• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - 2 Liverpool: The Verdict.

Simple facts.

We are a good side.

Liverpool are a fabulous side.

I think they might just win it this year. I loved watching the patterns that City wove, but I thoroughly was impressed by Liverpool tonight.

Final fact - neither of them battered us. We belong here.

I could see some progress. More heads up looking where to move the ball. Good runs too. Yes he missed a good chance, but so did others.

Nice bit of tackling back in front of me too. Still not quite right for us, but coming along. Would have looked to see him up against that nob Milner more.

He did alright to be fair, moved the ball well and a couple of good runs - but had the same problem Jiminez and Cav had, in that their defence is excellent - Van dijk is a beast.

Traore had a decent first half and a couple of really good moments in the second half, I was agreeing completely with Deutsch just an hour before that he’ll never be a ‘footballer’ but he did OK. One driving run and wide pass in the second half is exactly what we need from him, that was quality play. Boly did drop a few bollocks but was immense in most challenges and he won’t be up against Salah every week.

No mention of Doherty yet who looked like he’d been possessed by Dani Alves in the first half? He was brilliant. Faded on the second half but man that first half. Scenes.

I thought Traore did pretty well tonight. Caused them some issues. And we ALL know I am not his biggest fan. To call him a clown tonight is frankly churlish.

As I said earlier he was a solid 7 tonight so no complaints

Doherty was magnificent.

I am delighted to be so wrong there as well.

Traore had a decent first half and a couple of really good moments in the second half, I was agreeing completely with Deutsch just an hour before that he’ll never be a ‘footballer’ but he did OK. One driving run and wide pass in the second half is exactly what we need from him, that was quality play. Boly did drop a few bollocks but was immense in most challenges and he won’t be up against Salah every week.

No mention of Doherty yet who looked like he’d been possessed by Dani Alves in the first half? He was brilliant. Faded on the second half but man that first half. Scenes.

Considering we were all worried he would ever have a decent game in this league he has done really well so far. Defended well tonight too

We played well and gave a team that will challenge for the title a decent game. Spoke to a couple of their fans on the train and they were very relieved to get the second goal. If Salah and VD stay fit they’ll run City very close

Hi all,

Liverpool fan here. Just wanted to come on to say you've got a brilliant side developing there.

If you get a decent goalscorer then there's no reason why you can't be fighting for top 5/6. Right now I'd consider you easily scrapping among United and Everton. Which is ridiculous considering it's your first season back.

Traore is a talent, causes so many problems, could maybe learn to hold it up a bit and wait for the support but he's not the type of player anyone wants to face. Think that's the first time I've seen Van Dijk have to fully sprint, normally cruises through games.

In the second half I think we managed to keep posession well enough to take the sting out of the game and limit the counters. In the end it's just some nice play and our new found ability to see out narrow wins that's got us the points.

As long as the investment continues to be smart and you stick with Nuno then you've got some exciting times coming.

Best of luck for the rest of the season lads.

. Doherty, Coady and Bennett superb I thought.

No mention of Doherty? Are you sure. Or is this another example of regular posters only bothering to read and reply to comments from their mates I wonder....

Liverpool are the best team we have faced this season, the movement and pressing was superb. The attacking movement to overload us in multiple areas at the same time was superb, great to watch as a neutral, dreadful to watch as an opposition fan!

Some quick points before my curry arrives:

Motm tie between doc and Saiss
Neves looks like he is questioning himself
Traore was fairly good, we lost a little impetus when we took him off
Liverpool should win the league

Surprised this is the first mention of Doc!

Liverpool are the best team we have faced this season, the movement and pressing was superb. The attacking movement to overload us in multiple areas at the same time was superb, great to watch as a neutral, dreadful to watch as an opposition fan!

Some quick points before my curry arrives:

Motm tie between doc and Saiss
Neves looks like he is questioning himself
Traore was fairly good, we lost a little impetus when we took him off
Liverpool should win the league

I'm may be Adama's biggest defender, but IMO the loss of impetus was down to taking off Moutinho.

