• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Wolves Archive

Me too, I saw two Leicester fans outside of the ground before the game, gutted that he’d been transferred.

Today's release:

1988/89 Season (27 matches)

A 2nd consecutive promotion and a 2nd successive title as Champions as Wolves stormed through the 3rd Division to reach the 2nd Division.

Again, legend Steve Bull notched 50 goals in all competitions (is he the only player in English football to have scored 50+ goals in consecutive seasons ?) as Wolves had one of their most successful league seasons in their entire history.

The only real disappointment was losing to 4th Division Torquay United in the Associate Members' Cup Area Final (Sherpa Van Trophy) denying Wolves a 2nd Wembley trip, especially as Wolves had won the 1st leg at Torquay 2-1 only to lose at Molineux 2-0.

Last edited:
Reading at home was my first ever game :D

I'm not sure I've watched the Hansbury "masterclass" vs Torquay since the night itself 35 years ago, I'll try to pluck up the courage later...

Put myself through that particular piece of childhood trauma as what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger.

What on earth is he doing?! And he's none too clever on the first goal either.

May also be the worst Bully miss I've ever seen too (I think I'll let him off though)

Reading at home was my first ever game :D

I'm not sure I've watched the Hansbury "masterclass" vs Torquay since the night itself 35 years ago, I'll try to pluck up the courage later...

So it might be possible to see you at this game :)

Several miles away from the pitch in the John Ireland Lower

I now have documentary proof that I saw Robbie Dennison score a header!

Put myself through that particular piece of childhood trauma as what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger.

What on earth is he doing?! And he's none too clever on the first goal either.

May also be the worst Bully miss I've ever seen too (I think I'll let him off though)

Oh fuck NO... what's this... aren't you miserable enough? Fuck off with this bullshit.

I do not need to see Roger fucking Hansbury in my lifetime again.

;)

Today's release:

1989/90 Season (46 matches)

A successful return to the old 2nd Division after 2 successive promotions) with a very respectable 10th place finish (at one stage Wolves were seriously challenging for a play-off place before the season petered out).

Steve Bull proved he could score at the next level bagging 24 league goals for the season (27 in total) whilst earning himself a place in England's 1990 World Cup squad.

Numerous favourite matches but if I have to pick 2 it would be:

At the end of the Newcastle game I love the commentator's nonchalant comment - "Newcastle United 1 Steve Bull 4".

Last edited:
Today's release:

1990/91 Season (38 matches)

A disappointing season where Wolves never really seriously threatened the play-offs and finished 12th plus there were early exits in all 3 cup competitions.

The only satisfaction for the season was seeing West Bromwich relegated to the 3rd Division for the first time.

I have a week of nights coming up when I'm going to get properly stuck into this

I have a week of nights coming up when I'm going to get properly stuck into this
As of today, there's 391 videos uploaded.

By August 1st (next week) it will be up to 535 (seasons 1991/92, 1992/93 and 1993/94), which is still only 28% of what I'll be uploading in the new few months i.e. over 1,900 matches.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Watched some of 89/90 today - I'd barely seen any TV footage from that season. This channel is golden - although some of the commentary (and indeed the camera work) is hilariously awful.

Oh - a word for the Blackburn commentator with the VERY broad East Lancs accent in 89/90. Absolutely incredible :ROFLMAO:

"Was he offside? Well you've got the video - play it back a few times and see for yourselves"

Our in-house commentator for the club VHS releases (Phil something? Can't remember his surname) was a "it's there" man whenever a goal went in.

Used to be housed in this structure on top of the derelict Waterloo Road stand which er, seems safe.

8b3aeb3d85e32f20d38655bfa2901c39.jpg

Phil Walder. Absolutely dreadful. Didn't sound like he was paying attention most of the time.

Yeah, not great!

He's no George Andrews from The Wolf days in the mid 2000s though.

"The ball goes spinning away" Where George, where?!

"At right back, of course, it's Rob Edwards" What do you mean, "of course"?

"Low and hard, over the bar"

@Kenny informs me that we played Cov at home once (I was there, he had to work so radio only, so taking his word for this) and he said "Goal to Wolves" then five seconds later "So, it's Cameron to take the corner".

And frequently jumping up when we were on the attack and pulling the mics out, so the feed went completely dead.

@Kenny informs me that we played Cov at home once (I was there, he had to work so radio only, so taking his word for this) and he said "Goal to Wolves" then five seconds later "So, it's Cameron to take the corner".
Oh god!!

Actually went "ball comes in, hit first time GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL............................Cameron steps up to take the corner for Wolves"

My brain collapsed in on its self at that moment

Phil Walder's commentary was like listening to an old man who was half drunk and half asleep trying to tell you what you've already seen.

"Well Andy Thompson there errr... has... y'know... played well.... And he'll err.... be pleased with that. Oh - Bull - in there - two-nil. Well er... he's done well.... and he's scored again..."

Prime Barry Davies there.

Back