• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Wolves Archive

I know Birchy wasn't very tall, but how big is Phil Walder, 7'2''?!

I intend to watch them all, so far watched the early stuff. Watched the 90/91 season last night as that's the season I returned to Molineux after many years along with my eldest child. No coverage of our first game of that season unfortunately but still enjoyed it.

@KiwiWolf61

The Villa v Wolves (2-1) league cup game has been labelled incorrectly. It’s showing the second leg instead, so there’s 2 videos of the 2nd leg on there.

Great stuff by the way, Im really enjoying the games and checking if my memory has served me correctly on the ones I was at. Fortunately in the example above I did remember it being at Villa park and not a a two sides empty Molineux. Memory isn’t doing to well in others though 😀

@KiwiWolf61

The Villa v Wolves (2-1) league cup game has been labelled incorrectly. It’s showing the second leg instead, so there’s 2 videos of the 2nd leg on there.

Great stuff by the way, Im really enjoying the games and checking if my memory has served me correctly on the ones I was at. Fortunately in the example above I did remember it being at Villa park and not a a two sides empty Molineux. Memory isn’t doing to well in others though 😀
Thanks for that Sniffer . . . sometime all these games just blend into one !

I've actually managed to source goal highlights of the 1st leg at VILLA PARK, which I'll upload later today.

Thanks for that Sniffer . . . sometime all these games just blend into one !

I've actually managed to source goal highlights of the 1st leg at VILLA PARK, which I'll upload later today.
I recall the lower trinity road going crazy when we equalised (Mutch header?). I also remember getting a bollocking from Floyd Streete on the train on the way home for giving stick to some Villa fans I knew from school who unbeknown to them was sitting amongst them.

I recall the lower trinity road going crazy when we equalised (Mutch header?). I also remember getting a bollocking from Floyd Streete on the train on the way home for giving stick to some Villa fans I knew from school who unbeknown to them was sitting amongst them.
It's only 54secs of goal highlights but the atmosphere sounds electric. And, yes, it's Andy Mutch who scores with a neat header. One I'll be able to add to a goals compilation I'll compile for him in a few months time.
Phil Walder's commentary was like listening to an old man who was half drunk and half asleep trying to tell you what you've already seen.

"Well Andy Thompson there errr... has... y'know... played well.... And he'll err.... be pleased with that. Oh - Bull - in there - two-nil. Well er... he's done well.... and he's scored again..."

Prime Barry Davies there.
I wondered who he was, Phil Walder that is. The Micky Burrows of the 1990s then.

I greatly appreciate the contributions everyone has made and will continue to do so - it's extremely rewarding and gratifying for me.

Today's update:

1991/92 Season (44 matches)

Never quite got close enough to make the play-offs, always seemed to be a couple of games away.

Still, we had Steve Bull becoming Wolves record goal-scorer, over-taking John Richards with his 195th goal for Wolves away at Derby County.

The following week saw Newcastle United put to the sword 6-2.

Andy Mutch's terrible hat trick!

Surpassed by Adam Proudlock's at Bradford in 2001 since.

Today's update:

1991/92 Season (44 matches)

Never quite got close enough to make the play-offs, always seemed to be a couple of games away.

Still, we had Steve Bull becoming Wolves record goal-scorer, over-taking John Richards with his 195th goal for Wolves away at Derby County.

The following week saw Newcastle United put to the sword 6-2.

Dunno why, he was a bog standard lower league midfielder, but I always quite liked Tom Bennett.

Dunno why, he was a bog standard lower league midfielder, but I always quite liked Tom Bennett.
He was decent, Stockport fans loved him.

Paid for his versatility here so he continually shuffled between RB, CH and CM (probably occasionally RW too). We got rid of him for pennies and signed way worse midfielders for good money.

I intend to watch them all, so far watched the early stuff. Watched the 90/91 season last night as that's the season I returned to Molineux after many years along with my eldest child. No coverage of our first game of that season unfortunately but still enjoyed it.
What was your first game ?

After I've uploaded the 1,900+ games, I'll be concentrating on searching for more games.

I'm the same season. First game was Leicester away in that seaason, and then followed by the ZDS cup game also at Filbert Street which I think was in the midweek after. Would be very surprised if there is much footage of the ZDS game which was almost completely fog bound.

I'm the same season. First game was Leicester away in that seaason, and then followed by the ZDS cup game also at Filbert Street which I think was in the midweek after. Would be very surprised if there is much footage of the ZDS game which was almost completely fog bound.
Both games at Leicester are included (about a minute for each).

He was decent, Stockport fans loved him.

Paid for his versatility here so he continually shuffled between RB, CH and CM (probably occasionally RW too). We got rid of him for pennies and signed way worse midfielders for good money.
Looked at class act at centre half when we played Forest away in the cup when they were a decent side. I think he did his back in not long after and never got the same opportunities after before being sold on?

What was your first game ?

After I've uploaded the 1,900+ games, I'll be concentrating on searching for more games.
Can't remember the exact date but it was 1990 (I think) Plymouth Argyle, we won 3-1, Bully, Mutch and Steele with the goals.
My own first game I simply cant remember, probably 1969ish, it was either Everton or Spurs.

Can't remember the exact date but it was 1990 (I think) Plymouth Argyle, we won 3-1, Bully, Mutch and Steele with the goals.
My own first game I simply cant remember, probably 1969ish, it was either Everton or Spurs.
I'll make a note of it - Sept 22nd 1990 (season 1990/91); although games from this season are very hard to track down.

Correct video of Aston Villa 2-1 Wolves (League Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg - 20/9/1989) now uploaded.

Looked at class act at centre half when we played Forest away in the cup when they were a decent side. I think he did his back in not long after and never got the same opportunities after before being sold on?
I'd forgot about that back injury, maybe could have gone on to better things without that.

I'll make a note of it - Sept 22nd 1990 (season 1990/91); although games from this season are very hard to track down.

Correct video of Aston Villa 2-1 Wolves (League Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg - 20/9/1989) now uploaded.

Great if you can but don't worry about it, I don't expect there to be tv coverage for every random game that means summat to me.

Great if you can but don't worry about it, I don't expect there to be tv coverage for every random game that means summat to me.
All good - the most enjoyable part of this is the detective work in trying to track down match highlights.

Back