• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

The only way we improve is with some serious investment in January.

Neves obviously comes back in for Hodge. Not sure why Hodge is playing ahead of Bouba (who's looked decent) today anyway? But I highly doubt Hodge bothers the matchday squad in the PL with all of our players back. Sa comes back in. Nunes will come back in. That will improve us in midfield. Without doubt, there needs to be money spent in defence and on forwards.

Dare I say it, but from what I have seen in these warm up games and the world cup, as the squad stands right now, I'd almost be tempted to go with Guedes-Hwang-Podence/Traore as the front three. Costa and Raul aren't fit for purpose and I'd have them on the bench. That said, I think we'll sign a new number 9.

I do think our goals scored column will improve over the next few weeks as Julen continues to work with the players, but I have major concerns over how our midfield and defence is setting up. Collins is a bombscare, Kilman is completely out of form. Toti flatters to deceive for me and it sounds like Yerson is off on loan. We definitely need to sign 1-2 first team defenders. I don't think Semedo has looked too bad in these games, but his end product is still fairly abysmal. May we look for another player in that role? On the other side, Hugo is decent going forward but still inexperienced defensively. I'm not sure RAN is the type of full back Lop wants, but time will tell.

So in short, I do expect to see some improvements - but to give us some fighting chance of staying up, we're going to have to act fast in January. None of this pissing around and waiting until the end of the window.

It's obvious we need a more experienced defender, whether that's between Kilman and Collins or in place of one of them depending on the system.

Definitely need a number 9. Let Raul/Costa fight it out to be the next in line, both would be better off as subs coming on for 20 minutes at this point anyway.

Good move that tbf - a decent first touch by Hwang?!

My biggest concern is our improvement is to late, we could be very much Newcastle of 2015/16 recovered under Benitez but was left with to much to do.

My biggest concern is our improvement is to late, we could be very much Newcastle of 2015/16 recovered under Benitez but was left with to much to do.
I disagree, 23 games left with the January transfer window is enough time to sort this mess, I just don't necessarily trust us to get the balance of the squad right.

Hopefully we'll be the Newcastle of 21/22...

I disagree, 23 games left with the January transfer window is enough time to sort this mess, I just don't necessarily trust us to get the balance of the squad right.

Point is it may take 5-6 games to improve by then you might need top half form just to break even.

Is it still 3-2?
We scored a 4th goal when Guedes played a lovely ball in for Hwang who powered in to the box and cut it across towards Raul but a defender turned it in for another OG (our top goal scorer). They got a late consolation with a nice curled effort from the edge of the box.

Julen has got a big 'ol job on his hands.

Full time, 4-3 Wolves.

Saw up to about 60 and then sporadically since.

A few green shoots here and there.

RAN needs to release the ball quicker.
Another experienced CB would be very useful
if Hwang is going to play it needs to play on the left
We need a striker

Well that was all a bit grim wasn't it?
I know its only a friendly, lots of changes mid-game and we were trying 3 atb for the first rimevunder JL. The thing that was most concerning was the sheer lack of quality we showed on the ball, passes and first touch at times were terrible.

Lopetegui will have done an exceptional job if he keeps this team up. A lot will depend on getting the right signings in January and them hitting the ground running, what we've got at the moment is nowhere near enough.

Here’s one where would you put our chances of survival as a percentage at this time?

The good:

- More time for Lopetegui to see what we have and who can and can't do what
- Definite better tempo and more intent to attack the box
- Ok, two were OGs and Cadiz weren't up to much, but four goals, we frequently didn't have four shots under Lage
- Guedes and Hwang both actually looked decent when they came on

The bad:

- As a team that struggles to score we cannot keep giving away awful goals, it was a theme pre-World Cup and the first two today were awful
- The right side of the defence is a mess, it's like the worst of Batth/Doherty. All over the place
- Kilman looks miles off his game still and Collins is struggling
- Hodge may have some ability but he's like a boy in a man's game, shouldn't be anywhere near. I wouldn't even loan him out at this stage, U21 football is his current level
- Adama managed to mess up numerous five yard passes and hardly beats anyone these days, crap
- Both strikers looked rubbish, offering no outlet a lot of the time and no goal threat

Here’s one where would you put our chances of survival as a percentage at this time?
About 20%. I think it's unlikely and a lot of things have to go right all at the same time.

Reading the comments on here reinforces what I always thought, a good manager will improve us, but the ceiling of that will remain low with the squad as it's currently constructed.

Even with some additional players and Julen getting more out of the squad absolute highest I’d give us is 45-50%

If Neto isn't back any time soon then I'd say we need four players (RB, CH, RW, ST) and they all need to hit the ground running, and we also need to get a tune out of Nunes.

Might even need two new centre halves, Kilman and Collins take it in turns to look the most shite as it stands.

Back