• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

oh I see. For some reason I thought Lopetegui didn’t have anything to do with Mendes (but I think I’m misremembering)

Definitely got something to do with Mendes though as he was involved in the talks when Fosun took us over.

I think when he was Real Madrid manager there was some kind of dressing room split between the Mendes clients and non-Mendes clients as well. Although that might've been Mourinho now I think about it...

I think Mendes was the one involved in the talks getting him here post-Sevilla, but that could just be a Fosun thing I suppose. I’ve read different things - some say it’s Mendes, others say it’s Carlos Bucero.

Definitely got something to do with Mendes though as he was involved in the talks when Fosun took us over.
We employ Jorge to do stuff like that though don't we (or did). We have signed and sold non Mendes players but he as been involved on our behalf

Mendes often leads the negotiations on big deals on behalf of smaller agents and takes a drink. It was him trying to get Lop into Utd when they appointed OGS

Wouldn't you wonder how many points we'd have now if J L was in charge .

Probably something similar or more , but you'd wonder if we would have the same spirit in the squad . The 5 - 0 and the 6 - 0 do display a lack of togetherness - a kind of a throwing in the towel when the first two are scored .

I'd imagine JL would be in constant arguments with officials as well re those penalties , getting himself into trouble no doubt .

It's one of those ones where we will never know the answer , but anyone who shipped out that quickly was probably going to leave anyway once a top 6 club or even less than that came in for him .

The 6-0 an 5-0 whilst not brilliant., come with reasons about visiting a beach. JL had got the players united and fighting and when we crossed that safety line, it was a classic relax and not give a shit.

He would have also done a rebuild if Jeff/Fosun had stuck to their word or even allowed him to sign a few others off his own Plan B list which would have allowed him to do what he wanted. He wasn't here to fight relegation or be happy with 14th place ahead of this season.

As you say we don't know what would have happened but they were looking good in pre-season under him (as much as you can in a pre-season) but if he really didn't want to be here and had stayed on, then its likely he would have struggled to motivate himself, never mind the players but if he had stayed on, it would have meant he had got at least Plan B out of Jeff/Fosun and the make up of the team is different.

Pretty sure Ait-Nouri would have left and he wanted to replace Sa if possible.

Not sure he'd have got the returns out of Hwang that O'Neil has.

Some wag on Talkshite on Friday night stated that Loppers should have been jailed for considering selling Ait-Nouri and signing Aaron Creswell. Whilst I'm not quite sure on the legality of such a move, I'm quite glad that we still have a young exciting full back in our squad rather than a soon to be 34 year old that West Ham would have happily let go.

Fuck Lop and all, but wasn't being linked with the likes of Cresswell part of why he left?

Yep I think he was a legit Lopetegui target. While he was here there was 0% chance we were signing first team players above his head.

He definitely wanted Antonio too and he's back in his dog chasing after a balloon phase after a brief good spell.

Fab says Lop is “holding out for a PL job”. Er, Julen - you had one and you walked away from it a week before the season started.

I was fully behind the Lop-train when we announced him. Now I think the blokes a bellend.

The signs are it’s worked out well for us, so that’s all I care about, really.

He’s gonna have to be quite patient I think! He obviously thinks he has “unfinished business” in England but I don’t see many jobs that he’d be interested in coming up. And there’s quite a small pool who would also be looking at him.

Back