons. For this he has delivered what most football fans never truly experience; real excitement!

Imagine being villa and finishing 3 places above relegation every season, fuck that! I for one has enjoyed the ride under SM and for that I thank him and hope we continue exciting (but solvent) adventures under a new custodian.

To be fair I won't remember Morgan as a great chairman, because unlike Sir Jack there's never been a raft of one way investment (the club isn't being given away now) and we've had perhaps even more footballing mistakes under Morgan than we did under SJH. There isn't any excuse for how we went from being a Premier League club with a puncher's chance of survival to relegated to the third tier inside 15 months.

His legacy will be the Academy and all credit to him there - up to the club now to make the best of that resource. Ultimately though - as I said in my team by team run through earlier, QPR under Fernandes have just amassed a load of debt and are worse off on the pitch which is incredibly damning. Wolves under Morgan don't have the debt so it's not in that league, but we're no further forward on the pitch than when he took over. We finished 5th with a decent young team in 2006/7 before he took over, with a following wind that looks like being about the absolute best we can do this year in 2015/16. Eight years and at best, stasis. That's not really acceptable given the sums of money that have flowed through the club and the opportunities we've had and lost.

I agree with your summary and hope the next owner will " take a risk" and give me the dream of a stable premiership team

The chances of this ending well seem much slimmer than it ending badly. The only cause for optimism is that the new owner won't be Thaksin Shinawat, Vincent Tan, Carlson Yeung.

I think the best we can hope for is to be bought as a feeder club by Barcelona or Real Madrid. They would only have to spent the same as they do buying a squad player.

Lets all just see how it pans out. There has been a lot of doom and there may be good reason to think that way given what has happened to ther clubs and given our history in the 80's but lets just reserve judgement to see who/ what we get and how long it takes. Whatever it cant help the stability of the team so I dont expect any 20 match unbeaten run to come of this. Strange that we tied a number of players to long contracts then announced the owner as leaving.

Perhaps its just that I am an optimist/ glass half full person. I see this club and the City as an opportunity. I do think Wolverhampton has changed a lot in the last 30 years and when I look around there seem to be lots of new builds . Perhaps its because I dont live there I only visit but it is much better than my first visits in distant past.
I wont look at this negatively until it is proven that the new owner is not an upgrade. SM and JM have had a shot at it and did 6/10. Greedy I may be but I want 8 or higher. I want to see this proud club competing at the highest level , growing its own players but capable of signing world class players too. Remember we broke the transfer record with Andy Gray and Steve Daley! 35 years has changed a lot of things but we are still here, still supporting and despite not agreeing with each other all want the best for Wolves.

Worrying news. Lets hope the next owner does not wreck the finances.

The devil in me would love to see the Club sold to someone like the Bhattis, just to see that cheshire cat grin that's all over the faces of those that wanted him out turn to crocodile tears and plastic demonstrations.
'Wolves ay we'.

I agree with your summary and hope the next owner will " take a risk" and give me the dream of a stable premiership team
It's easy to say take a risk - it won't be you getting spat at if it doesn't pay off.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Could this decision simply be Morgan deciding how best to use his time?

Think he was essentially unemployed when he first bought the club, with no Redrow involvement Wolves were his full time hobby for a while, then he progressively got more and more involvement back in Redrow, who are now absolutely flying, so is it just a case that he's decided now he's got better things to do with this time than mess around with a middling football club which attracts loads of grief for zero profit. Not sure at what point he got fully back involved with Redrow but you can see why he'd stick around for the PL years, fanning his ego, and then perhaps a sense of professional pride to sort out the League 1 mess before getting out, now with the club on a relatively even keel and other interests doing particularly well it looks the perfect time for him to get rid.

His aim was to always own a football club, the novelty has worn off and he's realised that he needs to spend a shit load of cash to get us established.

He'd rather not.

Rumour Alert:

Apparently his third marriage is on the rocks and she's after 62 million, bollocks?, probably.

I view Steve Morgan putting Wolves up for sale as a vote of no confidence in himself, Jez Moxey and his Wolves project. He obviously sees little chance of Premier league riches to add value on his investment.

Rumour Alert:

Apparently his third marriage is on the rocks and she's after 62 million, bollocks?, probably.

I met his new missus at the Sheffield Wednesday game, which gives you an idea of how long it's been going on.

I think in one way or another all roads lead to his vision of the Academy / young players taking us forwards. If he has had a fall out with Moxey / Jackett as per Alan Nixon then it's because of this, if it's a fallout with a few idiots in a car park then it's because of this, if it's that he now sees this policy is not going to be successful in at least the short term without further investment then it's because of this.

Cold light of day post.

Over the road, Jeremy Peace put West Brom up for sale, and did not resign his position. Also Randy Lerner put Villa up for sale, and did not resign his position. However, Morgan has put us up for sale and immediately resigned his position. If you are the 100% owner of something, you don't give up the overall control of the asset and agree to keep it financially going in the normal state of affairs.

Secondly, the interregnum sees Jez Moxey assuming the role of joint Chairman and CEO in effect. That is considered spectacularly bad corporate governance and in a listed company would only be allowed to continue on a short-term basis and with clear explanation as to the reasons why.

Those two points lead me to conclude that (hopefully) a new owner is already on the horizon and ready to step in at short notice. In all honesty, I would imagine that he would not resign his position unless due diligence was done and the contracts exchanged with completion close around the corner.

That is what I hope, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back