• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Wolves Archive

Got to say our transfer business was iffy in the extreme:

Milijas £2.6m
Hahnemann Free
Doyle £6.5m
Surman £1.2m
Halford £2m
Zubar £2.5m
Maierhofer £1.8m
Mancienne Loan
Castillo Loan
Mujangi Bia Loan
Guedioura Loan

I didn't have time for many of them. Hahnemann (not a long term solution, but settled us down when Hennessey was in no kind of form) and Doyle (genuinely superb in this season and worth the fee for that alone) the only definitive successes. Milijas was incredibly overrated by our fans, Zubar a constant fucking nightmare, Surman a lightweight nonsense who wouldn't have played above League One if he were right footed (we signed him instead of Lallana!), Halford simply appalling on every conceivable level, Maierhofer an objective joke, Mancienne was too weak to play CH and ended up as the least adventurous midfielder ever, Castillo out of the picture by the time the clocks went back, Mujangi Bia only notable for the least enthusiastic signing picture ever and Guedioura was just confusing.

On my channel I have a playlist which details my favourite Wolves games where I either attended or watched live on TV - indulgent yeah I know but these games are special for me.

There isn't one from 2009/10 or one at all from our Premiership stay for 3 seasons, although 2010/11 had a few more positive performances on a whole, our time in the PL was generally a hard slog.

In fact after the Charlton game in 2008 there will only be one game until we hit the Nuno years.

I saw Zubar's debut at home to Swindon in the League Cup. I think the only time he ever played CH for us (where we signed him to play). He got absolutely bodied by Billy fucking Paynter.

We genuinely were in talks with Monaco about shifting him on in a swap for this joker* before the summer transfer window closed! Didn't happen, obviously.

Christ I could not stand him. Like watching a pissed horse try to play football.

*Hover over there to see who it was, hyperlinks don't seem to show up any more

Got to say our transfer business was iffy in the extreme:

Milijas £2.6m
Hahnemann Free
Doyle £6.5m
Surman £1.2m
Halford £2m
Zubar £2.5m
Maierhofer £1.8m
Mancienne Loan
Castillo Loan
Mujangi Bia Loan
Guedioura Loan

I didn't have time for many of them. Hahnemann (not a long term solution, but settled us down when Hennessey was in no kind of form) and Doyle (genuinely superb in this season and worth the fee for that alone) the only definitive successes. Milijas was incredibly overrated by our fans, Zubar a constant fucking nightmare, Surman a lightweight nonsense who wouldn't have played above League One if he were right footed (we signed him instead of Lallana!), Halford simply appalling on every conceivable level, Maierhofer an objective joke, Mancienne was too weak to play CH and ended up as the least adventurous midfielder ever, Castillo out of the picture by the time the clocks went back, Mujangi Bia only notable for the least enthusiastic signing picture ever and Guedioura was just confusing.
As you say Doyle was superb - for one season - after that we saw a dreadful decline where he posed no goal threat at all.

Hanhemann was a very effective pickup - for 1 season again. The rest meh.

For me, over the 3 seasons, Matt Jarvis was our best player, even winning an England cap. It was such a shame that Kites spent the majority of the time injured.

Live coverage of Wolves games was now available (both PL and Championship) from around 2009. Anyone care to guess the ONE game that was memorable for me from 2008 to 2017 ?

Last edited:
Yup nailed it.

That first half was really something special - we played Liverpool off the park.

Even in the 2nd half under pressure we only looked wobbly after they scored in the 86th minute.

Today’s update:

2010/11 Season (27 matches)

Season Summary:
Premier League = 17th.
FA Cup = 4th Round.
League Cup = 4th Round.
Top Goalscorer = Steven Fletcher (12).
Fans' Player Of The Season = Matt Jarvis.
Players' Player Of The Season = Matt Jarvis.

Preparing for their second consecutive season in the Premier League, Wolves made five new additions. Beside turning the loan of Adlene Guedioura into a permanent deal, the summer also saw the arrival of Belgian international defender Jelle Van Damme (who only lasted 6 games before returning home with homesickness); and two players captured from relegated Hull City - Steven Mouyokolo and Stephen Hunt, the latter ending a pursuit that had begun during the previous transfer window. Wolves most expensive new addition was striker Steven Fletcher who equalled the club's record fee of £6.5 million in joining from another relegated side, Burnley.

Of the new signings Fletcher was the only one that really added something to the team, being top goalscorer with 12 goals; whilst Hunt was past his best, he did play a crucial role in Wolves survival.

