• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Things that make you SAD thread.

I don't see the need to get myself down worrying about what's happened to a person i've never had, and probably never will have, any interaction with.

Its not about the need to get yourself down worrying about whats happened to a person, but isnt it something to do with having a bit of compassion ?

Lemon and Parkin have covered it. It's the employer's responsibility to ensure safe working conditions, end of argument. You might expect an experienced employee to bring a deficiency to the employer's attention but not a young apprentice.
100% this. He's a 16 year old lad, first job, probably nervous as hell. What the hell would he know about health and safety on a butcher's machine? It probably looked safe enough when he was shown how to use it.

Are you on the spectrum mark?
It's bizarre that you cannot feel any compassion for anyone on the planet except yourself.
Either that or you're phenomenally self centred and selfish.

Who said i can't feel compassion for anyone but myself?

100% this. He's a 16 year old lad, first job, probably nervous as hell. What the hell would he know about health and safety on a butcher's machine? It probably looked safe enough when he was shown how to use it.

How do you know it's his first job?

And that bit in bold is exactly why he should've asked for training and then waited until he'd received it until he was willing to use it, don't be a have a go hero.

How do you know he didn't have training?

Being shown how to use a machine, and knowing exactly the sorts of guards and mechanical safety devices it should have are completely different things.

If he wasn't told that the guard was missing or even told how to use the guard in the event that the machine had one, then he received inadequate training. And that's the employer's fault again.

As I said, it probably looked safe enough when he was shown how to use it. How would he know what the machine would do in event of something going wrong?

It's 100% the employer's responsibility to provide adequate training on any machinery, ensure the employee can use it safely, and know how to stop things if things go wrong.

Then again, maybe the lad was just a dumbass who stuck his hand in there and leaned on the start button? That shouldn't happen but you can't account for the stupidity of people.

How do you know he didn't have training?

Being shown how to use a machine, and knowing exactly the sorts of guards and mechanical safety devices it should have are completely different things.

If he wasn't told that the guard was missing or even told how to use the guard in the event that the machine had one, then he received inadequate training. And that's the employer's fault again.

As I said, it probably looked safe enough when he was shown how to use it. How would he know what the machine would do in event of something going wrong?

He could well have had training for all i know, if so then he's even more at fault isn't he? If he's gone against things that he'd been told.

If he'd had inadequate training then yes, the employer is at fault, just like he's at fault for not having the machine in safe condition to begin with, that doesn't absolve the operator of his responsibility either though, if you didn't know how to use something properly or how to even check it was safe to use in the first place would you still crack on or ask for training on how to use it properly? Everyone has to share responsibility for health and safety, you can't just pin it all on the employer, blindly go about your business and then going running off crying when it goes tits up, look after yourself.

In the case of a piece of machinery it's 100% the employer's responsibility to provide thorough training, information about the machine and it's parts, and also a SSOW (safe system of working) so that he can operate it safely. If he had no questions or concerns after a demonstration then you can only assume he was happy that it looked safe to use.

As I mention in the end of my now edited post though, you can't account for people's stupidity. Nothing is ever 100% safe.

By it's very nature the employer/employee relationship is one of authority and submission, respectively. Doesn't this also mean that by it's very nature the employer is more responsible for this sort of thing?

You wouldn't equally blame a child who was beaten by their parents and say "ay, they knew it hurt, they should have got out the way". It's skirting the line with victim blaming in a very dangerous way.

In the case of a piece of machinery it's 100% the employer's responsibility to provide thorough training, information about the machine and it's parts, and also a SSOW (safe system of working) so that he can operate it safely. If he had no questions or concerns after a demonstration then you can only assume he was happy that it looked safe to use.

As I mention in the end of my now edited post though, you can't account for people's stupidity. Nothing is ever 100% safe.

As has been said before, it's not 1 person's responsibility to ensure health and safety is maintained to an acceptable standard, both employer and employee have to do their part, just because the employer has failed his duties of maintaining his equipment to an acceptable standard that doesn't mean the employee is the poor helpless victim, he could've failed such duties himself, not asking for training, not reporting faulty equipment, willing do work his isn't trained/qualifed to do.

Clearly mark has never worked in a butchers shop or any other similar environment,

Training would go something like, "ok here's the meat, stuff it in there, switch it on here,and put the paper to wrap it under here where the mince comes out, right now mrs smith wants a kilo, and she can't wait all day".

I worked in a butchers shop many years ago, after school and at weekends, and frankly i am struggling to see how he did it, unless he was simply pushing the meat down the hole with his hand, and not using the wooden stick to push it in.

Either that or he was ogling the customer with the big tits and not watching the mincer. I lost the end of a thumb on a cooked mat slicer doing exactly that, but they were great tits, i have to say.

You have, in the things you say.

I may not have shown compassion for any examples that have been thrown up on this forum, the only place we have ever interacted, so you've taken my attitude towards complete strangers that have no effect on my life, nor me on theirs, as how i'd respond to any member of the world's entire population, bold assumption you've made.

Yeah, a real bold assumption based on 13872 posts over a 4 year period.

I may not have shown compassion for any examples that have been thrown up on this forum, the only place we have ever interacted, so you've taken my attitude towards complete strangers that have no effect on my life, nor me on theirs, as how i'd respond to any member of the world's entire population, bold assumption you've made.

No, I imagine you're quite a timid, wouldn't say boo to a goose lettuce who does exactly what his girlfriend says when she says it. Strange how the internet can distort the reality of a person isn't it?

My inability to deal with, or even interact with technology. Older than my years, and it won't improve.

Yeah, a real bold assumption based on 13872 posts over a 4 year period.
Because all those posts have been in relation to compassion, or a lack thereof, haven't they? Stop acting like you know me, it's embarrassing.
No, I imagine you're quite a timid, wouldn't say boo to a goose lettuce who does exactly what his girlfriend says when she says it. Strange how the internet can distort the reality of a person isn't it?
Yeah, I sit quietly at my desk at work doing exactly as I'm told, only speak when spoken to, then every free minute is spent with my girlfriend who completely rules my life. Oh no wait, you don't know me either do you? :)

My inability to deal with, or even interact with technology. Older than my years, and it won't improve.

Take my word for it, it gets worse.
Typical conversation :
Secretary : Have you got Whatsapp ?
Me : blank expression
Secretary : On your phone
Me : blanker expression, stares at phone as if its going to tell me.
Secretary : Don't bother :)

Back