• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Wolves Archive

Got to say our transfer business was iffy in the extreme:

Milijas £2.6m
Hahnemann Free
Doyle £6.5m
Surman £1.2m
Halford £2m
Zubar £2.5m
Maierhofer £1.8m
Mancienne Loan
Castillo Loan
Mujangi Bia Loan
Guedioura Loan

I didn't have time for many of them. Hahnemann (not a long term solution, but settled us down when Hennessey was in no kind of form) and Doyle (genuinely superb in this season and worth the fee for that alone) the only definitive successes. Milijas was incredibly overrated by our fans, Zubar a constant fucking nightmare, Surman a lightweight nonsense who wouldn't have played above League One if he were right footed (we signed him instead of Lallana!), Halford simply appalling on every conceivable level, Maierhofer an objective joke, Mancienne was too weak to play CH and ended up as the least adventurous midfielder ever, Castillo out of the picture by the time the clocks went back, Mujangi Bia only notable for the least enthusiastic signing picture ever and Guedioura was just confusing.

On my channel I have a playlist which details my favourite Wolves games where I either attended or watched live on TV - indulgent yeah I know but these games are special for me.

There isn't one from 2009/10 or one at all from our Premiership stay for 3 seasons, although 2010/11 had a few more positive performances on a whole, our time in the PL was generally a hard slog.

In fact after the Charlton game in 2008 there will only be one game until we hit the Nuno years.

I saw Zubar's debut at home to Swindon in the League Cup. I think the only time he ever played CH for us (where we signed him to play). He got absolutely bodied by Billy fucking Paynter.

We genuinely were in talks with Monaco about shifting him on in a swap for this joker* before the summer transfer window closed! Didn't happen, obviously.

Christ I could not stand him. Like watching a pissed horse try to play football.

*Hover over there to see who it was, hyperlinks don't seem to show up any more

Got to say our transfer business was iffy in the extreme:

Milijas £2.6m
Hahnemann Free
Doyle £6.5m
Surman £1.2m
Halford £2m
Zubar £2.5m
Maierhofer £1.8m
Mancienne Loan
Castillo Loan
Mujangi Bia Loan
Guedioura Loan

I didn't have time for many of them. Hahnemann (not a long term solution, but settled us down when Hennessey was in no kind of form) and Doyle (genuinely superb in this season and worth the fee for that alone) the only definitive successes. Milijas was incredibly overrated by our fans, Zubar a constant fucking nightmare, Surman a lightweight nonsense who wouldn't have played above League One if he were right footed (we signed him instead of Lallana!), Halford simply appalling on every conceivable level, Maierhofer an objective joke, Mancienne was too weak to play CH and ended up as the least adventurous midfielder ever, Castillo out of the picture by the time the clocks went back, Mujangi Bia only notable for the least enthusiastic signing picture ever and Guedioura was just confusing.
As you say Doyle was superb - for one season - after that we saw a dreadful decline where he posed no goal threat at all.

Hanhemann was a very effective pickup - for 1 season again. The rest meh.

For me, over the 3 seasons, Matt Jarvis was our best player, even winning an England cap. It was such a shame that Kites spent the majority of the time injured.

Live coverage of Wolves games was now available (both PL and Championship) from around 2009. Anyone care to guess the ONE game that was memorable for me from 2008 to 2017 ?

Last edited:
Yup nailed it.

That first half was really something special - we played Liverpool off the park.

Even in the 2nd half under pressure we only looked wobbly after they scored in the 86th minute.

Back