• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

Yet he may become a John Terry.

He is no threat at attacking corners, too slow, clumsy and surprisingly easy to nudge off the ball. If Stearman was making the ricks that Batth does on a consistent basis, he'd be getting slaughtered on here

He is no threat at attacking corners, too slow, clumsy and surprisingly easy to nudge off the ball. If Stearman was making the ricks that Batth does on a consistent basis, he'd be getting slaughtered on here
I think he has improved a lot but I feel particularly at home when we look to drive forward seeking a goal we require a better passer of the ball from central defensive positions. I t would be nice to have that option on the bench.

I think that's harsh Darlo. I thinkwhen he's paired with pace either side of him (Stears, Iorfa) he does his job well, he's limited but anything in front of him he'll go and win and with pace either side his confidence seems lifted so he can go and make tackles or win headers. When Doherty is by his side he struggles as there is just no pace there and it exposes all of Batth's weaknesses. We would have to replace him if we went up I think but at this level I think he's a good solid defender.

I think he has improved a lot but I feel particularly at home when we look to drive forward seeking a goal we require a better passer of the ball from central defensive positions. I t would be nice to have that option on the bench.

I get what you mean... Maybe one of these kids, Hause, Iorfa or Ebanks-Landel will develop into such a player

I get what you mean... Maybe one of these kids, Hause, Iorfa or Ebanks-Landel will develop into such a player

They are certainly the future, all with pace, strength and Iorfa in particular, ability on the ball.

I think that's harsh Darlo. I thinkwhen he's paired with pace either side of him (Stears, Iorfa) he does his job well, he's limited but anything in front of him he'll go and win and with pace either side his confidence seems lifted so he can go and make tackles or win headers. When Doherty is by his side he struggles as there is just no pace there and it exposes all of Batth's weaknesses. We would have to replace him if we went up I think but at this level I think he's a good solid defender.

Again, I understand what you're saying. Yes, maybe having a non defending right back next to him is affecting his performances but it needs to be addressed.
I agree that he is probably at his level and we'll need to upgrade should we go up but he seems to be a player that the majority of fans can't or won't criticise. No player should be immune to criticism when warranted but also they should get credit where it is due

Its noticeable that when Evans drops into a defensive line to collect the ball how poor his forward passing options are. Sometimes the flank players have to show short or have more movement about them. Edwards could help link the play if he didn't have a propensity to run forward of the ball at every opportunity.
How much of this is players playing to instruction, who knows, the question is never asked.

I agree. It isn't about new players, he isn't getting anything like the best out of his existing squad.

NWW you will not get consistantly good performances out of a team who the majority have no fear of being dropped becvause there is nobody else to play

NWW you will not get consistantly good performances out of a team who the majority have no fear of being dropped becvause there is nobody else to play

Some of us see this as a failure of the pattern of play rather than the individual player.

My feeling remains that these are professionally contracted footballers and that if they need "fear" of being dropped in order to perform then their place in the team needs to be evaluated anyway.

I understand the merits of cooperative competition but I also think far too much is made of that sort thing in English football in general. As I've said before.

Anyway, based on what I've seen I agree that Batth escapes criticism where others would not.

The manager has openly said more than once that he doesn't want a squad of more than 18-20 senior players. His choice.

The manager has openly said more than once that he doesn't want a squad of more than 18-20 senior players. His choice.

If he did and I do not doubt what you say, then that really worries me.

If we ony have 20 senior players what happens when we have say three injured and a suspension ?

The bench if full of kids, the first teams picks itself because there is nobody left and the manager has no potions - disaster.

Blimey - just like Sat no options

Poor management IMO

Equally though if you sign too many senior players you end up with guys twiddling their thumbs and not even making the 18 on a weekly basis, which is bad for morale and just unsustainable. Players want to play.

To be fair, it's worth pointing out here that putting together a squad of ~20 senior players under the budgetary constraints that were in place when he arrived has been one of Jackett's defining successes so far as Wolves manager. He's created a very young and very cheap first team on a relatively tiny budget, and it in turn was the best team that the third division of English football has ever seen. (Yes, I know, damning with faint praise, but still.) We had a bloated team for quite a long time, and when Doyle leaves at the end of the season - if, indeed, he doesn't leave soon on loan, and we know Sigurdarson and Clarke aren't coming back either - we'll still have a lean, young squad on what can't be particularly large weekly wages relative to the club's revenue.

There is a point that we're maybe a player short in the number 10 role (as has been discussed to death), but something else to consider I suppose is that we saw a mass promotion of youth players to the senior team over the last 18 months. Good to see for the fans, great for the lads involved, etc. etc., but it does mean that we perhaps haven't got the depth that other teams with squads of ~20 players have. Considering the positional flexibility of players like Rowe, Ricketts, EEL, Hause, Iorfa, RVLP... well, we're probably OK if we get two or three injuries, right? Plus there are Saville and McAlinden on loan if we need them. But we don't really have that many youth players yet left who are at the right point in their development to step up to the first team if needed, and that could bite us if we suffer a real injury crisis. But, well, that's unlikely right? I think we'll be OK.

I don't think we need more players in the squad but obviously should always be looking to improve. I'm sure the only reason Jacobs is still around is that he may be needed to cover injuries (although we'd need the entire front 6 to drop with Ebola before he'd get a game anyway). Point is, if we sign someone we'll let someone out either on loan or permanent - see Afobe/clarke

Equally though if you sign too many senior players you end up with guys twiddling their thumbs and not even making the 18 on a weekly basis, which is bad for morale and just unsustainable. Players want to play.

You are not taking into account injuries or suspensions. I dont want 25 senoir players but IMO less than 22 is foolish because there is little competition for places

The fact that because there are no other forwards in the club we have 3 defenders on the bench for a home game - madness

This proves that the squad is not big enough

I am happy if the squad is a quality 18-20 but I fear at present we are a little short of the required quality in the current squad hence why injuries impact on us. We do not have level cover for Macdonald or Sako of equal quality or damn close. Afobe is a step in the right direction but dont kid ourselves this is not a premier league squad . We are still missing a quality number 10. Thats 4 holes already

Back