• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Tottenham: Verdict Thread

Fitness has improved no doubt…yes, they are out on their feet at the end of the game but they run until the final whistle. Defence is more stable, still prone to conceding soft goals but I didn’t feel that we were under any real pressure from about 10 minutes. We have nullified some of the best forwards in the Premier League in recent weeks.

That said…yesterday, for 90 minutes, it was all about our weaknesses. Plenty of good build up play followed by poor decision making in the final third. I think everyone in the ground will have been getting ready for either the plucky defeat or lucky win discussion depending on who you support. Then quality took over and won the game.

I see there has been some debate about where Sarabia’s goal stands in relation to Neves various strikes…but it was an unbelievable piece of control and shot. There was so many elements of that goal that are worthy of praise. Same for the winner, Lemina sees an opportunity to win the ball, gets a foul. Doyle sees the quick free kick is on. The pass to Lemina is perfectly timed. The goal is wonderful. Quality.

After the first few weeks of the season I was ready to quit. There was a feeling of malaise that hung over the club. The summer of discontent cast a shadow. I wanted GON to be a success but it felt like wishful thinking than anything likely. What we have seen is a group of players evolve into a hard working, good to watch, solid Premier League team. It probably will be mid table at best this season but that’s fine for now.

I think I would be looking to a RWB and a winger for the January window. We’ve only really got Neto, Bellegarde was OK yesterday but is clearly being asked to play a position he isn’t entirely comfortable with.
If we are going to play this style and formation, particularly against sides who sit high then we have to replace Semedo, he's where attacks go to die. RAN offers more, but his final ball isn't much better.

If we are going to play this style and formation, particularly against sides who sit high then we have to replace Semedo, he's where attacks go to die. RAN offers more, but his final ball isn't much better.

Completely agree. He (Semedo) was often the outlet yesterday as he was in space due to that high line. You almost want NunoDohertyMax, but I’m not sure who that is who would be in our price range.

Same as Lopetegui last season. I would say the football was dire on the whole (that’s not me slighting him) but that’s just how you set up a firefighting team when you need to start getting results quickly.
I wouldn't say we were bad to watch under Lopetegui, not at home anyway. He had a way below par Neto (due to fitness), a 92 year old Costa and Raul who last scored a PL goal when Boris Johnson was Prime Minister to work with.

O'Neil's Bournemouth at Molineux last season were horrendous but I think we can see now that isn't how he actually wants to play (it was a fear of mine when he took over, I didn't want the bastard son of Tony Pulis and Alex McLeish here).

I have watched the extended highlights so many times i may have worn the tape out 😚
Sarabias goal was pure art, the pull down to himself was brilliant but the final shot with the outside of his boot was just astonishing.
Cunha will be a monster when his gets his sights set properly, and the whole team effort and spirit is a credit to GON.
Bellegarde has so much more to offer, Doyle has a football brain, and Toti just gets better and will be superb cover for lemina if Bueno II comes good.
It is just so much more exciting to watch after so much horseshoe of doom crap over the last years.
Like Gon or hate him, after a summer of chaos credit has to be given to Gon for what he has produced in what? 100 days?
He has made a team of fighters out of this squad, brought the fans back onside, and turned this club back into the family that Nuno made it.
I'll have drink now, 😎

Really impressed yesterday. To beat both City & Spurs at home, so close together, playing 2 completely different styles of football is seriously impressive. O'Neil said when he came in that he wants us to be able to 'do everything' and that's certainly what we're seeing at the moment. We're maybe a bit short in a few positions and wanting for a bit of consistency but I'm very happy with what he's been able to build so far. It's great to have such a likeable group again as well, I was made up for Lemina at the end yesterday, if anyone deserved that it was him.

I thought that the last 20 minutes we'd gone a bit predictable and too easy to defend but Sarabia came on and added that little sprinkling of magic that we'd lacked in normal time. He's got that in his locker, hopefully this acts as a springboard for him to really push on and make a success of his time here. It'd be such a shame if we couldn't get the best out of him because he's such a good player.

The shape was perfect yesterday and I think a few teams will look at what O'Neil did to Ange yesterday and try to copy it, they've got Villa and City coming up after the break so I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose 4 on the bounce now. We were a little vulnerable to the ball over the top into Son but apart from that it was pretty much perfect tactically.

Haven't read through the whole thread yet so don't know if his performance has already been highlighted but I thought Toti Gomes was fantastic up against Porro & Kulusevski.

Really impressed yesterday. To beat both City & Spurs at home, so close together, playing 2 completely different styles of football is seriously impressive. O'Neil said when he came in that he wants us to be able to 'do everything' and that's certainly what we're seeing at the moment. We're maybe a bit short in a few positions and wanting for a bit of consistency but I'm very happy with what he's been able to build so far. It's great to have such a likeable group again as well, I was made up for Lemina at the end yesterday, if anyone deserved that it was him.

I thought that the last 20 minutes we'd gone a bit predictable and too easy to defend but Sarabia came on and added that little sprinkling of magic that we'd lacked in normal time. He's got that in his locker, hopefully this acts as a springboard for him to really push on and make a success of his time here. It'd be such a shame if we couldn't get the best out of him because he's such a good player.

The shape was perfect yesterday and I think a few teams will look at what O'Neil did to Ange yesterday and try to copy it, they've got Villa and City coming up after the break so I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose 4 on the bounce now. We were a little vulnerable to the ball over the top into Son but apart from that it was pretty much perfect tactically.

Haven't read through the whole thread yet so don't know if his performance has already been highlighted but I thought Toti Gomes was fantastic up against Porro & Kulusevski.
I didn't see the City game live but from what I've seen since it looks like GoN is trying to go full Klopp Gegenpress at the moment but in a 3-4-3/ 3-5-2.

It's certainly different.

I think to really unlock this team we need to find a way to play 4 atb.

Semedo would be fine as a RB and Cunha would be unreal playing off a striker.

I reckon a decent CB would be easier to find than a decent RWB.

I have watched the extended highlights so many times i may have worn the tape out 😚
Sarabias goal was pure art, the pull down to himself was brilliant but the final shot with the outside of his boot was just astonishing.
Cunha will be a monster when his gets his sights set properly, and the whole team effort and spirit is a credit to GON.
Bellegarde has so much more to offer, Doyle has a football brain, and Toti just gets better and will be superb cover for lemina if Bueno II comes good.
It is just so much more exciting to watch after so much horseshoe of doom crap over the last years.
Like Gon or hate him, after a summer of chaos credit has to be given to Gon for what he has produced in what? 100 days?
He has made a team of fighters out of this squad, brought the fans back onside, and turned this club back into the family that Nuno made it.
I'll have drink now, 😎
Tape?

I think to really unlock this team we need to find a way to play 4 atb.

Semedo would be fine as a RB and Cunha would be unreal playing off a striker.

I reckon a decent CB would be easier to find than a decent RWB.
We'd need 2 CB's as a minimum, a LB and a STR.

Or we could buy a RWB.

I have an inkling of what is easier.

Four at the back would necessitate two new CHs. It’s no coincidence that Kilman barely gets a mention in verdict threads now and it allows Dawson to do a job on the opposition’s main forward. The extra man brings out the best in them and I’m certain it would be easier and cheaper to find a RWB to improve things than two CHs that will give us the solidity we currently have.

Laughed at the Brennan Johnson interview at the end of MOTM 'We had chances to kill them off but couldn't' Apart from the one Sar tipped over just before we equalised what great chances were there Brennan ?
He had a decent chance where he tried to lob Sa but got it wrong. That's about it.

Back