It seemed McCarthy had recognised that Wolves needed to pose more of a goal threat. The season saw Wolves score 46 goals (compared to 32 in the previous season); whilst conceding 66 (compare to 56 in the previous season). So a net gain of 4 goals.

However, in the previous season Wolves were only in the relegation spots for only 6 weeks of the season. But in 2010/11 they were in the relegation spots for 15 weeks.

The season started promisingly with an opening 2-1 win at home against Stoke City with Fletcher scoring the winner, albeit he was injured during the game. Wolves first half was arguably their best sustained attacking performance in the Premier League, but despite a good start to the season, Wolves fell down the table after a run of 5 five defeats in 6 games.

The season also saw notable home wins against Chelsea (1-0) and eventual champions Manchester United (2-1), but by mid-February Wolves were bottom in 20th place. After a 1-1 draw at bitter rivals West Bromwich Albion saw them lose only 3 out of their next 11 games, including 2 strong 3-1 wins against West Brom and Sunderland, that clawed the team out of the relegation zone before the final day.

The final day of the 2010–11 season featured one of the tightest ever relegation battles. At the start of the day, six teams had still not assured their safety, with one, West Ham, already condemned to relegation. The remaining two places could potentially be filled by Wolves, Blackburn Rovers, Birmingham City, Blackpool or Wigan Athletic. Wolves faced Blackburn at Molineux.

A dismal first half performance left the home side 0–3 down at the half time interval, meaning they occupied a relegation place. Despite moving up to 17th after Birmingham fell behind at Tottenham Hotspur early in the second half, two key goals in the same minute sunk Wolves back into the mire as Birmingham equalised, and Wigan took the lead in their game at Stoke City. With just three minutes remaining at Molineux, a goal by Stephen Hunt reduced the deficit to 2–3, meaning Wolves were safe by virtue of goals scored (having tied Birmingham on points and goal difference). An injury time goal by Spurs then ended all doubt and sent Birmingham down, along with Blackpool who had eventually lost at champions Manchester United despite having at one point led.

Wolves had survived in 17th place, on 40 points, a 2 point improvement on the previous campaign despite a much more nervous finale.

It was certainly an incredibly exciting, tense and ultimately successful last day of the season for Wolves and it did give McCarthy the distinction of being the first Wolves manager in 30 years to maintain the club's top flight position for two successive seasons.

But looking back should Wolves have retained McCarthy after the season end ? Had he run his course ? The answer would be in 2011/12 season.

Last edited:
The final day of the 2010–11 season featured one of the tightest ever relegation battles. At the start of the day, six teams had still not assured their safety, with one, West Ham, already condemned to relegation. The remaining two places could potentially be filled by Wolves, Blackburn Rovers, Birmingham City, Blackpool or Wigan Athletic. Wolves faced Blackburn at Molineux.

A dismal first half performance left the home side 0–3 down at the half time interval, meaning they occupied a relegation place. Despite moving up to 17th after Birmingham fell behind at Tottenham Hotspur early in the second half, two key goals in the same minute sunk Wolves back into the mire as Birmingham equalised, and Wigan took the lead in their game at Stoke City. With just three minutes remaining at Molineux, a goal by Stephen Hunt reduced the deficit to 2–3, meaning Wolves were safe by virtue of goals scored (having tied Birmingham on points and goal difference). An injury time goal by Spurs then ended all doubt and sent Birmingham down, along with Blackpool who had eventually lost at champions Manchester United despite having at one point led.

Wolves had survived in 17th place, on 40 points, a 2 point improvement on the previous campaign despite a much more nervous finale.
A long, long time ago, I wrote a blog about that day on here, just to get it all straight.

It turned out that despite everything, we were actually only in one of the relegation positions for 18 minutes.

Would have taken a brave man to sack McCarthy after we stayed up. In hindsight, yes we probably should have... but it would have been harsh. You do see those kind of bold decisions taken a bit more often now, but even when we sacked him after being battered by West Brom I remember there being loads of 'I told you so's from fans of other teams who said we were wrong to sack him despite clearly being finished. Swansea get the same for sacking Laudrup even now, but then you do have instances of Southampton sacking Adkins for Pochettino, Brighton swapping Hughton for Potter, Bournemouth sacking O'Neil for Iraola that worked out well. Would Morgan have been that ambitious? Doubtful.

If I remember right we were actually quite bad after the March international break despite getting a couple of wins, some seriously abject losses to all of Newcastle, Stoke, and Everton. We were rubbish in the second half of the win against Albion and got quite lucky. Probably only Sunderland away where we played well. The signs were there for the next season, although you can't predict those O'Hara and Johnson signings going a bad as they did.

