• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Wolves Archive

Mick was a *bit* fortunate to survive during this season. Spent a lot thanks to Morgan's first wave of investment and we were horrible for a long spell. New owners tend to bring in their own manager as a rule too.

Mick6.png

@Kenny and I both thought he was a goner after that Palace defeat. Can't have been far off.

This run preceded it and while we were getting results it was horrendous to watch, dreadful football.

Mick7.png

You're probably right re Mick being a bit fortunate - I reckon the signing of SEB and his instant impact in terms of goals, results and general improvement in performance may have saved Mick.

He also very nearly left of his own accord. South Korea offered him the national job in the autumn and I get the impression it was very much a coin flip of a decision on his part to stay put.

Today’s update:

2008/09 Season (50 matches)

Championship = 1st (Champions - Promoted to the Premier League).
FA Cup = 4th Round.
League Cup = 2nd Round.
Top Goalscorer = Sylvan Ebanks-Blake (25).
Fans' Player Of The Season = Kevin Foley.
Players' Player Of The Season = Sylvan Ebanks-Blake.

Wolves enjoyed their best start to a season for almost fifty years, winning seven of their opening eight games and scoring 23 goals in the process. They led the table continuously from October until the season's end, when they were crowned champions, winning their first silverware in 20 years. Leading goalscorer Sylvan Ebanks-Blake also finished as the division's top scorer for a second consecutive season.

What was most impressive, especially in the first half of the season, was the entertaining and exciting way team played. With wide players in Michael Kightly and Matt Jarvis creating chances for the two main strikers in Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and off-season signing Chris Iwelumo, goals were plentiful. For me, it was the most consistently enjoyable football I’d seen Wolves play since the early 1970s.

After drawing their final two fixtures of 2008, Wolves endured a dismal start to 2009, winning just once in eleven league fixtures. Fortunately the teams chasing them, Birmingham and Reading, also endured poor patches, and by early March Wolves returned to form winning eight of their last eleven matches, to comfortably win the title by 8 points. It was Wolves most successful season in decades as they returned to the top flight after a five-year absence.

What a season.

Though how we got away with this run (don't think we ever even fell off top spot) is ridiculous.

08091.png

In fact, after checking - we went top after beating Swansea on 28 October and never moved from there.

It was like everyone else challenging for promotion had a bad slump at the same time - Reading really fell away after they beat us in late January.

2009 contrasted with the free-wheeling goals and excitement of 2008 where Wolves tended to grind out results, especially from March onwards.

My bezzie mate @Kenny sorted it. Went on honeymoon after that Plymouth game. While he was away we kept three clean sheets in a row and got back on track.

I do tell him he should leave the country, quite often. Mostly when he defends Olofinjana or Rankine.

The next 4 seasons - 2009/10 to 2012/13 - are a bit of a black hole.

Wolves played 180 competitive games of which I'll be releasing 112. Of the 68 matches missing I have highlights from 28 but YouTube/Premier League block them from being viewed due to copyright.

Now I have no issue with that but the Premier League has no vision of those matches available - in fact there's a dearth of games from the Premier League for any club available to view for seasons 2009/10, 2010/11 and 2011/12.

I was particularly disappointed I can't upload my cut of the famous last game of 2010/11 home against Blackburn. I've actually managed to construct a 5 minute highlight video of that match - I can only upload a very short video of Stephen Hunt's goal.

Our Championship relegation season of 2012/13 is a little better where I've to source 38 out of 50 matches but again some of the quality is rather average (14 of the 38 have no sound). Again coverage is quite sparse.

Normal service resumes from 2013/14 (where I have 50 out of 51 matches) and from 2014/15 onwards I have every game.

It is going to make selecting the tip Wolves goal of the 2010s quite challenging as there's not going to be any vision for some goals - but having just recut and upgraded matches from SD to HD for the latter half of the decade there's still quite a number of outstanding goals. A certain Bakary Sako scores quite a few screamers.

Given the humiliations of 2011/12 and 2012/13 it's probably a relief as it would give many a Wolves fans nightmares, but given this, I had already resolved, a few months ago, to develop a separate website. In fact, my son is going to help me - he's already started mapping it all out.

Planned release schedule (Oz time):
2009/10 Season = Oct 13th
2010/11 Season = Oct 15th
2011/12 Season = Oct 17th
2012/13 Season = Oct 21st
2013/14 Season = Oct 24th
2014/15 Season = Oct 28th

Then I have a break for 2 weeks plus whilst I drink cocktails by the pool at Vanuata with my good wife.

Yep, as we discussed a few months ago - clubs went down the crazy route of putting everything behind a stupid subscription model for a while and so all the footage gets lost.

A terrible business model.

Yep, as we discussed a few months ago - clubs went down the crazy route of putting everything behind a stupid subscription model for a while and so all the footage gets lost.

