• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - Fulham 2 the where the **** did that come from verdict thread

Some appalling defending on the goals judiging by the highlights, though that's true of both sides.

Quite surprised to see so many Wolves highlights on there, I'd only seen the score and a few stats on my phone while I was out and I was expecting another Reading/Brighton performance with some set piece magic from looking at those numbers. Actually some decent interplay at times too, nothing electric but at least there were a couple decent bits of link up between a few on there, overlapping runs, etc. Could bode well for the future if that can be built upon.

The move for Fulham's chance just before their goal looked good too, strong run through the middle and nice little one-two to get in on goal, love to see a forward who's comfortable playing with their back to goal so midfielders can surge forward and bounce stuff off him to get in like that, magic.

We should have been at least 5-1 up before their second Mark. We were excellent at times tonight. Zyro was fantastic for me. Graham also brilliant. Actually nobody should be criticised for tonight. A good solid team performance so well done everybody.

Fulham are absolute bilge, but they had to be beaten and we deserved to beat them more soundly than the final scoreline.

Best bit of the night was DW's face after that magnificent Doherty strike. A picture worth a season of pain. Hilarious scenes.

Graham is an intelligent footballer so if he can find an understanding with Zyro (who looks pretty decent so far) we might have something there. Hopefully this is the strt of something better, because it surely couldn't get any worse!!

Good thing now is we have nothing to lose and might as well go for it we're in no danger of going down anymore so it gives us the freedom to play a more positive style.

Good thing now is we have nothing to lose and might as well go for it we're in no danger of going down anymore so it gives us the freedom to play a more positive style.

Bring in a Wells/Washington/Clough and I see no reason why we couldn't mount a bit of a challenge. The team has confidence at the moment despite losing a guaranteed goalscorer. I thought we looked a lot better having two lads - even one - up front, hassling the defence and causing a bit of a headache. Afobe hadn't been doing that for a long time, and it's an aspect of Dicko's game that we thrive on too.

Didn't go to the game and haven't been around tonight, but fair play to Kenny. When I saw the selection this afternoon I thought WTF and thought we'd be playing some weird false number 9 formation. Clearly we didn't and against everyones predictions went for it. Not sure whether the front 2 have any longevity in those positions, but port in a storm and all that.

Play like that and we will be more than alright. Very very impressed by Zyro.

Did he strike you as a 9,10 or Sako style nominal wide player but really given free reign to marraude all over the front line?

Well seeing us attack was something different and much like everyone else i looked at the lineup and thought what the fuck but it worked and it worked well. Fulham only looked dangerous when we dropped too deep and invited them on, other than that we were comfortable i thought.

Ikeme - Did well, think their second took a deflection but it was still close to him. Maybe could have got something on it but i'm probably being harsh.

Iorfa - One mistake for their first goal when he shouldn't have been beaten to it but apart from that he's hard to go by and is a fantastic athlete.

Batth - Did everything he had to do but i don't think he's good enough, either boots it or looks like he's never played before. Kept McCormack and Dembele pretty quiet.

EEL - Looks better than Batth at the minute, strong and does actually try and play from the back even if it's not great. Like his partner kept Dembele and McCormack quiet.

Doherty - Will have to see again where he was for their first but played well apart from that, made a great challenge late on and his goal was outrageous. What a strike! keeps his place on merit i'd say at the minute.

Coady - Played on the right of the diamond and covered where he had to. Playing him their worked tonight, not sure whether would the majority of the time but you never know.

McDonald - Solid, won tackles and looked comfortable on the ball. Much deeper these days but worked tonight.

Edwards - Easy option is to say he was shit but he wasn't Great pass for Zyro's second and nearly scored himself with a header. Great energy and linked the play much better than usual.

Graham - Moved wider than Coady did on the right and always looked a threat. Richards will have nightmares about him tonight, Fulham took him off in the end. Another assist and his crossing from open play is up there with anyone i've seen in a Wolves shirt whether that be right or left foot.

VLP - I thought he played really well, worked hard, linked up well with Graham, Zyro and Edwards. Showed neat touches and looked confident but his finishing was back to being awful, maybe he needs a Brighton shirt under his Wolves one. Thought he had scored when he hit the post with a great effort.

Zyro - Looks like a striker. Intelligent runs, strong not rapid but quick enough and can obviously finish. Should have had a first half hat-trick but missed a very good chance. Always looking to link the play or in spaces on the shoulder looking to get in behind. Promising home debut.

Subs

Henry, Byrne and ALF. Didn't really have enough time to do anything, Henry had a couple of poor touches.

I thought we deserved to win tonight and that's a good thing to say. We were on top for most of the game i thought until we decided to drop too deep and Fulham then looked dangerous. We kept Dembele and McCormack quiet even though the latter scored, it was a hit from distance that we didn't close down well enough and on another day Ikeme might have saved. Much better tonight and hopefully a sign we have turned a corner and will look to attack and cause others problems rather than let them cause us problems.

Great win.

Still seven points off the playoffs, mind, after four straight wins. (What was the gap before the Reading game? Nine?) We're going to need some luck from the teams above us for us to catch up, but we're in a much better position than I thought we'd have any right to be after the last couple of weeks - still an outside chance of the playoffs, and, importantly, our goal difference is getting to parity with the teams around us as well. The next four fixtures are all ones we should be winning if we want to seriously think we have a chance, and if we win three of the four we'll be in the bizarre and unexpected situation of being ahead of where we were last season after the same number of games, despite everything. And we'll need those points, because the second half of Feb through to mid-March is going to see the better teams coming up against us in relatively quick succession and we're going to know by Easter what our chances are.

O Hara lived up to his cunt status tonight. If he had caught Graham with that cowardly kick out he would have walked for sure. Graham took the piss all night, player of the season already.

Fulham were probably the team to try to go more expansive against.

Score well, but concede more - maybe Kenny is cuter than we think and will try different tactics depending on who we are playing.

Still need more organisation at the back - tonight could have been easier to listen to if we hadn't given away goals we didn't need to

That is fair enough, especially away from home. At home we needed a positive display, a positive result, something that showed our ability to attack as it has been pretty bloody insipid for most games. 17 shots at goal and their keeper made three or 4 good saves so that is positive. Trying to back that up with areas to improve- I think Williamson organisation stops the first and maybe the second through better and quicker closing down. I am not going to fault Ikeme even though it was from distance! Good pace from Zyro and that will do his confidence no end of good.

Back