• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

I agree but to see our players look so clueless in the formation at the weekend, even if only briefly, was rather disconcerting.

I agree but to see our players look so clueless in the formation at the weekend, even if only briefly, was rather disconcerting.

They looked no more clueless than they had for the previous 65 mins.

Now that one is clearly bad management and playing a set of players that are uncomfortable doing so is daft.

It certainly seems that when Kenny changes things during games it doesn't really work, whether that's 4-4-2 or some other system. Maybe it's something that needs more work

He's had it work for him a few times. Bradford away last season when he made an early switch after we went 1-0 down, also this season at Reading pushing Evans further forward in the second half was a good one. It's testament to how generally good the results have been that we haven't very often had to change things around in the middle of games.

As I said on the verdict thread, when we switched on Saturday it looked like we'd put no practice into it at all, no-one knew what they were supposed to be doing. If he wanted to go two up top then he had to be bringing Price on at the same time. I don't mind managers making mistakes so long as they learn from them.

I put this on the verdict thread, but it relates to the discussion here I think:
Been thinking a hell of a lot about the changes. I'm torn. Has to be either:
a) one eye on tuesday, or;
b) injuries

Ikeme - no doubting that one. His foot was in a brace.
Golbourne - he's returning from a lont time off. Kid gloves I guess. Wouldn't want him to break down on his return. I can allow this one.
Iorfa - people have suggested injury for him being replaced in previous games. I've not seen confirmation of this, but it is possible.
Dicko - people have suggested his back isn't 100% (he did look like he was holding it a couple of times saturday). I'd be starting Afobe currently, to allow Dicko to recover.

So, if injuries are an issue (plausible, given the above), that makes 1 tactical change - Price for Evans.
However, given the defensive changes, this change absolutely should not have been made. Price offers massive cover to the defence, & is (imo) a brilliant organiser and communicator.

I don't think this is unreasonable. Kenny wants a core 18-20. You think upgrading at least 2 of those core players is the right way to go. I for one agree. But, my only issue is how we upgrade. We could be talking a considerable investment to make those two upgrades of the core 18-20 (I am assuming you are thinking Edwards upgrade (£4m+ to be sure the player is the upgrade) and someone in centre mid to step up from what McDonald, Evans and Price can offer?). It would be great to get that, but we didn't. Hopefully, something in the loan market might help us out.

I think that is the main issue

If we upgrade number ten...it is about £4M and that's alot

If we upgrade and get an experienced midfielder, a good one similiar money

Bring them in on loan??

I think loan is the only realistic option for us financially just now, not allowing for the fact that the window is gone so it must be only loan anyway. Permanent upgrades in the summer maybe.

Another issue is we are ponderous on the ball, moving it slowly whilst the opposition set their defence

We need to counter attack at pace

Yes - I am agreeing again! Stop the world, I want to get off!

Our style of play is very ponderous. KJ has said so with his call for tempo over the last couple of games. No solution in sight yet. Here's hoping though.

£4M is a hugely arbitrary figure to start throwing around. Paying that guarantees nothing as I'm sure we're more than aware of after the Solbakken signing debacles.

Bournemouth, Ipswich, Watford and Boro all finished last season in a similar position to what we find ourselves in now and used the summer window to strengthen. Bournemouth only really added Wilson and Surman - the likes of Cook, Arter and Ritchie have all grown immeasurably on the back of last seasons experience.

Our younger lads are only going to improve for this season. We have a relatively inexperienced squad when it comes to this league and given the extent of the involvement of younger players, we should only improve for the experience. That isn't to say we shouldn't strengthen, but lets not forget that Iorfa, Doherty, Batth, Golbourne, McDonald, Evans, Price, VLP, Dicko and Afobe have had little or no exposure to this league before. You'd expect most of them to improve.

It is arbitrary - just a figure I plucked from the air. Upgrading would cost a lot so really substitute £4m for "a lot"

More rubbish in the E & S

We received three offers and could have sold Bakary,” said Moxey.

“But hanging onto one of our most influential players, our charismatic top goalscorer, when the opportunity was there to cash in on him as he nears the end of his contract is another statement of intent by the chairman and the player.”

Rubbish Sako said he would not go to a team fighting relegation and only that type of team bid so nothing was ever going to happen.

To say it shows the intent of Morgan is rubbish and shows he thinks that the fans must be idiots Morgen showed minimal intent in this window as he usually does

I guess the intent from the clubs point of view is that, despite what Sako wanted to do, we could have accepted the bids and left the rest up to him.

What is wrong with football at the moment. Why does everyone want to be the one that shouts the loudest and wants to be angry about what is essentially fuck all in the grand scheme of things.

Moxey is a PR disaster and always has been. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I guess the intent from the clubs point of view is that, despite what Sako wanted to do, we could have accepted the bids and left the rest up to him.

Bang on.

What is wrong with football at the moment. Why does everyone want to be the one that shouts the loudest and wants to be angry about what is essentially fuck all in the grand scheme of things.

It's boiling my piss TBH. Web Rage at it's most pointless.

Back