• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Southampton: Verdict Thread

Lads, a bit of perspective on Traore.

When we say rancid - I think of Doherty at LB. I think Dave Edwards at no. 10. That's proper fucking rancid.

Traore was off the boil, below par. For a few mins. Then he had a couple of moments of brilliance.

We are doing a disservice to him calling him rancid. We've suffered enough rancid performances over the years. Traore was in no way rancid.
[emoji3516]

The attention he draws is probably what allows Cav to drift into the space he did. Great hit for his goal too.

And vice versa. The game changed when Cav came on as Soton were terrified of both players getting the ball.

I still maintain Traore was shocking before Cav came on but I do agree with Fred he is a game changer and a fantastic sub right now.

Traore had direct influence in both goals that we scored

Before he came on we didn't really look like scoring

I really look forward to seeing how much he's improved under Nuno this time next year - he's still only 22

Traore had direct influence in both goals that we scored

Before he came on we didn't really look like scoring

I really look forward to seeing how much he's improved under Nuno this time next year - he's still only 22

Exactly so - as Cyber says, Nuno may never do anything better than he has done with Connor Coady. but let's give Adama a year of Nuno's coaching and see what sort of player we have on our hands...

Not necessarily the right thread for this, but how has Dendoncker looked when he has played? Always confused by the amount of people livid about him not starting or being on the bench. Can't only imagine it's the distorted Fifa/footy man crowd as how have they seen him enough to warrant the love he seems to have.

I thought he looked like a very classy footballer in the game against leicester, just a bit rusty. Defended well and decent in the air. He will have to be patient due to the form of Bennett though

Not necessarily the right thread for this, but how has Dendoncker looked when he has played? Always confused by the amount of people livid about him not starting or being on the bench. Can't only imagine it's the distorted Fifa/footy man crowd as how have they seen him enough to warrant the love he seems to have.

On Tuesday, apart from a couple of minor clangers early on, I thought he looked very good, ok in the air, decent positioning and tackling and very calm, good on the ball too

Never felt Saints would win and can only remember one save of any more by Rui. We were flat and the only question was could we take one of the infrequent chances we created. Seemed the game was drifting to 0-0 then our subs changed the game. Traore was poor when he first came on but his direct running and strength led to the first goal. Currently you have to accept that he is poor for large parts of his game but when things click he makes things happen and changes a game. An sub only for now but hopefully Nuno will coach more consistency into him and he becomes the star he could be.

Looks like a classy Ryan Bennett who can pass with both feet. I just think Bennett is doing so well there's no room for him.

I would guess Saiss is keeping Dendoncker off the bench at the moment as he knows the system better for both midfield and defensive cover. I'm sure at some point that will change.

On Traore, he's such an odd footballer which is why he causes such debate but it's hard to argue against his contribution this season, he's pretty much the perfect impact sub right now. I would say in home games where we expect to win we could get away with starting him but not in the tougher games or away from home.

Yeah, he is just 22 and Nuno need to work with him, but consistency usually comes with age and playing games..but who can really control a football at his pace :)

I would guess Saiss is keeping Dendoncker off the bench at the moment as he knows the system better for both midfield and defensive cover. I'm sure at some point that will change.

On Traore, he's such an odd footballer which is why he causes such debate but it's hard to argue against his contribution this season, he's pretty much the perfect impact sub right now. I would say in home games where we expect to win we could get away with starting him but not in the tougher games or away from home.

Think it might be Saiss place that is under threat from Dendoncker, similar style players imo, both can play CB or CM which is very useful on the bench

Southampton did a job on us and deserve credit. After the opening exchanges it seemed nothing we tried worked as they stopped us from playing our usual attractive, attacking football. It felt like one of those days where a 0-0 would suffice.

Traore's introduction (more down to Costa's knock than tactical) helped liven us up a bit then along comes Cav. Wow! Its been a wait but worth the wait! What an introduction to the Premier League! Great build up play and yet again, Jimenez 's unselfish nature played a big part and a fantastic finish.

After that we looked more like ourselves and great to see Jonny grab his first too. Holding onto a lead in the 89th minute and your full back is in that position looking to score.

I thought Patricio, though he wasn't greatly tested, was imperious once again in dealing with what was thrown at him, this guy is on another level to any keeper I've seen down here.

Boly, Coady and Bennett rock solid in delivering another clean sheet. Some defence they have created - Coady and Bennett in the Prem!

Jimenez was superb again, I love this guy. Its important not to measure his contribution solely in goals. He's about so much more than that with his passion, enthusiasm, never give up attitude and is unselfish too as seen with a couple of our recent goals.

Not our best performance of the season but we still got 3 points, 2 goals and a clean sheet. 10 points from 12 looks good. This team is the real deal.

I watched Football Focus last night, it was at Molineux, an interesting show if you haven't seen it yet.

My Man of the match was Cav even though he was only on for the last quarter. He literally changed the game for us and completely revitalised our attacking play. Welcome back son

Southampton did a job on us and deserve credit. After the opening exchanges it seemed nothing we tried worked as they stopped us from playing our usual attractive, attacking football. It felt like one of those days where a 0-0 would suffice.

Traore's introduction (more down to Costa's knock than tactical) helped liven us up a bit then along comes Cav. Wow! Its been a wait but worth the wait! What an introduction to the Premier League! Great build up play and yet again, Jimenez 's unselfish nature played a big part and a fantastic finish.

After that we looked more like ourselves and great to see Jonny grab his first too. Holding onto a lead in the 89th minute and your full back is in that position looking to score.