A terrible business model.
Don't tell our current gimp - it'd be another thing for him to fuck up.

To make it easier to view all 43 goals, I've created and uploaded the following video detailing all 43 goals as nominated by the members of The Wolves Forum.

Note the video runs for just under 25 minutes.

There are some simply fabulous goals to savour.

Today’s update:

2009/10 Season (30 matches)

Premier League = 15th.
FA Cup = 4th Round.
League Cup = 3rd Round.
Top Goalscorer = Kevin Doyle (9).
Fans' Player Of The Season = Jody Craddock.
Players' Player Of The Season = Kevin Doyle.

There was a general air of confidence with Wolves return to the Premier League after a five-year absence. Unlike 2003/04, the team was fresh and young with a dynamic attack so optimism was strong for a positive showing.

The summer transfer window saw the arrival of 9 new recruits in total (7 permanent and 2 loans) at a cost of £18.5 million. The most notable new addition was Irish international striker Kevin Doyle, signed for a club record fee of £6.5 million from Championship side Reading. Doyle would have a tremendous impact in his first season for Wolves.

The season began with a 0–2 loss to West Ham United in the club's first Premier League fixture in five years. Wolves immediately bounced back by winning on the road at Wigan Athletic, giving the club their first ever away win in the modern Premier League. This was followed up by a narrow 1-0 loss at Manchester City where Wolves where quite unlucky not to force a draw.

The comparison to 2003/04 was stark where in that season Wolves lost 5 of their opening 6 games, earning only 1 point whilst only scoring 2 and conceding 17 goals. Whereas in 2009/10 Wolves had earned 7 points scored 5 and conceding 8 goals.

As the season progressed, manager Mick McCarthy became increasingly pragmatic and changed his formation from his standard 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1 with Doyle acting as the lone striker, where he performing outstandingly as the club’s leading goalscorer for the season. Unfortunately, the club’s previous leading marksman in Sylvan Ebanks-Blake was invariably sacrificed, as he started the season struggling with injuries and only started 12 league games for the season scoring 2 goals.

The defensive nature of McCarthy’s 4-5-1 system resulted in Wolves being generally hard to break down. In 2003/04 Wolves had conceded 4 or more goals in 8 games, whereas in 2009/10 they conceded 4 or more goals in only 3 games, and in one of those games, a 5-2 loss at Sunderland, the result flattered the hosts where Wolves were actually the better team on the day.

Wolves only lost 2 out of their last 10 games, avoiding relegation, and finishing 15th, some 8 points clear of the relegation zone. Survival was confirmed with 2 games to spare, with a respectable haul of 38 points for the season. This marked the first time they had avoided relegation from the highest level since 1980/81, nearly 30 years ago.

Although Wolves spent their entire time in the bottom half of the league, they were only in the relegation spots for only 6 weeks of the season; unlike in 2003/04 where they only spent 4 weeks out of the relegation spots.

Although Wolves had finished the division's lowest goalscorers (with 32), their strong defensive resolve meant they had conceded the least of the bottom 8 (56), creating the formula for their survival.

NOTE: Starting from this season 2009/10 then to 2012/13 - the match highlights are a bit of a black hole.

Wolves played 180 competitive games of which I'll be releasing 112. Of the 68 matches missing I have highlights from 28 but YouTube/Premier League block them from being viewed due to copyright.

Now I have no issue with that but the Premier League has no vision of those matches available - in fact there's a dearth of games from the Premier League for any club available to view for seasons 2009/10, 2010/11 and 2011/12.

Our Championship relegation season of 2012/13 is a little better where I've to source 38 out of 50 matches but again some of the quality is rather average (14 of the 38 have no sound). Again coverage is quite sparse.

Normal service resumes from 2013/14 (where I have 50 out of 51 matches) and from 2014/15 onwards I have every game.

Forget sometimes Craddock won fans player of the season, ludicrous. Doyle was immense. I prefer to remember him for his first 12-18 months as after that he was a shadow of the player

We love a nonsense Player of the Year award.

1994: Thompson
1995: Rankine
2004: Camara
2009: Foley (and I loved Kev in the Championship, but FFS, peak SEB and Kightly were in that team)
2010: Craddock
2015: Stearman
2016: Doherty

All absolutely ridiculous

As for the season itself, the win at West Ham (where we were genuinely excellent - Jarvis and Doyle terrorised them on the night) put us very much in the driving seat for survival and we only needed a handful of points to seal the deal. So played for 0-0s. Which led to a truly HORRIFIC spectacle for a while :D

0910.png

Means to an end and I totally get it, but my word was that hard to watch.

The Stoke game was on my birthday as well. Jesus.

13 goals at home all season and 2 were on the final day in a dead rubber vs Sunderland.

Back