• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ticketing Question - Not asking for you to sell me tickets

Yep unique, apart from all the other British chain pubs that serve food.
Except they're all made from unique and different buildings. Wetherspoons make a point of buying stuff like old cinemas, and run down public buildings etc to make each one a bit different.

Look, I'm no Wetherspoons fan whatsoever, I think the owner is a prick, but I also notice plenty of recommended YouTube reaction videos of Americans visiting the UK and going to Wetherspoons as they've been told they should visit at least once. You don't get that with other chain pubs.

We're making a proper trip of this. We're going to Ireland, Scotland, London, etc.. This is going to be about 12 days over there. We want to see the country, the history, and take in some football. We haven't planned out the sequencing yet, but we want this to be a good time there.
Here's some more advice for you to ignore.... don't try to do Ireland, Scotland, London and Wolves all in 12 days. IMO, you'll not really take it all in as you'll be doing a lot of traveling and meeting time deadlines to fit things in. Leave Ireland and Scotland for another time. Enjoy the things England has to offer by traveling to Devon, Cornwall, New Forest, South Coast, Lake District and even a foray into Wales if you want some rain.

You simply cannot do justice to Scotland or Ireland in just two or three days each and it's a lot of stress with kids. Think of them and give them a chance to play a bit. My grandkids were over from Atlanta last year and their Mom and Dad had plans to do so much more than we did as they were exhausted from jet lag initially and then from gallivanting around to London, Oxford, Lichfield, etc. So, we made time to visit local playgrounds and frankly, the kids enjoyed that more than visiting Windsor Castle and the other London attractions. It also gave all of us time to chill out and enjoy our time together rather than worry about the next gig on the agenda. It's supposed to be a holiday and a chance to decompress.

I understand you are spending a lot of money and may view it as an opportunity you may not get again. It was like my first trip to Disney World... we dashed around trying to see everything in two weeks... absolutely no chance. On our second trip we took it easier and enjoyed ourselves a whole lot more with plenty of pool days at the villa.

Good planning is required, as TT said London, Dublin, Edinburgh are excellent. If you can get to one of the 'pretty' areas like Lake Distict also.
Know what you want to see in London, there's a lot of stuff, don't try and see all of it.
No need to go all the way to the Lake District, just head up to Cannock Chase when staying in Wolverhampton. It's now over 25 years since I lived in England so perhaps some one can update this information:

Steer clear of Milford Common. Visit Shugborough Hall and The Deer Museum if you want to learn about local history and English deer. Seven Springs is worth a quick visit. Best of all, for me, park at the German cemetery, walk down the road/path for a couple of miles, soak in the calm, look around and you should be able to find a natural spring. The best tasting, naturally cooled water I have ever tasted.

Section 122

Finally, give Manchester airport a miss. Heathrow may be further but its far less hassle and you'll be able to visit London if that takes your fancy. Manchester airport is a shit hole and security a complete joke.

Depends on the terminal. I regularly use T1 and T3 and they are usually deeadful. T2 is definitely the best and would be the likeliest one for flights to and from the US.

I can recommend this too. As a family we loved it.

@Orlandomagic2525 You can stay in Tower Hill, lots of decent hotels and you are right by the tower (funnily enough) and the Thames. A London tour bus is a must as is the London
I'd recommend using the guided tour buses with hop on and hop off to get yourself around London (you can also do the Thames river trip from Embankment to Tower of London). Clearly lots of sites to see, London Eye can be expensive for walk up prices, so book online for decent savings.

One of the city's best kept secrets at Bloomberg's corporate office on Queen Victoria Street and it's free;

Last edited:
The trouble is that a lot of the big attractions in London are a fucking rip off (Madame Tussauds I am looking at you) or just wipe out an entire day because they are so massive (British Museum, Natural History Museum [which is superb], V&A, Imperial War Museum)

If you do decide to make it up to Edinburgh, the Grassmarket has some excellent pubs and shops. Plus if you fancy a spooky time the Edinburgh vaults might be a possibility. I once did a ghost tour of Edinburgh hosted by a bloke who called himself Adam Lyall deceased and dressed as a vampire. Loads of fun. Witchery always used to be the best restaurant in Edinburgh but it's a long time since my last visit.

Squeak made a very good suggestion of Cosford for when you have the Wolverhampton part of the trip. Excellent aircraft museum and not very far north of Wolverhampton.

Most attractions over here are a rip off. When in Portugal last week we visited Silves which has a lovely castle overlooking the area. we've been in before but always visit again - at 2.80 Euros admission its too vfm not to plus they have a nice cafe bar in the grounds and sometimes free displays such as Moorish hawk. A similar attraction here would be at least £10 admission

Reactions: jlo
I'd recommend using the guided tour buses with hop on and hop off to get yourself around London (you can also do the Thames river trip from Embankment to Tower of London). Clearly lots of sites to see, London Eye can be expensive for walk up prices, so book online for decent savings.

