• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

The fact that because there are no other forwards in the club we have 3 defenders on the bench for a home game - madness

This proves that the squad is not big enough

I think we would see Reid or Keita on the bench if Dicko or Afobe were unavailable. RVP can also be used as a forward. Take into account that we only usually play 1 up front and the bench makes sense to me.

You are not taking into account injuries or suspensions. I dont want 25 senoir players but IMO less than 22 is foolish because there is little competition for places

No, I was certainly taking injuries and suspensions into account.

McDonald had those two screamers in one game - that may have been even last season thinking about it. Since then he doesn't seem to have tried it much.

We have plenty of shots that go high wide and Gyepes. We don't generally trouble the keeper with our long range efforts though.

I think that is fine when we have the right level of quality.....we are at least two short maybe more

I don't think this is unreasonable. Kenny wants a core 18-20. You think upgrading at least 2 of those core players is the right way to go. I for one agree. But, my only issue is how we upgrade. We could be talking a considerable investment to make those two upgrades of the core 18-20 (I am assuming you are thinking Edwards upgrade (£4m+ to be sure the player is the upgrade) and someone in centre mid to step up from what McDonald, Evans and Price can offer?). It would be great to get that, but we didn't. Hopefully, something in the loan market might help us out.

I think we would see Reid or Keita on the bench if Dicko or Afobe were unavailable. RVP can also be used as a forward. Take into account that we only usually play 1 up front and the bench makes sense to me.

Saturday's game where we were trying to score a winning goal or an equaliser in the second half and what was on the bench ? 7 players but only 2 to offer any threat

We only have two senior out and out strikers at the club. How many other professional clubs have so few ? I guess nobody

So obviously we are right to have only two strikers and the other 91 clubs are wrong to have more ???

Well, technically Doyle is still with us, but I have more chance of getting a game than he does! I would prefer 3 frontline strikers in the squad, but 3 involving Leon Clarke isn't probably a great improvement on 2 without at this level. Again it looks like somewhere that is open for a summer address?

It's not feasible to have 3 frontline strikers as one is never going to play.

Unless you go to 4-4-2, which we just cannot do with the current midfield options as we would get utterly overrun

Why do we never have a midfield capable of playing 4-4-2?

A fantastic goal and I was there to see it break the net and hug some stranger with delight

Easy to be clever......

I still stick with we don't shoot outside the box...one exception to the rule....etc

I was there as well, might've been me you hugged. :bananasex:

I was also there when Dave Edwards scored from outside the box vs Blackburn...

McDonald had those two screamers in one game - that may have been even last season thinking about it. Since then he doesn't seem to have tried it much.

Boro at home? One of them just clipped the post and would've been an amazing goal.

toonvectors-2758-940.jpg

Why do we never have a midfield capable of playing 4-4-2?

We clearly did have that under Mick at this level, and Jones as well (at silly cost and no long term thought).

Still very early days to judge Jackett. I don't think he especially wants to play 4-4-2. The club have said before that they are trying to play the same way at all levels from the very earliest age groups up. That way is not 4-4-2. I wish we wouldn't have a clamour for it quite so often because it isn't especially sustainable.

It certainly seems that when Kenny changes things during games it doesn't really work, whether that's 4-4-2 or some other system. Maybe it's something that needs more work

It should always be an option. If we don't have the players to change our tactics, there is something wrong.

Not really. Mourinho, Ancelotti and Guardiola never play 4-4-2 and don't buy the players too either. It's the manager's philosophy and implementation which his players reflect.

Why should we have players capable of playing a system they are unlikely to use?

Back