• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Wolves Archive

I am only taking a quick glance at the 1978 Scotland world cup squad as a snapshot of what was in front of him to get international caps at the start of his career.

Forwards 1978
Kenny Dalglish, Joe Jordan, Lou Macari, Derek Johnstone, John Robertson, Joe Harper (me neither on him!)

Moving on to 1982 Gray was up against
Dalglish, Alan Brazil, John Robertson, Joe Jordan, Steve Archibald, Paul Sturrock, Davie Provan

It's easy to take the piss out of Scotland for their perennial failure to get out of group stages, but the competition for forward positions was pretty strong when Gray was at his best.

He should have gone in 1978 (when he played for Aston Villa) - he was absolutely at his prime.

In was the top scorer in the 1st Division in 1976/77 with 25 goals and scored another 20 in 1977/78 - I believe he was the most prolific Scottish goalscorer at the time.

He'd already been capped (debut in 1975) and had 6 caps for 3 goals.

Not so for 1982 when he was at Wolves given Wolves woeful 1981/82 season.

Scotland had quite a few low caps oddities through the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Ron Yeats: 2 caps
Alan Hansen: 26 caps
Steve Nicol: 27 caps
Frank Munro: 9 caps
Duncan Ferguson: 7 caps
Charlie Nicholas: 20 caps
Frank McAvennie: 5 caps
Graeme Sharp: 12 caps

I forgot about Frank Munro - a superbly talented centre-back (missed out in going to the 1974 World Cup). IMO he was the best Wolves centre-back in the last 50 years.

Last edited:
My Grandad's first hero was Billy Wright but in the generation that followed, Frank Munro wasn't far behind him. He absolutely loved him, I grew up on tales of this superb centre half who couldn't just defend, he could play too.

My Grandad's first hero was Billy Wright but in the generation that followed, Frank Munro wasn't far behind him. He absolutely loved him, I grew up on tales of this superb centre half who couldn't just defend, he could play too.
Absolutely !

He joined Wolves from Aberdeen as an inside forward (he scored a hat-trick in the 66/67 USA Final between Wolves and Aberdeen).

It was one of the few genuine successful tactical/player switches that McGarry ever did at Wolves.

Hateful hypothetical:

Would you rather sub off Bull for Paskin or Semedo for Doherty?
Oh, the latter, definitely.

There isn't a modern parallel for the Bull/Paskin switch. Maybe if Johnstone got injured and we had to bring Tom King on, that's about as close as you'll get.

It wasn't just Scottish keepers that were shite . . . their managers were as well.

@KiwiWolf61 you’ll find that my knowledge of pre-2010 Wolves is spotty at absolute best. Hopefully Paskin isn’t a mate of yours! 😅

This Paskin guy must have been spectacularly awful!
Imagine someone with the pace of Elvis in Vegas Diego Costa combined with the goal threat of Jake Cassidy and the skill level of Frank Nouble.

That Hansen stat is insane

It wasn't just Scottish keepers that were shite . . . their managers were as well.
Our old "friend" Tommy Docherty had a go in the early 70s. Thankfully he's before my time in terms of Wolves, those on here who were around then hold him in the same kind of esteem that I hold Saunders.

I'd still have Robert Taylor ahead of him as bad buys/wastes of a shirt. Mike Small's two or three game loan cameo also deserves a mention.

I'd still have Robert Taylor ahead of him as bad buys/wastes of a shirt. Mike Small's two or three game loan cameo also deserves a mention.
Mike Small. Such contrasting goals at Sunderland, Small gets a ball booted off his arse and trickles in and goes full Leroy Lita for 30 minutes and then Geoff Thomas runs 2 miles from box to box and does a little Harry Kane at the end. Small you stupid cunt.

Back