I really enjoyed this season overall even if it was a real rollercoaster. There were games where we were utterly hopeless and then got some big wins against good teams. The one against Man United was brilliant and the win at Anfield was great too. The final day in general hard it all. Utter shit and relegation looming: Blackpool, Birmingham, and Wigan all on track for a result at various points in the day only for us to escape effectively on goal difference. Hunt's goal one of my favourite moments following Wolves.

Was a weird season. We had two spells of looking like a really good team with a 4231. In between a small spell where we were more direct in a 442 but quite effective. When we were bad we weee REALLY bad though.

Also was nice of Hunt to finally remember how to trap a ball at the all important moment.

A long, long time ago, I wrote a blog about that day on here, just to get it all straight.

It turned out that despite everything, we were actually only in one of the relegation positions for 18 minutes.

That's a outstanding write-up of the timeline of that crazy afternoon.

Law's Bus​

The Last Day​

Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.

7 Comments
by
Law's Bus
on 23rd May 2011 at 10:50 AM (1094 Views)
Jeez, what an emotional roller-coaster of a day. From the optimism of kick-off, to the drained depression of half-time, to the celebrations at full-time.

For me (and I suspect, most of the people in the stadium), it was a confusing picture. Barely hearing a crackly radio, data signals to smartphones not really working, and all manner of drama on the pitch made the day unforgettable.

So, how did it actually unfold?