One of the city's best kept secrets at Bloomberg's corporate office on Queen Victoria Street and it's free;

I feel that I've got a good grasp on history and London, so always skipped the open top bus tours thinking they'd be more aimed at tourists from overseas, finally did one as my dad had badgered me about doing one for ages.

Really glad I did, it was brilliant.

Its really difficult - so much contrary advice - balancing the trip of a lifetime against relaxation and enjoyment!

Good advice indeed is not to squeeze to much in. Something like: -

4 nights in London, then travel to Wolves by train 2-5 hours journey then 1 day/night Wolverhampton for the game, then a train up to Edinburgh takes 5 hours so then spend 3 nights there, then fly to Dublin from Edinburgh Airport spend 3 nights Dublin.

Yes there are many other lovely places in Britain, but: - a) even they can seem crap if the weather isn't good (Lake District/ Wales/Scottish Highlands), and b) they may well be tough and draining to get to. I know I should say spend longer in Wolves, but lets face it, your lad isn't here for the history of the Black Country, he is here for the game. London is draining by the way, you walk about 3-4 miles at minimum a day just getting between places even when using the Tube.

Sticking to cities means still plenty can be done irrespective of unpredictable British weather.

Last edited:
London, Dublin, Edinburgh are the main points of focus. We already started out research about the "must see" things last night. There more "must sees" than there is time available!!

A few London freebies, blags and ways to beat the system from experience:

Don’t pay the £28.50 to go to the viewing area at The Shard (London’s tallest building). You can go up to one of the bars and restaurants for free instead - you’ll then have to pay around £12 for a glass of wine (a bit less for a smallish beer) but you’ll have a nice table with a fantastic view and you’ll be able to sit there peacefully taking it all in for as long as you like.

Or - if you’re feeling brave, inside the Shard foyer itself, go to the far right to the lift entrance to the 5 star Shangri-La hotel. Nod and walk confidently past the concierge and take the lift to the restaurant. In the walkway space between the lift exit and restaurant reception there are a few comfortable seats with amazing views. You’re left to yourself and you effectively get the viewing gallery experience without the crowds for the grand sum of f-all.

Another amazing free viewing place is The Sky Garden

You have to pre-book and there’s a bit of touristy queuing going on but again tickets are free so the wallet gets a moment’s rest which is always a good thing.

Then, take a look at the free walking tours.

You do need to pre-book as the groups are kept fairly small, but it’s free to book and you just tip the guide as you see fit at the end. I’ve always used Strawberry Tours and the Jack the Ripper one is a cracker, particularly if you go dusk/dark. You can take the family (the guides know how handle the sensitive aspects (e.g. they have autopsy photographs which they keep away from children)), and at the end just drop the guide £20 and that’s another bargain.

Not suggesting you shouldn’t do all the touristy things, just that some of the free alternatives aren’t necessarily poor substitutes, they’re sometimes better.

Have fun.

A few London freebies, blags and ways to beat the system from experience:

Don’t pay the £28.50 to go to the viewing area at The Shard (London’s tallest building). You can go up to one of the bars and restaurants for free instead - you’ll then have to pay around £12 for a glass of wine (a bit less for a smallish beer) but you’ll have a nice table with a fantastic view and you’ll be able to sit there peacefully taking it all in for as long as you like.

Or - if you’re feeling brave, inside the Shard foyer itself, go to the far right to the lift entrance to the 5 star Shangri-La hotel. Nod and walk confidently past the concierge and take the lift to the restaurant. In the walkway space between the lift exit and restaurant reception there are a few comfortable seats with amazing views. You’re left to yourself and you effectively get the viewing gallery experience without the crowds for the grand sum of f-all.

Another amazing free viewing place is The Sky Garden

You have to pre-book and there’s a bit of touristy queuing going on but again tickets are free so the wallet gets a moment’s rest which is always a good thing.

Then, take a look at the free walking tours.

You do need to pre-book as the groups are kept fairly small, but it’s free to book and you just tip the guide as you see fit at the end. I’ve always used Strawberry Tours and the Jack the Ripper one is a cracker, particularly if you go dusk/dark. You can take the family (the guides know how handle the sensitive aspects (e.g. they have autopsy photographs which they keep away from children)), and at the end just drop the guide £20 and that’s another bargain.

Not suggesting you shouldn’t do all the touristy things, just that some of the free alternatives aren’t necessarily poor substitutes, they’re sometimes better.

Have fun.
I can endorse the Jack the Ripper tours. Usually meet up outside Tower of London.

Most 'attractions' in the UK are over priced compared to the rest of Europe but it is what it is.
For a trip of a life time I guess you just have to pay up and look happy

I agree for museums but for the privately owned attractions they are well over priced.
Depends - Are the staff working for free? How much to just open a place for the day in terms electricity etc

Pricing is shit but the costs to run them are through the roof and of course, if privately ran they have to do this thing called make a profit

I can endorse the Jack the Ripper tours. Usually meet up outside Tower of London.
I personally would avoid this, the Tower Of London is great btw and the tour guides for JTR are fantastic but nothing remains of the murder sites.

Back