• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Wolves Archive

There's a clear line between an awful signing (too much money, didn't want to be here, didn't fit the system, was a knobhead, was too old etc etc) and just a rubbish player.

Paskin is in Category B along with the likes of Nouble, Cassidy and crap short term loans like Sagbo, Holt, Small etc and Taylor is in Category A along with Fabio Silva, Guedes, O'Hara, Frankowski and Johnson etc. Although Taylor is one where the Venn diagram does overlap a fair bit. He was never up to Championship level, way too slow and his fitness was a disgrace, even if we'd paid £150k rather than £1.5m.

My Grandad's first hero was Billy Wright but in the generation that followed, Frank Munro wasn't far behind him. He absolutely loved him, I grew up on tales of this superb centre half who couldn't just defend, he could play too.
Started off as a midfielder so was decent o the ball. Certainly one of my heroes.

Today’s update:

2002/03 Season (56 matches)

Season Summary:
Division 1 = 5th (Play Off Winners - Promoted to the Premiership)
FA Cup = Quarter-Finalist
League Cup = 2nd Round

In contrast to the heavy spending of the previous close season, 2002 saw the club recruit four players on free transfers. Two of these incoming players were however high-profile deals, with former England captain Paul Ince signing alongside ex-Manchester United stalwart Denis Irwin on one-year deals.

So Wolves now had 3 midfielders aged 31 in Colin Cameron, 34 in Alex Rae and 35 in Paul Ince - a nice round century ! And to cap it off Irwin was 38, with Paul Butler and Nathan Blake aged 30. The squad had a feel of Dad’s Army about it.

Now individually most of the players played well but could the squad sustain a promotion challenge after the huge disappointment of the previous season ?

But in contrast to the elder members of the squad, Wolves boasted a new outstanding young goalkeeper in Matt Murray, who sadly, only played 2 full seasons in his nearly 12 years at Wolves. His career was curtailed by numerous injuries, and he retired at the age of 29 which was tragic as he was, IMO, the best shot stopper and goalkeeper to pull on a Wolves shirt for at least 60 years.

The season began strongly with an opening day draw followed by three successive victories that put the club at the top of the table. Their form soon dipped though, and the next seven games brought just one win. An upturn saw a 10-game unbeaten run return the team to the play-off positions. The Christmas/New Year period though brought a return of just two points from a possible 15.

With this drop in form, manager Dave Jones faced criticism from chairman Sir Jack Hayward at the turn of the year, publicly reminding him that he had promised to deliver automatic promotion. With the club lying 10th in the league, some 16 points from the top two, the FA Cup provided a welcome distraction as the team entered their best performance of the campaign so far to eliminate Premier League high flyers Newcastle United in a thrilling match; plus it led to an exciting FA Cup run which saw them reach the Quarter Finals.

In sharp contrast to 2002 the 2nd half of the season in 2023 saw Wolves only lose 2 games out of 21 league matches, which yielded a final 5th place which meant they would play Reading in the Play-Off semi-final.

Still home form was again unsatisfactory. Out of 23 games at Molineux Wolves only won 9, drew 10 and lost 4. In contrast to their away form which was the 2nd best in the division, behind runaway champions Portsmouth.

Another interesting fact was that Wolves actually scored 104 competitive goals during the season - 81 in the League, 6 in the Play-Offs, 7 in the League Cup and 10 in the FA Cup. When the team was on song they had the ability to take teams apart.

But back to the Play Offs, and Wolves secured a narrow 2-1 win at home against Reading but would it be enough ? Well a tense game followed at Reading where the deadlock was broken by a sublime Alex Rae goal in the 81st minute sealing a Wolves win for the game and the tie.

For me Alex Rae ranks in the top half-dozen midfielders for Wolves in the last 50 years - I just loved his attitude and commitment.

Now onto the Play-Off Final against Sheffield United which was played at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff (as Wembley was being rebuilt). Wolves won the game decisively with three first-half goals by Mark Kennedy, Nathan Blake and top goalscorer Kenny Miller bringing a 3–0 triumph, preserved by goalkeeper Matt Murray who saved a second half penalty from Michael Brown as part of his man of the match performance. Note the release today also includes a full match video.

Promotion to the Premiership ended a 19-year absence from the top level of English football for the club and a fourteen-year stay in the same division. It also brought owner Sir Jack Hayward his dream of Premier League football at his 13th attempt.

But did Wolves have the squad and the mettle to meet the challenge of playing in the Premiership in 2003/04 ?

I’d imagine there would have been a fair few TWF members who would have attended that match at Cardiff, and I’d love to hear your thoughts and memories of that great day.

I should also add, the channel has now surpassed over 1,000 matches, so I’m just over half way now as I have over 1,960 games (as of today) to eventually upload.

Last edited:
Back