Cav was very good in Adama's stead and should be pushing for a start against Fulham.

Best side we have faced this season, their attacking play was superb and Salah is an amazing player but no disgrace in our play either and with better finishing we could have got something. I thought it was one of Traore's better games (low bar I know) and was surprised when he was taken off and Doc is looking far better these days

Liverpool did to us tonight what Real Madrid did to them in the Champions League final imo.

Had a good go but lapses of concentration and suckerpunched by a team just that bit better.

Thought Traore was handy in the first half and probably his best display for us. Will need to see the second goal but looks like Coady lost him. Saiss was busy and made a claim to stay in, Doc good too, particularly first half. No disgrace that Boly got rinsed by Salah, he'll make better defenders look worse.

VVD is a monster. If he continues he could go down as a PL great. He was sensational. I've never really 'got' Firmimo but thought he was brilliant, in a football manager world I'd love him here.

Let's just say if they need three points on the last day for the title we'll be about 6th on the list of teams they wouldn't fancy playing. Not bad for a club grinding out a 0-0 draw against MK Dons a year or three back.

The simple comment that we are a good team and they are a great team says it all. I thought we did really well but - if Fosun are serious - it shows how far there is to go. The difference in the penalty areas was about £100m of talent and £500k a week in wages at today's prices. Are Fosun prepared to spend that? There was a nice graphic on one game on Sky showing average cost per player of PL squads. Wolves were 5th bottom so we are doing well, but to move from 7th/10th to even 3rd/4th is going to take a lot of money. But I was proud last night. Five years ago we were losing 0-2 at home to MK Dons: now we are losing by the same score to one of the very best teams in Europe

We were beaten by the better team & there’s no shame in that. Having seen both Man City and Liverpool at Molineux now, I would pick Liverpool as the better side & favourites for the title. Their squad is a tad weaker overall, so if injuries are kind to them (and let’s remember they were missing TAA & Gomez yesterday) then they’ll have a real chance. We put up a good fight but it always felt like Liverpool were in control and had a few more gears to move through if required.

Neves at fault for the first goal. Doesn’t track Fabinho. I felt Patricio could have come to claim the big looping cross for their second - he stayed on his line, we rushed the clearance and the next thing you know it’s 2-0. Sloppy from us for both, really.

On to Fulham.

Liverpool were good so fair play to them

However, would they cope without Salah as well as Man City have coped without KdB?

While I never enjoy us losing, have to say not too disappointed, decent performance against the best side in the league currently.
Trying not to be negative but thinking about the future, we are going to have to be quite tough, with not getting too attached to players, need to upgrade in quite a few areas, especially up front but it will take at least 3 transfer windows imo, which is fine, I prefer evolution to revolution (see Fulham) in the meantime I'm just gunna enjoy the ride.

No shame in that whatsoever. Very unfortunate to go in behind at HT and we never let the game run away from us. They are a seriously good team and we gave them a seriously good game.

Don't think I'll ever see Doherty play better than he did first half, even pinged a couple of tremendous cross field passes. Where did that come from?!

Disappointing on both goals but this is what happens when you switch off for a split second against players of this quality.

Neves wasn't as bad as is being made out, defensively he did a really good job (apart from the goal!). But his use of the ball isn't quite there at the moment.

Moutinho didn't work for me in that role, tried hard but didn't influence the game in any meaningful way.

Salah and van Dijk are both ridiculous, the movement of the former is even better than Aguero. The other is just a rock.

Jimenez was also superb in the first half, everything stuck to him and he took up so many good positions.

Traore...sorry, he's just not for me. He was *better* last night but it's really not saying much. His awareness is so bad and he never looks like scoring.

Rui still can't kick and it can't be excused.

MGW and Saiss had our best two chances, you never know if one of them had gone in.

Really enjoyed it as a game of football, on to Boxing Day.

Back