• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Wolves Archive

KiwiWolf61

Reaction score
Well as per my previous posts in the Wolves History thread, and of course DW’s promotion via Oscillating Wildly, my YouTube channel - The Wolves Archive - is now up and running.

The Wolves Archive

Preview as follows:

As noted previously, I’ve been busily cleaning up the videos (where possible) ie correct aspect ratio format, contrast, brightness and saturation etc. I should note the quality of some of matches from the late 50s and 60s are very average despite my best efforts. The videotape quality from this period is very primitive. Funnily enough games from the 30s to the mid-50s that were filmed (by British Pathe) are in pretty good condition, although the commentary is very dated but quite quaint.

Uploaded so far:

Compilations = 3 videos
Goal compilations for Derek Dougan, John Richards and Kenny Hibbitt.

History = 4 videos
These will be quite selective in what appeals to me over time.

There are individual playlists for each decade under the following folder:
1900s - 1940s = 23 matches

There are individual playlists for each season under the following folders:
1950s = 25 matches
1960s = 39 matches

Scheduled:
1970s = 100 matches (Jul 17th)
1980s = 112 matches (Jul 18th - Jul 21st)
1989/90 Season = 46 matches (Jul 23rd)
1990/91 Season = 38 matches (Jul 24th)
1991/92 Season = 44 matches (Jul 25th)

To be Scheduled:
Balance for the 1990s = 369 matches (1992/93-1998/99)
2000s = 502 matches

WIP:
2010s = 367 matches
2020s = 242 matches

I am currently limited to uploading 10 videos a day until I’ve built a suitable channel history on YouTube (usually takes 2 months).

I reckon I have approx. 95% of Wolves games from the 1990s and 98% from the 2000s. From 2012/13 onwards I’d also have approx. 98%.

In summary, over 1,900 matches; and according to the WolvesComplete History site, Wolves have played 7,247 first team matches (so that’s over 26% of them covered).

Match clips can vary in length to a few seconds to a couple of minutes to half an hour; and I have decided to only include 4 full matches - for me they are the most iconic Wolves games so far in my lifetime:
1974 League Cup Final
1980 League Cup Final
1988 Sherpa Van Final
2003 Play Off Final

One issue I do have is the Premier League blocking content due to copyright. Season 2003/04 is OK where I have 41 games for the season (however, the 4-3 win against Leicester City with Camara’s winning goal is often blocked). The main problem starts from 2009/10 and impacts that season along with 2010/11 and 2011/12.

For whatever reason there’s very little content for these 3 seasons (I have 45 matches I can upload out of 84 games I have). The ones blocked are ones I had edited from various sources.

From 2018/19 I will simply direct link in from Wolves TV and/or the Premier League.

I’ve also partnered with the owner of the WolvesCompleteHistory site where each match has a link in the description to the specific match on his site. He will have a page on his site detailing all the games on the YouTube channel.

In addition, DW has very kindly allowed me to link in, where appropriate, his articles from Oscillating Wildly to the respective match, season, player or manager.

I actually make an appearance in one of the matches . . .

Jan 2nd, 1971 FA Cup 3rd Round game against Norwich City (Wolves won 5-1). At 4mins 41 secs on the right I’m the young kid with glasses, scarf and a beanie (sitting next to my Dad smoking a pipe) which lasts for 5 secs as I wave to one of the Wolves players before a throw-in is taken. I’m not quite 10 !

When I’ve finished uploading the 1,900+ videos I’ll be compiling a series of compilations depicting Bully’s goals - I reckon I’d have well over 200 of his goals now. SEB and Andy Mutch will follow after that.

I’ve gone with the mass upload approach as I’ve noticed other YouTube football channels tend to run out of steam after a year or 2. By getting the vast bulk of the games done ASAP I can then concentrate on the most enjoyable part of this passion project in actually searching for games (especially from the 60s, 70s and 80s) whilst having a huge library already available for others to view.

Obviously I’m looking for support (likes and subscriptions to the channel) to get the channel up and running and out there - note the channel is not (and never will be) monetised - it is a passion project for entertainment and historical record.

I’m hesitant to contact the club given current events but we will see how it goes.

But please enjoy and hopefully it will bring back some great memories of the club we all love.

WOW - well spotted YW !

Despite watching the video a few time (as I have to in doing this project for every bloody video including ones where Wolves get smashed) I totally missed that.

Just something I'd like to add in regards to the 1974 League Cup Final.

Believe it or not, this game is now copyright protected by the FA Premier League - "GW28, Wolves v Fulham, 09/03/2024 - KO 15:00".

