• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

Always thought the bottom at Christmas was a bit of a red herring due to the World Cup, however

When Albion did it they'd got the same points (10) from 18 games.

When Leicester did it they'd got the same points from 17 games.

We had the same points from 16 games, so we've only had two extra games to recover.

Start putting a but more respect on the job Julen has done. If we hadn't shit the bed v Leeds, Forest and Bournemouth it'd be even more impressive.

When you consider he hadn’t managed in the Premier League (I know he’s managed in other top divisions and internationally, but still) prior to coming here, the turnaround is even more remarkable as we were pretty toxic before he arrived.

Didn't realise so few actually survived the bottom at Christmas stat

I think it's now fair to say he's achieved the 1st of the targets he was brought in to achieve, and in the end probably with a relative degree of wiggle room to spare. He hasn't been perfect and at times we've still been frustrating, partly down to him, but I think we can have some optimism about what he can go on to achieve. Under him we've been a bit Jekyll and Hyde with home and away performances, but the results have been positive even if it's been born more of pragmatism than entertainment. Hopefully, the latter is something that will come.

I think we're alright to watch in the main, we quite obviously lack a main goalscorer but we play decent football and it's not an absolute drudge of a spectacle.

We were truly horrible to watch post-Raul injury under Nuno and for 90% of Lage's time. When we're winning 1-0 they aren't Megson/Allardyce/Pulis 1-0s.

I think we're alright to watch in the main, we quite obviously lack a main goalscorer but we play decent football and it's not an absolute drudge of a spectacle.

We were truly horrible to watch post-Raul injury under Nuno and for 90% of Lage's time. When we're winning 1-0 they aren't Megson/Allardyce/Pulis 1-0s.
It is sporadic though to be fair. We can turn it on in spells but we aren't exactly a free flowing attack minded team. We may never be that, I'm not sure it's his M.O. but I think most fans would want to see us creating more chances and scoring more goals!

He's had 20 league games - we've only drawn 5 blanks and three were against United, City and Liverpool away (where they're a very different beast).

With players who simply don't and won't score many he's done well in that regard. We had a ridiculous amount of 0s under Lage. Last Nov/Dec we had a run of 2 goals in 8 games.

Edit: We also started this season with 3 goals in 9 games.

To be fair when we played his Sevilla team in the Europa League they weren’t exactly free scoring or memorably dangerous on the attack, but they absolutely schooled us in the press and in possession. They were a very well coached team.

We won’t be turning prime Manchester United under Sir Alex with these players but he’s making us difficult to beat, particularly at home. We’re being effective with what possession etc we have in games, and we are miles more clever without the ball than we were 6 months ago. I didn’t predict he would ever take us on this kind of trajectory.

If we want to be a free flowing attacking team I don’t think Lopetegui is our man. I don’t think anyone in this league is particularly free flowing apart from City and Arsenal (in spells). There are considerably more effective teams than us, but I’ve no doubt at all we’ll get there with JLo.

I’m happy just having a team who can pass the ball to one another, create chances, and not look like they’re blowing 50 minutes into a game - because we weren’t that in December.

If anyone watched Sevilla's Europa win (they beat us in the quarter finals & MU in the semi's both 1 - 0 then 1 - 0 in the final) that told us what sort of Manager he was.

He doesn't have the players to be expansive now, but he's done what he needed to and we are there. What happens next season is another adventure

If we want to be a free flowing attacking team I don’t think Lopetegui is our man. I don’t think anyone in this league is particularly free flowing apart from City and Arsenal (in spells). There are considerably more effective teams than us, but I’ve no doubt at all we’ll get there with JLo.

I’m happy just having a team who can pass the ball to one another, create chances, and not look like they’re blowing 50 minutes into a game - because we weren’t that in December.
I think Brighton are the best team to watch personally. Liverpool when the gegenpress was in full effect was a joy to watch.

We were good to watch under Nuno when we were playing on the true counter too.

I don't think Lop will be exciting but he will be highly effective.

I don't think you need to be exciting or gung ho for the style to be enjoyable. The football Sevilla played was aesthetically pleasing but they weren't blowing teams away, more like slowly suffocating them. If we can regularly play like they did when they beat us in the Europa League id be delighted.

All hypothetical but it would be really interesting to see how Pep/Klopp/Tuchel etc fare taking on Sa, Bueno, Kilman Toti, Podence, Hwang et al. These are not brilliant players, come on. Bottom of basically every metric when Lopetegui arrived, deservedly so, and now safe with 3 games left? We were rancid for 15 games and Mick Beale wouldn’t have changed much of anything.

I have enormous respect for Lopetegui just for taking on a challenge that I’m sure many with similar profiles wouldn’t go anywhere near.

ffs he’s got people calling Diego Costa to be given another year and he was laughably unfit when he arrived.

Lop laying down the public pressure on Shi. Better have some good ideas Jeff.

Still just comes off as bog-standard PR to me.

"I want to improve the quality of the team". Well thank God for that.

I do appreciate that he seems very frank about coming to a team at the bottom of the table.

Yeah, there's nothing in there at all. He doesn't tend to give away a lot in general.

Back