• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

Quite a few on here have been arguing about the lack of investment or not by Morgan.

After the last three home games, none of us can be in any doubt any longer

Looking at the list of players on the back of the programme yesterday, the 18 playing were listed

Apart from that there was

Ikeme & Rowe injured

Saville on loan

Ricketts & Jacobs who are not in managers plans and a couple of kids like Flatt, McCarey and Keita

We only have 21 players to pick 18 from so we virtually have a situation where if you are fit you play !!

There is therefore very little competition for places.

As far as I can see the only choices the manager has is 1 from 2 in the following positions: right back,left back, Price or Evans, RVLP or Henry

The rest of the team [picks itself

This is not good enough and the last three home games has demonstrated as clear as day that only bringing in Afobe was not enough and a huge opportunity has been lost

As a result Kenny has to pick three defenders on the bench for a home game !!! because he has no other options

That fact alone proves we have not invested enough

I'm more concerned with the pattern of play that KJ is asking the team to play rather than the selected players trying to accomplish it. Kenny Jackett has different footballers available to him should he choose to go with a more expansive game.

I agree. It isn't about new players, he isn't getting anything like the best out of his existing squad.

Yep. It's a well-worn argument but it's clearly not simply a case of thumping your chest and bellowing 'INVESTMENT!'.

If only it were that simple.

Everyone wants to improve the first team at all times. Even if you have the money available, it isn't just as simple as saying "ok let's go out and buy someone better". Clubs have to want to sell and players have to want to move and for the wages you can afford. Anyone who is obviously an upgrade usually cost heavily on fee and wages. Everyone else is always a gamble, no matter how much you pay.

Everyone wants to improve the first team at all times. Even if you have the money available, it isn't just as simple as saying "ok let's go out and buy someone better". Clubs have to want to sell and players have to want to move and for the wages you can afford. Anyone who is obviously an upgrade usually cost heavily on fee and wages. Everyone else is always a gamble, no matter how much you pay.

Stop talking sense.

Any investment is only as good as your scouts. Mayhap we need a bit of a re-tool there.

Last week, many were saying we should upgrade Edwards, then when we didn't, they said it was ok that we didn't need to. We rather needed an upgrade, or we didn't. Now, after losing against Reading, KJ is quickly turning into the bad manager. What if he knew we needed to upgrade a certain player, that he had asked for him, but was refused on the grounds Sako is staying till the summer? That is, you can't have both.
Who should be to blame then? KJ for basically working with a team that he put together to get us promoted from div 1? with a few inclusions.

Fans are trying to have it both ways here. First saying we needed to upgrade certain players, then when we don't, get on the managers back at the first opportunity. KJ doesn't buy the players. He doesn't set the wage limits and I feel he his know being criticised by some fans with very short memories.

Who changed their tune about upgrading on Edwards? I certainly haven't seen that.

Who changed their tune about upgrading on Edwards? I certainly haven't seen that.

If we needed to upgrade him, Alan, I'm sure KJ knew that too. If we haven't, there has to be a reason why we haven't. We rather have a good enough squad or we haven't.

Last week, many were saying we should upgrade Edwards,
Agreed
then when we didn't, they said it was ok that we didn't need to.
Not true. Please show an example of someone saying first we do, then don't need the upgrade.
We rather needed an upgrade, or we didn't.
Unless you can show where, I don't think the opinion has changed.
Now, after losing against Reading, KJ is quickly turning into the bad manager.
No he isn't, that's your interpretation of posts. People have, for some time questioned selections, tactics, and having a plan b (or lack of) as potential weaknesses in KJ's management. Whether they're correct or not remains to be seen. He arrested a relative slump/poor form over December/January last year. He tried to make us more attacking but failed in November this year. He halted the consecutive losses & we went onto an 8 game unbeaten run, becoming more solid again. Questions, valid ones remain. There is no Jackett out or similar, merely questioning of decision making, team selection and tactics. Some also speculate, eg on omissions from the squad.
What if he knew we needed to upgrade a certain player, that he had asked for him, but was refused on the grounds Sako is staying till the summer? That is, you can't have both.
Pure 100% speculation.
Who should be to blame then? KJ for basically working with a team that he put together to get us promoted from div 1? with a few inclusions.
Why the focus on blame?I think more people are trying to understand.

Fans are trying to have it both ways here. First saying we needed to upgrade certain players, then when we don't, get on the managers back at the first opportunity.
Not at all. As requested, please show where people have changed their stance. I do not believe anyone has.
KJ doesn't buy the players. He doesn't set the wage limits and I feel he his know being criticised by some fans with very short memories.
KJ does have final say on all signings. The club & KJ have confirmed that on more than 1 occasion, including the recent forum broadcast on radio wm, where Kenny said it himself. In addition, there are strong rumours that KJ himself vetoed the Wood transfer because of Woods excessive wage demands, and the implications for team unity and morale.

If we needed to upgrade him, Alan, I'm sure KJ knew that too. If we haven't, there has to be a reason why we haven't. We rather have a good enough squad or we haven't.

He is the next position to upgrade, but it will cost £4m+ or it would be someone that will turn out not to be an upgrade.

It seems simple enough to me to assume that even if KJ thinks we need to upgrade on Edwards that such an upgrade doesn't just fall into your lap. Not only are such players rare enough at this level, but they'd likely be fairly expensive in either transfer cost or wage, or both.

We could have had that Zyro fellow here but I don't think we should just be throwing £4million at anyone who piques our interest.

He is the next position to upgrade, but it will cost £4m+ or it would be someone that will turn out not to be an upgrade.

It might not take £4 million plus but if it doesn't take a decent amount it will need some excellent scouting and i think everyone would admit they aren't sure on that right now.

Back