I had a devil of a time including the clips of the goals by Hibbitt and Richards in my compilations as they were getting blocked - I appealed to YouTube and the copyright owner but to no avail.

However, I have managed to source the clips from a YouTube video that is still not blocked.

In regards to the game itself, I had compiled my own highlights video (approx. 11 minutes long) and that was blocked along with my cut of the full match.

I was extremely pissed off . . . surely the copyright belongs to ITV (the broadcaster) and/or the Football League - not the bloody Premier League.

I have managed to source a highlights clip (just over 2 minutes long) for the game plus I will be directly linking from another site for the whole match.

In my searches on this game in YouTube I've noticed there's been a few uploads now blocked - very concerning.

Oh my word. I think I am going to lose days of my life on that site. Thank you already for the huge amount of hard work it must have taken.

Brilliant, epic effort, just scratched the surface so far, only the goal compilations of Doog, Richards and Hibbett.....predictably.

Cheers - have subscribed. Can only imagine how many hours you’ve put into this. Fantastic to see some clips of the old greats. Naturally I prefer watching the clips of games we’ve won!

From what I recall the appeals system on YT is a bit of a waste of time. They either reconfirm a position or don’t answer esp if you don’t have clear evidence to the contrary.

Cheers - have subscribed. Can only imagine how many hours you’ve put into this. Fantastic to see some clips of the old greats. Naturally I prefer watching the clips of games we’ve won!

From what I recall the appeals system on YT is a bit of a waste of time. They either reconfirm a position or don’t answer esp if you don’t have clear evidence to the contrary.
One of the downsides of this has been watching and re-watching games where Wolves have lost and/or been humiliated.

The 1982 game against Spurs when we got hammered 6-1 at White Hart Lane was the first game I saw when I arrived in NZ (I didn't know the score when it came on a week later) - I didn't see another Wolves game for another 16 years when we beat Leeds 1-0 in the 1998 FA Cup Quarter-Final.

Yeah I'd agree re YT's appeals system - I had to give it a go as I found it absurd that the Premier League can have copyright and block viewing of a game that is over 50 years old.

didn’t the ridiculous man crooks get a hatrick in that horrible game? it wasn’t a great time for us, promotion season apart.

didn’t the ridiculous man crooks get a hatrick in that horrible game? it wasn’t a great time for us, promotion season apart.
Nope it was Ricky Villa - season before he put us out of the FA Cup semi-final replay with a cracking goal in Spurs 3-0 win.

Crooks scored twice in that 3-0 defeat and once in the 6-1 thrashing.

I found it absurd that the Premier League can have copyright and block viewing of a game that is over 50 years old.
Unfortunately copyright in these situations lasts for 70 full years for something like this, so anything younger than that is always going to be at the mercy of the relevant company, as irritating as that is. Anything from 1953 or before is completely fair game though.

I do something non-Wolves related that relies on items dropping out of copyright, and it's deeply annoying when you know that there's all this stuff that is of very little commercial value to the copyright owner that people would love to see but you can't use it.

Nope it was Ricky Villa - season before he put us out of the FA Cup semi-final replay with a cracking goal in Spurs 3-0 win.

Crooks scored twice in that 3-0 defeat and once in the 6-1 thrashing.
I got taken to the semi final replay. Having it played at Highbury was obviously a mistake. the main things I remember other than Villa’s goal was George Berry blazing over from 6 yards out and being asked to sit down a few times by a woman sat behind me. Maybe also crooks scoring and my weakening memory mixing it up with the 6-1 😂

Please do not talk about that awful night at Highbury. Coach journey home with a smashed in window and the piss artists at the back of the coach who couldn't hold their ale and pissed all over the coach made it utterly fucking miserable. And talking of footballers to hate.... Crooks by a country mile. Smug cunt. But boy, he could play.

Please do not talk about that awful night at Highbury. Coach journey home with a smashed in window and the piss artists at the back of the coach who couldn't hold their ale and pissed all over the coach made it utterly fucking miserable. And talking of footballers to hate.... Crooks by a country mile. Smug cunt. But boy, he could play.
My overriding memory of that night is a bit more comical. I was studying in London at the time and had a physics exam the next day, so I took my notes in a plastic carrier bag (no fancy backpacks for us in those days) so I could do a bit of last minute revision on the tube. All well and good till a copper at the gate wanted to look in the bag, and took the absolute piss (something about "you Wolves fans are too clever for your own good") when he found out what was in it. I seem to have wiped any memory of the game itself from my mind completely.

Back