I thought Patricio, though he wasn't greatly tested, was imperious once again in dealing with what was thrown at him, this guy is on another level to any keeper I've seen down here.

Boly, Coady and Bennett rock solid in delivering another clean sheet. Some defence they have created - Coady and Bennett in the Prem!

Jimenez was superb again, I love this guy. Its important not to measure his contribution solely in goals. He's about so much more than that with his passion, enthusiasm, never give up attitude and is unselfish too as seen with a couple of our recent goals.

Not our best performance of the season but we still got 3 points, 2 goals and a clean sheet. 10 points from 12 looks good. This team is the real deal.

I watched Football Focus last night, it was at Molineux, an interesting show if you haven't seen it yet.

My Man of the match was Cav even though he was only on for the last quarter. He literally changed the game for us and completely revitalised our attacking play. Welcome back son

Agree with most if not all of that

Coaching is the key, if you jumped in a time machine then told some fans a few years back that Conor Coady would be a vital part of our promotion winning team and soon to be called up for England you would have probably killed them from the laughter. Nuno knows how to get the best out of players, if he can work only a small amount of his magic on Adama then we will have a hell of a player on our hands. From my perspective he has already been better than I expected and you can see a small amount of restraint from him now hes not running around like a headless chicken already so its progress.

I wouldn't want him starting at the moment due to the fact his positional sense is very erratic and might cause us some problems the other way but as an impact sub he has each time he has come on helped us. For now thats more than enough for me, he needs to develop the rest of his game to start.

This is great, I come on to read reports on a game I'd missed and instead I get post after post of willy waving drivel about Traore... Thanks for that. And grow the $#@! up.

Get used to it chap, this forum has some great contributers with excellent perceptions and knowledge of the game. But the bun fights seem to flare up in a millisecond. Seems people were happier when we were crap because they had something to moan about.

Love you Cav

Fuck you Attwell

Moutinho Motm

Atwell really is a cheating cunt.

Good to see Cav back.

We struggled with pace and direct running through the middle.

We were certainly nowhere near our best, Attwell as usual at his fucking worst !!!
how can he let 3 yellow card tackles by the same player go unpunished in the first 20 minutes ????

:icon_lol:
I took kennys sage advice and avoided finding out who the ref was for the match! All is now made clear.

Based on snippets of radio comms, and motd, backed up by reports here, really pleased Cav is back in the matchday squad. Really believe he can be a significant player in the PL. So much ability and workrate. Rotating the front 3 between Cav, Jota, Costa, traore and Jiminez should be good enough for this season. Lots of competition.

We're bang on organisationally. Don't think anyone else has named an unchanged first 11 for all games so far this season.

Defensively we're looking really good too. We've only conceded 6 goals so far. Rui is giving our defence serious organisation. Next 3 games (palace away, watford home, brighton away) are all games we can get something from. Ridiculously we could get to 10 games in and have only lost 1 game. We've only conceded once in our last 4 league games.

On Traore, he's as divisive as Sako when he joined. Lets all hope he develops with the coaching he's getting, in the same way Doc, Coady, Bennett and others benefited.

Just watched the highlights back and they do show us in a positive light and make us look more dominant than we were. Reality is this was a very close game which we edged on a couple of moments of quality (from surprising sources too if you know my views on Traore and Doherty).

For me though that was a pleasing thing. We didn't play that well but won. We weren't bad definitely not worse than Southampton, but it was an even game where a fair result would probably have been the draw. Nobody really stuck out either for most of the game, we got on with it, remained positive and still late in the game were always looking to score which is why we had players like Jonny in the position he found himself in because we kept trying to play. At no point did our heads drop.

Soton were ok I thought. They showed promising signs but when it came to a goal threat they were lacking. They have nobody with the quality or confidence to shoot from distance and were always looking to get in it to Austin and Ings from close range which our defence did well to stop. Close them with purpose and Soton have no idea what to do with the ball, very umambitious team and their subs added nothing. Gabbiadini was anonymous and I actually forgot he played until I read the match report after.

So yes I am very happy with the result. Hard to choose a MOTM as nobody stuck out but the (relatively) poor performance combined with 3 points makes it a pleasing thing. No real worries, just a few nit-picky things like Patricio putting himself in trouble when he parries the ball out into dangerous areas instead of holding onto it or properly pushing it away but that may be a one-off thing so I'm not going to worry about it too much as I have not seen him do that in the other games. Traore was very poor when he first came on, he reminds me a lot of Sako but in an exaggerated fashion. He has moments where he is amazing, and then moments where he gets the complete basics wrong. Wasteful in possession a lot but he has those moments of genuine quality that can be the decisive impact on the game like it was today. I'm still not a fan but I can see that others do see the quality in him as there is certainly something there it is just question of how often we get that. I still don't see his use as early in the game as he came on, he's a great impact player for last 15/20 mins which is the period he started to be more effective during. Happy for Cav to come back and score and am now looking forward to next week. Nice to meet up with some of you from the forum again also.

Really impressed with us yesterday but in a different way to how I have been before. We just don't panic when the opposition are on top. We just sit back, stay patient and trust in our game plan.

After watching years of defensive catastrophe after defensive catastrophe, a performance like that is just as welcome as thrashing someone 4-0 for me.

I think that while we played quite poorly all this about losing this on another day blah blah is not right. The Premier league has some very average teams in it with very average managers and tactics. We have nothing to fear. Traore is some strange footballer but I love him.
On another point why do we not leave someone up the pitch while defending corners?
Great to see Cav back and I'm sorry but Jota needs a rest he was quite poor. Doc was good wasn't he? lol

Back