After a minute played, the table looked like this (colums are points, GD, GS):
15 Blackburn 41 -14 43
16 Wolves 41 -19 44
17 Birmingham 40 -20 36
-----------------------------
18 Blackpool 40 -21 53
19 Wigan 40 -22 39
Twenty-two minutes in, Manchester United score against Blackpool.
15 Blackburn 41 -14 43
16 Wolves 41 -19 44
17 Birmingham 40 -20 36
18 Wigan 40 -22 39
19 Blackpool 39 -22 53
Two minutes later, Blackburn score at Molineux.
15 Blackburn 43 -13 44
16 Wolves 40 -20 44
17 Birmingham 40 -20 36
------------------------------
18 Wigan 40 -22 39
19 Blackpool 39 -22 53
We're still OK. But not for long, as Blackburn score again on 39 minutes, and we drop beneath Birmingham on goal difference and become the most vulnerable team to others...
15 Blackburn 43 -12 45
16 Birmingham 40 -20 36
17 Wolves 40 -21 44
18 Wigan 40 -22 39
19 Blackpool 39 -22 53
...which is exactly what happens two minutes later. Blackpool equalise against Manchester United, and because of their better goals scored, they go above us. As of 41 minutes in, we're relegated.
15 Blackburn 43 -12 45
16 Birmingham 40 -20 36
17 Blackpool 40 -21 54
18 Wolves 40 -21 44
19 Wigan 40 -22 39
Things get worse for us, as Blackburn score their third just before half time, and so we get the following table at the end of the first half. We're now above Wigan solely on goals scored. Knowing what we know now, it's interesting to see that Blackpool and Birmingham survive, whilst Wolves and Wigan are going down.
15 Blackburn 43 -11 46
16 Birmingham 40 -20 36
17 Blackpool 40 -21 54
18 Wolves 40 -22 44
19 Wigan 40 -22 39
Half time comes, and I don't move from my seat. I'm just sat there, stunned at the awful performance and wondering just how on earth it's managed to go completely wrong for us. The second half starts, and ten minutes in, some good news. Spurs score against Birmingham to put themselves 1-0 up and we're back out of the bottom three, but only on goals scored.
15 Blackburn 43 -11 46
16 Blackpool 40 -21 54
17 Wolves 40 -22 44
18 Wigan 40 -22 39
19 Birmingham 39 -21 36
Seventeen minutes into the second half, Blackpool take the lead against Man U, and look to be safe. It doesn't affect our position, but means that we're extra vulnerable.
15 Blackburn 43 -11 46
16 Blackpool 42 -20 55
17 Wolves 40 -22 44
18 Wigan 40 -22 39
19 Birmingham 39 -21 36
Turns out that they've just annoyed Man U, who respond to make it 2-2 after 23 minutes of the second half. So, we're back to where we were given that Blackpool have a massive goals scored advantage anyway. We're still out of the bottom three, and have so far spent 14 minutes in the relegation zone.
15 Blackburn 43 -11 46
16 Blackpool 40 -21 55
17 Wolves 40 -22 44
----------------------------
18 Wigan 40 -22 39
19 Birmingham 39 -21 36
33 minutes into the second half, Jamie O'Hara puts it away, sparking celebrations at Molineux, though it actually doesn't make much difference...
15 Blackburn 43 -12 46
16 Blackpool 40 -21 55
17 Wolves 40 -21 45
------------------------------
18 Wigan 40 -22 39
19 Birmingham 39 -21 36
...though Man Utd scoring and putting themselves 3-2 ahead against Blackpool within a minute of O'Hara's goal makes a difference. It puts Blackpool back in the relegation zone, from which they will never recover.
15 Blackburn 43 -12 46
16 Wolves 40 -21 45
17 Wigan 40 -22 39
----------------------------
18 Birmingham 39 -21 36
19 Blackpool 39 -22 55
The second half is now 38 minutes old, with 7 minutes to go in all the matches. Rather astonishingly, Wigan take the lead against Stoke, and we're back to being most vulnerable, but still out of the bottom three. It's also interesting to note that ourselves, Wigan and Birmingham all now have the same goal difference.
15 Blackburn 43 -12 46
16 Wigan 42 -21 40
17 Wolves 40 -21 45
18 Birmingham 39 -21 36
19 Blackpool 39 -22 55
Disaster strikes. Pretty much at the same time as Wigan score, Birmingham equalise against Spurs. We're now back in the bottom three on goal difference, and Molineux goes silent before the crowd tell the team what's required. Just one goal will do it, by putting us on the same goal difference as Birmingham, and putting them down on goals scored.
15 Blackburn 43 -12 46
16 Wigan 42 -21 40
17 Birmingham 40 -20 37
18 Wolves 40 -21 45
19 Blackpool 39 -22 55
Three minutes to go, and Man U score their fourth. Blackpool are now completely out of it, barring an utter miracle.
15 Blackburn 43 -12 46
16 Wigan 42 -21 40
17 Birmingham 40 -20 37
18 Wolves 40 -21 45
19 Blackpool 39 -23 55
It's now 5.46. We're in the bottom three, with three minutes to go in our game. We have three minutes to save ourselves before Stephen Hunt curls it into the corner for the one goal we need to put ourselves level on goal difference with Birmingham, but above them on goals scored.
15 Blackburn 43 -13 46
16 Wigan 42 -21 40
17 Wolves 40 -20 46
18 Birmingham 40 -20 37
19 Blackpool 39 -23 55
It's unbelievably close. If either Birmingham or Blackburn score, then we're back in the bottom three. Birmingham know that, and pile men forward, but get done on the counter and concede, putting Spurs 2-1 up in their game right on 90 minutes.
15 Blackburn 43 -13 46
16 Wigan 42 -21 40
17 Wolves 40 -20 46
18 Birmingham 39 -21 37
19 Blackpool 39 -23 55
There's no way Birmingham will score twice in the last couple of minutes of injury time, and so Molineux erupts. Blackburn have the ball and just pass it across their own 18 yard line, whilst we stand 10 yards off them, not even thinking about challenging for the ball. We're in Austria v Germany mode, and the tension starts to drain away. It seems like we've spent most of the match in the bottom three, but we've actually been there for only 18 minutes of the entire game, though those few minutes at the end were the worst.

I'm utterly exhausted, my daughter next to me looks as if she's been up for days, and people all around me are taking their seats out as a souvenir of the North Bank. What a day.

Next year, Mick, please don't put us through this again!

I certainly recall after the game I my over-riding emotion was one of relief but at the same time I was pretty angry after the abject 1st half performance.

I also felt the club had to sit back for a couple of weeks and let it all sink in and let the emotional rollercoaster settle down ie was Mick really going to be the one to keep us going forward ?

Although nowhere in my wildest dreams would I have foreseen what occurred in 11/12.

At that point I wouldn't have sacked Mick, but I wouldn't have been disappointed if we did. I absolutely would have after Swansea the following season

At that point I wouldn't have sacked Mick, but.I wouldn't have been disappointed if we did. I absolutely would have after Swansea the following season
Yup the alarm bells were now ringing very loud by late October.

Funnily enough we didn't hit the relegation spots until the 2-3 loss to Villa in January but the decline was now terminal.

I can't remember the exact game/time for me but it certainly would have been by November - the signs were obvious.

Funnily enough I reckon Jeff would have sacked Mick in the close season; after all he effectively sacked Nuno when we were in no danger of relegation.

Turner, Taylor, McGhee, Lee, McCarthy and now O'Neil once you lose the fans it becomes when not if, you are better ripping off the band aid

Back