• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

No I was trying to land on the top but it worked better that way!!

I got three games over the weekend as was getting bored with my current selection. Not all new releases but just something different -

* Dirt Rally
* Sonic Mania Plus
* Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Edition

The bottom two were mainly forced on to me by the Mrs. She wanted a couple of games to play while I'm at work etc. My next buy will be FIFA19, but me and my mates are looking at the new Red Dead to be the next big group game.

Is that Sonic game the old 2D classics in a retro collection?

Games With Gold on XBL had Streets of Rage 1-3 a month or so back - CLASSIC stuff, great to get them for free.

I'm almost exclusively on Sea of Thieves at the moment (one of the best games I've ever played - just tremendous fun) but now there's been a massive update and it's available on Xbox I'm tempted by No Man's Sky. RDR 2 is an essential purchase. As is FIFA as it'll have Molineux on it for the first time!

I got three games over the weekend as was getting bored with my current selection. Not all new releases but just something different -

* Dirt Rally
* Sonic Mania Plus
* Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Edition

The bottom two were mainly forced on to me by the Mrs. She wanted a couple of games to play while I'm at work etc. My next buy will be FIFA19, but me and my mates are looking at the new Red Dead to be the next big group game.
Dirt Rally is fucking awesome. I bought it when it was in early access on Steam and I still play it today.

Langers did you check out NMS? That's actually what I came to post about, a friend of mine picked it up (I haven't played since release) and sucked me back in.

I saw it when it first came out on PS4 but I remember thinking it was a bit empty, but it sounds like the massive new update has sorted a lot of the issues out that I had with it.

My friends who have gone back to it have said it's miles better now - might ask for it for a birthday present, which is about a month away.

What do you make of it post-update?

It's a night and day difference. However, I would still say there isn't a *ton* of content. The core game is still pretty much the same circular tasks of resource collecting, upgrading, and star jumping. Whereas before that was literally all there was to do, at least now there are side missions, more interactivity with aliens, better space battles, different ships, more categorization of items, base building, etc.

I'm guessing I'll put in another 10-20 hours and get bored again, but the type of minutia this game excels in is the type that I'm easily suckered into. I would have been happy if this were the content at launch.

If you've got nice graphics a lot of the visual updates are pretty great. Rings on planets, atmospheric clouding as you enter/leave planets, etc.

Is that Sonic game the old 2D classics in a retro collection?
It is, mate. We played it for a fair bit over the weekend. I think the Mrs enjoyed it more than me as I was never a huge Sonic player back in the day but she was. The Street Fighter game is the same - a 2D collection/remaster of the old classics (like 10 games in 1).

I'm almost exclusively on Sea of Thieves at the moment (one of the best games I've ever played - just tremendous fun)

I'll pass that feedback onto my cousin... he is the senior game designer on this and his inspiration for the game came from when we used to make treasure maps as kids and go wandering around the streets of new invention and short heath on the hunt for buried treasure! never found much mind! also obv things like monkey island / goonies etc played a part as we played / watched those loads during those treasure hunting years.

Having said that I have to hang my head in shame and say I haven't played this game as I have a PS4, keep looking at getting XBOne just to play this....

I'll pass that feedback onto my cousin... he is the senior game designer on this and his inspiration for the game came from when we used to make treasure maps as kids and go wandering around the streets of new invention and short heath on the hunt for buried treasure! never found much mind! also obv things like monkey island / goonies etc played a part as we played / watched those loads during those treasure hunting years.

Having said that I have to hang my head in shame and say I haven't played this game as I have a PS4, keep looking at getting XBOne just to play this....

That's ace - what's his name? I often watch the developer's videos on YouTube because this is quite a unique game for content updates/feedback from players etc. Would he be on any of those?

It'd be a fairly bland game if it wasn't for the superb player interaction. But it's designed exactly for the interaction and it works amazingly.

Big update today so I'll download it as soon as I get home so I can start finding the new AI controlled skeleton crew ships.

That's ace - what's his name? I often watch the developer's videos on YouTube because this is quite a unique game for content updates/feedback from players etc. Would he be on any of those?

It'd be a fairly bland game if it wasn't for the superb player interaction. But it's designed exactly for the interaction and it works amazingly.

Big update today so I'll download it as soon as I get home so I can start finding the new AI controlled skeleton crew ships.

Mike Chapman, he has done loads of videos recently and promo work.
He was over in the US recently hanging around with Freddie Prinze Jr as he is a uber-fan of the game... Mike was saying that he was referring to his wife and then it dawned on him... Sarah Michelle Gellar!! Shame he never got to meet her

Yeah I saw they went over to Comic Con or whatever it's called and FPJ was there with them. The name rings a bell - I bet I've seen him on some of the developer videos.

Fucking hell I'm a Vention lad, can't believe Sea of thieves is so close to home. My crew will get together tonight for the Cursed Sails.

$#@!ing hell I'm a Vention lad, can't believe Sea of thieves is so close to home. My crew will get together tonight for the Cursed Sails.

The Vention was a far off place when we were lads, from Short Heath it was a long walk down the alley past the woods, over the field, past the park and then past the library - I wish we still had some of our treasure maps from back in the day.

All this talk of SoT is tempting me to get a XBOne, only just bought a PS4! Currently playing LA Noire, GT Sport and Fifa 18 on that. Also enjoy Trackmania as a multiplayer game...

The Cursed Sails is insanely good fun!!

Phil - do you have a PC? SoT is on that too and you can play cross platform.

Had so much fun over the rails, yeah I know that walk in my head. Remember Forest Gate field with the big green football changing rooms. Sadly the old library has gone now as well.

Phil - do you have a PC? SoT is on that too and you can play cross platform.

Only a pretty old laptop and tbh I prefer console gaming now. Used to have a decent gaming PC years ago but got fed up of updating it so got into console gaming when the 360 came out as much cheaper way of getting latest games...

Gonna buy a preowned copy of Red Dead Redemption on PS3 later and play back through it, ready for RDR2 release in October.

Gonna buy a preowned copy of Red Dead Redemption on PS3 later and play back through it, ready for RDR2 release in October.

Just what I'm doing. Its better than you remember - truly one of the great games.

Back